Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is BA GVA check-in trying to stress me out?

Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Just checked in 1930h for the 2055h GVA-LCY flight. The lady at the Club Europe desk was pleasant enough but told me to go straight to the gate as there are likely to be big lines at security and passport control, especially passport control she emphasised. She didnt bother to tell me that the BA lounge was closed but I would be welcome to visit the dnata lounge; thanks to FT I already knew this and am now relaxing with a G&T in this lounge having cleared security in an absolute record - the airport appears to be deserted. I just fired up the app to check the arrival of the inbound to discover it left late and so we are delayed by 20 minutes - so I have at least an hour to wait in the lounge! Im just puzzled why she must have known all of these things - empty airport; delayed flight; passenger with lounge access - but instead tried to stress me into heading straight to the God-forsaken satellite pods at GVA where Id have to pay Sfr 10 for a beer and go whistle for a G&T! Arent they supposed to try and make the experience better for their loyal customers???
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I very much suspect that the agent was trying to help and I'm sure the agent was not trying to add to your stress levels.
Edina likes this.

Last edited by golfmad; Jul 9, 2019 at 8:28 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Just enjoy, Plane on time? Good check in imho, fast process through security, you know about your lounge options (via Flyertalk etc...) " am now relaxing with a G&T" ...enjoy T
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
The thing stressing me out most in this thread is that the GVA lounge is closed - which I hadn't realised! Flying back from there in a weeks time.... When's it due to re-open?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by flyer_tom
The thing stressing me out most in this thread is that the GVA lounge is closed - which I hadn't realised! Flying back from there in a weeks time.... When's it due to re-open?
GVA lounge arrangements from 28 May to late 2019 etc....
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:50 pm

What information do you think she had? Do you think she knew the airport was empty or is it possible that it was busy a short while ago and that she was trying to look out for you? Do you think she knew the inbound was running a few minutes late? I doubt it. Yes, I grant you, she should have known about the lounge closure. I think you're overthinking your encounter with the agent.
Edina and nancypants like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 9, 2019 at 8:52 am Reason: Thread tidy up
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad

What information do you think she had? Do you think she knew the airport was empty or is it possible that it was busy a short while ago and that she was trying to look out for you? Do you think she knew the inbound was running a few minutes late? I doubt it. Yes, I grant you, she should have known about the lounge closure. I think you're overthinking your encounter with the agent.
She should have known the inbound was late. She should have advised all Club and GCH/SCH about the lounge; and she shouldn’t have advised me to go straight to the gate when I checked in 1h25m before scheduled departure and 1h45m before actual depart time. I was in no way stressed (not sure why this wasn’t clear from my post) but I think if I were an average BA passenger and followed her advice I would not have been well served.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 9, 2019 at 8:52 am Reason: Thread clean up
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:00 pm

Is this your flight? 07 Jul 2019
London (LCY)Geneva (GVA)
BA2287 1:10 17:45 18:25 20:20Landed 20:35 07 Jul 2019
Geneva (GVA)London (LCY)
BA2286—20:55— 21:30 Estimated departure 21:07
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I'm with you, aristoph. Sounds quite frustrating - robotic at best, deceitful at worst. Some people are happy to waste cumulatively hundreds of hours of their life going to the gate because a screen or announcment says "go to gate" or "boarding" even when it is physically impossible - I am not one of them
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by aristoph

... but I think if I were an average BA passenger ...
How are you not an average BA customer? What is an average BA customer?
flygirl68, Edina and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

She should have known the inbound was late. She should have advised all Club and GCH/SCH about the lounge; and she shouldnt have advised me to go straight to the gate when I checked in 1h25m before scheduled departure and 1h45m before actual depart time. I was in no way stressed (not sure why this wasnt clear from my post) but I think if I were an average BA passenger and followed her advice I would not have been well served.
Thoughts and prayers hun.

oxoxoxoxo
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Is this your flight? 07 Jul 2019
London (LCY)Geneva (GVA)
BA2287 1:10 17:45 18:25 20:20Landed 20:35 07 Jul 2019
Geneva (GVA)London (LCY)
BA228620:55 21:30 Estimated departure 21:07
not departing at 2107h for sure...
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:07 pm

not departing at 2107h for sure...
How is the agent supposed to know this? Can you imagine if they start telling people it's going to be late and then it's not?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
How are you not an average BA customer? What is an average BA customer?
someone who flies them 1-2 times a year at most; same as every other airlines average passenger.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
How is the agent supposed to know this? Can you imagine if they start telling people it's going to be late and then it's not?
Well Im not sure what was going on in the multiple previous times when a BA check in agent has said to me Your flight is running 20 minutes late at the moment, but please keep an eye on the departures screen. Plus it was even posted as a late departure on the airport screens so not much to figure out here.

Im truly fascinated by some of the replies on here. I was in no way inconvenienced or stressed but genuinely think the agent did not offer good service in the scenario. YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.