Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is BA GVA check-in trying to stress me out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is BA GVA check-in trying to stress me out?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Some staff, some times, do not give the sort of service that one should expect.
Nice staff, doing their best, do improve a journey.
Looks like the check in person was not trying to delight you.
I know that happens. I'm sure a bit of a rant helps. I do not understand why you are being questioned. Life is too short.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:00 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
It's best not to expect any sort of "service" these days. Looks like the OP did the right thing in ensuring sufficient information was available to make his own decisions, rather than relying on anybody else.
aristoph and Ancient Observer like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by V10
It's best not to expect any sort of "service" these days...........
Oh dear ..... bit of a depressing thought !

Do you mean specifically in the case of airlines - or life in general ... ?

OTOH I can see your point ..... but OTOH I make use of a fair number of shops, restaurants, and hotels where I can (invariably) be sure of good service standards.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:31 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

Oh dear ..... bit of a depressing thought !

Do you mean specifically in the case of airlines - or life in general ... ?

OTOH I can see your point ..... but OTOH I make use of a fair number of shops, restaurants, and hotels where I can (invariably) be sure of good service standards.
Generally.

I tend to be cynical. It serves me well.
aristoph and subject2load like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Sometimes trying to be helpful can backfire. Maybe the security and passport control queue was huge just earlier.

I had a situation at OSL where the exit passport control queue was ridiculously long for both EU and non-EU and not moving. However, apparently it was empty just 30 minutes before, and 10 minutes after I was stuck in the queue for 55 minutes, it was completely empty again. Anyone who didn't see the queues probably thought "what the...?" if anyone mentioned the queue.

Maybe there is as innocent an explanation as that.

It would be a sad day when we all start putting negative interpretation to people's motivations. In most cases, I do not believe people are motivated to inconvenience you, however native that may seem to some.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
what on earth would be her motivation to "stress you?"

My guess is that she gave you the best information she had, which turned out to be not completely accurate.
She may not have intended to stress me of course, but advising a passenger (unreasonably) to allow 1h 45m to go the gate is foreseeable likely to cause stress for a less experienced traveller.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by aristoph

She may not have intended to stress me of course, but advising a passenger (unreasonably) to allow 1h 45m to go the gate is foreseeable likely to cause stress for a less experienced traveller.
Why would going to the gate early stress someone out? Surely getting to the gate late would cause that problem? Glad you arrived only 7 minutes late.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Sometimes trying to be helpful can backfire. Maybe the security and passport control queue was huge just earlier.

I had a situation at OSL where the exit passport control queue was ridiculously long for both EU and non-EU and not moving. However, apparently it was empty just 30 minutes before, and 10 minutes after I was stuck in the queue for 55 minutes, it was completely empty again. Anyone who didn't see the queues probably thought "what the...?" if anyone mentioned the queue.

Maybe there is as innocent an explanation as that.

It would be a sad day when we all start putting negative interpretation to people's motivations. In most cases, I do not believe people are motivated to inconvenience you, however native that may seem to some.
I have no idea what her motivation was but she was not motivated to engage with me as a premium passenger and give me considered advice on my options in the airport.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Is this your flight? 07 Jul 2019
London (LCY)Geneva (GVA)
BA2287 1:10 17:45 18:25 20:20Landed 20:35 07 Jul 2019
Geneva (GVA)London (LCY)
BA2286—20:55— 21:30 Estimated departure 21:07
Seems you did depart a tad late and arrived a some minutes late? 07 Jul 2019Geneva (GVA)London (LCY)E190 (G-LCYP)
Landed 21:36
Being used to the last LHR-Man (1404) this is, to honest nothing. At least the GF are on the ball with info when requested.
Have a safe trip home.

Last edited by Telecasterman; Jul 7, 2019 at 3:04 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
Why would going to the gate early stress someone out? Surely getting to the gate late would cause that problem? Glad you arrived only 7 minutes late.
if my mother arrived at the airport 1h45m and was told to go straight to the gate because of the length of passport queues I can guarantee you that would stress her no end (until she got to the gate breathless and overwrought with 1h to spare).

Yup, we landed 15 mins late (don’t trust your sources completely) and we enjoyed 55 minutes in the dnata lounge, time for TWO G&T s :-)
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:58 pm

What information do you think she had? Do you think she knew the airport was empty or is it possible that it was busy a short while ago and that she was trying to look out for you? Do you think she knew the inbound was running a few minutes late? I doubt it. Yes, I grant you, she should have known about the lounge closure. I think you're overthinking your encounter with the agent.
So what does she know? If she cannot be expected to know the status of a flight how can she know the status of the airport? I presume it is as preposterous to think she would actually have first-hand evidence the plane is at the game as to think she wanders the airport and goes through security to evaluate how long the queue is. Thus she has to get it from somewhere else. The Internet? Airline communication?

There are rare instances when the check-in agent is looking out for you. In my experience, those are usually the ones who say "oh, your flight is delayed. Let me make sure your connection is still ok." Not the ones who make no comment about your flight being on-time or not.
aristoph likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 9, 2019 at 9:18 am Reason: Thread tidy up
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Seems you did part a tad late and arrived a few minutes late? 07 Jul 2019Geneva (GVA)London (LCY)E190 (G-LCYP)
1:1220:55
21:2421:30Landed 21:36
Being used to the last LHR-Man (1404) this is, to honest nothing. At least the GF are on the ball with info when requested.
Have a safe trip home.
? I never once complained about the delay, here or to the check in assistant. I simply found it odd that she advised me to go straight to the gate when there was 1h45m before estimated (and actual) departure.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:59 pm

I guess you have never been to any airports in the USA.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by aristoph

I have no idea what her motivation was but she was not motivated to engage with me as a premium passenger and give me considered advice on my options in the airport.
I am diagnosing Sundaynightitis with a concurrent case of agentia subprimis 😀.
aristoph likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I guess you have never been to any airports in the USA.
No, apart from living here and traveling by air on a regular basis you're right. Oh, there's that sarcasm again.

Seriously though, if I end up at a gate really early and there's no lounge to use I'd normally nip across to another gate nearby which is not being used, plug in my laptop and get some work done. I don't find it remotely stressful. I find being late for things a bit stressful not the reverse.
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 9, 2019 at 9:18 am Reason: Thread tidy up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.