Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is BA GVA check-in trying to stress me out?

Why is BA GVA check-in trying to stress me out?

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by aristoph

not departing at 2107h for sure...
Fair enough - its on the ground at GVA. For me I disregard scheduled departures, certainly at LHR its more about arrival time. Seems your flight will arrive on time at LCY?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I’m truly fascinated by some of the replies on here. I was in no way inconvenienced or stressed but genuinely think the agent did not offer good service in the scenario. YMMV.
I think the thread title had something to do with that.

I do agree with you that the agent should have informed you about the lounge but I don't think your other points pass the 'reasoanable' test.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
We all know it’s Monday tomorrow ......

I think you are overthinking this. She could have given better information (certainly about the lounge) but I’m sure she wasn’t deliberately messing you around. I am occasionally quick to judge and make assumptions, but when I think in the cold light of day, crossed-wires and misplaced good-intentions are far more likely than anything malign.

Don’t agree she would know the inbound a/c timings btw.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

Well I’m not sure what was going on in the multiple previous times when a BA check in agent has said to me “Your flight is running 20 minutes late at the moment, but please keep an eye on the departures screen”. Plus it was even posted as a late departure on the airport screens so not much to figure out here.

I’m truly fascinated by some of the replies on here. I was in no way inconvenienced or stressed but genuinely think the agent did not offer good service in the scenario. YMMV.
She’s trying to make her and her colleagues’ life as easy as possible. Get the self loading freight at the gate so then boarding / dispatch becomes easier. She probably couldn’t care less about you, that you’re a business class customer / that you have lounge access. You’re just one of the 300+ people she’ll have to endure today. Wouldn’t life be easier without any customers? New day same sh..

I think you got a bad agent / someone having a bad day.

Some people take that outlook!
aristoph and justin_krusty like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Me too !

But then in truth, it’s far from unusual. One sees countless posts on FT - both on the BAEC or other sub-forums - where people will seek to defend airlines and their staff at almost any cost, regardless of how substandard the customer service provided might be.
aristoph and DYKWIA like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I think the thread title had something to do with that.

I do agree with you that the agent should have informed you about the lounge but I don't think your other points pass the 'reasoanable' test.
I do think she was trying to stress me (but failing); if it were a more irregular (average) flyer I would have headed straight to the gate and spent 1h15m there wondering why I had bothered! And I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect her to try to advise me how to maximise my experience as a premium customer.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load

Me too !

But then in truth, it’s far from unusual. One sees countless posts on FT - both on the BAEC or other sub-forums - where people will seek to defend airlines and their staff at almost any cost, regardless of how substandard the customer service provided might be.
Or perhaps just apply some balance and ‘what is most likely’ to the OP’s original post?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krispy84
We all know it’s Monday tomorrow ......

I think you are overthinking this. She could have given better information (certainly about the lounge) but I’m sure she wasn’t deliberately messing you around. I am occasionally quick to judge and make assumptions, but when I think in the cold light of day, crossed-wires and misplaced good-intentions are far more likely than anything malign.

Don’t agree she would know the inbound a/c timings btw.
she should make it her business to know about delays, especially when they’re on the airport screen. And I can’t believe the BA system doesn’t alert her to delays.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:28 pm

Or perhaps just apply some balance and ‘what is most likely’ to the OP’s original post?
I’m being totally honest when I say that I’m struggling to understand what you actually mean here
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:28 pm

she should make it her business to know about delays, especially when they’re on the airport screen. And I can’t believe the BA system doesn’t alert her to delays.
The best agents should and would, I agree. Unfortunately most agents, for most airlines, aren’t the best. I don’t routinely calibrate my expectations at the top end, particularly at an outstation with contract staff.
Oaxaca and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:33 pm

I’m being totally honest when I say that I’m struggling to understand what you actually mean here
I read the thread title and first post to mean that the OP thought the checkin agent was deliberately trying to stress him out. I don’t think most reasonable FTers would think that was the most likely explanation.
morges1, golfmad and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA

I do think she was trying to stress me (but failing); if it were a more irregular (average) flyer I would have headed straight to the gate and spent 1h15m there wondering why I had bothered! And I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect her to try to advise me how to maximise my experience as a premium customer.
what on earth would be her motivation to "stress you?"

My guess is that she gave you the best information she had, which turned out to be not completely accurate.
wrp96, golfmad, Edina and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
what on earth would be her motivation to "stress you?"
looks like she picked the wrong person if that's what she wanted to do
golfmad, nancypants and TTmex like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:46 pm

I read the thread title and first post to mean that the OP thought the checkin agent was deliberately trying to stress him out. I don’t think most reasonable FTers would think that was the most likely explanation.

Fair enough.

Would agree that the agent most likely had no conscious intention to ‘stress’ the OP and perhaps a more appropriate choice of words would be “encourage me to ....” (or something similar)

Nonetheless I find it very hard to dispute this succinct summary by the OP of the episode as a whole :

And I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect her to try to advise me how to maximise my experience as a premium customer”.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Here we go again. How very predictable. I don't see anything in this thread defending the airline. I see people disagreeing with the OP (apart from the lounge information) that the agent did anything wrong or was trying to stress out the OP. But sure, let's put this down to blinkered people defending the airline at all costs
wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.