FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Gate BP bleep for exit row: but not consistent? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1977075-gate-bp-bleep-exit-row-but-not-consistent.html)

trueblu Jul 7, 2019 1:27 am

Gate BP bleep for exit row: but not consistent?

Getting on HKG-LHR last night, booked in W in exit row: got the "bleep" when my BP was scanned, and for a moment I thought I've been op-upped (I knew the flight was very full). But no, gate agent was just checking I was OK with sitting in an exit row. Fair enough...but it so happens that the person immediately in front of me was my neighbour, and they didn't get the bleep.

Now admittedly, he was far taller and stronger: is BAs AI/ IT somehow making a value judgement about my suitability in an emergency <j>??

To the point: why did my BP beep, but not my neighbour's?

tb

windowontheAside Jul 7, 2019 1:29 am

Did you check in online?

Perhaps they'd checked in with a human who had already verified their suitability.

trueblu Jul 7, 2019 1:34 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 31277211)
Did you check in online?

Perhaps they'd checked in with a human who had already verified their suitability.

Good point, I was connecting from PEK, so this was the first time a human had checked with me. I only occasionally choose the exit row, so can't recall if I'm usually asked at check-in if it's the immediate next sector.

tb

volar Jul 7, 2019 2:05 am

I’d wondered about this too. On a recent trip, two of us travelling on separate bookings on adjacent exit row seats and both checked in online. He got the beep and I didn’t. Perhaps the lounge agent can pre-clear this as that was the only human interaction in the process?

corporate-wage-slave Jul 7, 2019 2:23 am

You will get bleeped at the gate if they didn't clear it down at an earlier opportunity. Those with checked luggage who don't change seats thereafter shouldn't get a bleep, and at some of the lounges (including some Third Party ones) they clear down the message pro-actively, and typically don't ask if you have status, there's a presumption you know what you are doing. If HBO at most out stations you will normally get bleeped.

The reason for the bleep is this where self service may lead to people trying it on, when they are clearly too frail, too large or too young to operate a bulky 25 kgs door with a weird centre of gravity. It's harder than it looks.

Swanhunter Jul 7, 2019 2:26 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 31277211)
Did you check in online?

It is indeed this. A human has to check you are suitable for the exit row. If you have OLCI’ed and not visited a check in desk then the gate is the first time someone can do this.

TTmex Jul 7, 2019 2:48 pm

Yep, sounds all right. I got a bleep on the way in to Galleries North and my eyes lit up briefly, only to be then hear "you ok with the exit row?". :D Then no bleep at the gate. I then got on board and had two exit rows (both sides) on the A321 to myself. The CC in front at takeoff told me we ere like 52 people on the way out, but they were fully booked for the return leg.

abligh Jul 7, 2019 3:32 pm

FWIW a couple of days ago I OLCI'd using the new interface but could not get a boarding card. Got a boarding card at the airport. Lots of kurfuffle getting through the gate. This turns out to be because the new interface is not correctly recording consent to sit in an exit row (according to the gate agent). YMMV.

wilsnunn Jul 7, 2019 4:19 pm

I always get the exit row beep at TXL, so I assume the lounge there doesn’t do the check. I am always hopeful that the beep is something more but it hasn’t happened there so far...

frandrake Jul 7, 2019 4:23 pm

Happens to me as well every time I checkin online without anyone seeing me before the gate. When I see a checkin agent I never get the red beep. It has indeed something to do with checking your ability to operate the emergency door should that become necessary.

RockyRobin Jul 7, 2019 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31277298)
You will get bleeped at the gate if they didn't clear it down at an earlier opportunity. Those with checked luggage who don't change seats thereafter shouldn't get a bleep, and at some of the lounges (including some Third Party ones) they clear down the message pro-actively, and typically don't ask if you have status, there's a presumption you know what you are doing. If HBO at most out stations you will normally get bleeped.

The reason for the bleep is this where self service may lead to people trying it on, when they are clearly too frail, too large or too young to operate a bulky 25 kgs door with a weird centre of gravity. It's harder than it looks.

indeed ive not forgotten my day out at BA Cranebrook (?) where the person opening the emergency door before my go didn't appreciate the weight of it and as they released it the corner of it slammed into where someone's face would have been in the middle seat. Now that would could have resulted in many losses of life in a real situation