Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What the hell is going on at JFK? And thank you BA!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What the hell is going on at JFK? And thank you BA!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by swingaling
Typical of JFK in the summer. Just wait and see how fun it is when thunderstorms hit.

Unless one is going to NY, avoiding JFK is usually a good idea.

That said, if you come to the US with any regularity, I’d highly recommend you apply for GE (if eligible).
​​​​​​
I have GE. I only go to the US 4 or 5 times a year but its worth every penny, sailed straight through various US entry points that are notorious for taking forever to get through.

Last edited by tuonopepper; Jul 7, 2019 at 3:33 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I’ve had to use the blue customs form twice in the last 2 months. Once coming from Hong Kong and the other coming in from London both into LAX. I have a green card and have GE, but the green card has expired (it has a 1 year extension sticker that is not machine readable) so I have to present myself to a CBP officer and that requires that I fill in a blue customs form.

I will find out what the procedure is for CLT next week when I fly back from Cancun. Given the estimated processing times for a green card renewal, I probably also need to find out the process to extend an extension sticker.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Markie
My experience on Friday - on the early BA flight:

- Global Entry now in the middle of the hall
- Several (new) machines roped off
- Some of the working machines did not actually work and so people had to use more than one machine
- All GE receipts checked with some people fingerprinted, photo'ed and questioned even with GE
- Staff allowed non-GE people to join GE queue where they had to be fingerprinted, photo'ed and questioned
- GE receipt takem by Immigration so could not be shown at Customs

- Through in 15 minutes from landing
I had a version of this tonight at JFK. Several GE Machines down so a line formed quickly. However, we were all then forced to queue to go to an officer (the line for
for Diplomats and GE) who looked at passports, asked a few questions about the trip - the old school method. There was only one kiosk, so a second line formed at GE
and people, usually able to just walk through, were surprised by this procedure. This officer took our GE printout and we were done. But nothing streamlined about it.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
I avoid JFK like the plague - but like the plague, unfortunately sometimes you still encounter it!

Arrival experiences vary - from one time which took 4 hours to get through immigration (not BA though), to the immigration queue being backed-up onto the (BA) plane itself - particularly annoying since I had GE! Getting out of JFK is just as bad with much-delayed or even cancelled flights.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Gshumway
I renewed my GE in May, took only a couple weeks to come in. Which was surprising. My green card on the other hand, they are saying 18 months.
The Girlfriend's application took about two weeks - we're both first time applicants - but she's American and has other factors that might have sped it up.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Markie
My experience on Friday - on the early BA flight:

- Global Entry now in the middle of the hall
- Several (new) machines roped off
- Some of the working machines did not actually work and so people had to use more than one machine
- All GE receipts checked with some people fingerprinted, photo'ed and questioned even with GE
- Staff allowed non-GE people to join GE queue where they had to be fingerprinted, photo'ed and questioned
- GE receipt takem by Immigration so could not be shown at Customs

- Through in 15 minutes from landing
Same for me on Friday. Horrendous flight with BA but immigration was a breeze. Even my American friend who was waiting in a bar for me was shocked how quick I got into town saying it takes longer to go through as a citizen sometimes.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
I have heard nightmares like this with TSA Pre-check and Global Entry. I had my application pre-approved and have been hesitation getting GE since I hear about these problems all of the time. I ask myself what's the point of getting an expedited traveler program if it seems to be slower than non-GE?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by meunger11
I have heard nightmares like this with TSA Pre-check and Global Entry. I had my application pre-approved and have been hesitation getting GE since I hear about these problems all of the time. I ask myself what's the point of getting an expedited traveler program if it seems to be slower than non-GE?
I can't think of any time in recent years where 'normal' immigration would have been faster than using my GE.

With GE it rarely takes me longer than 5 minutes to be clear of immigration and customs.

Entering LAX with my kids a few months ago took 2 hours in the 'normal' queue.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I can't think of any time in recent years where 'normal' immigration would have been faster than using my GE....
Maybe my wife and I have just been lucky then. We've had 7 of 7 instances of sub-5 min to clear "normal" immigration in 2019. DFW, MIA, JFK you name it...
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Maybe my wife and I have just been lucky then. We've had 7 of 7 instances of sub-5 min to clear "normal" immigration in 2019. DFW, MIA, JFK you name it...
DFW I've seen relatively quiet, and LAS I've also seen with barely anyone there... but JFK, MIA and LAX are always an absolute zoo whenever I'm there. Certainly sounds like you've been very fortunate!
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I can't think of any time in recent years where 'normal' immigration would have been faster than using my GE.

With GE it rarely takes me longer than 5 minutes to be clear of immigration and customs.

Entering LAX with my kids a few months ago took 2 hours in the 'normal' queue.
I agree. Over the last few years of entering the US quite a few times at various entry points I can't think of an instance where I have taken more than 5 minutes to complete immigration and customs - the reason I love GE.

In terms of comparing the non-GE routes there have been times where I have seen little/no queuing for the non-GE route so possibly the GE was not much quicker, but there have been many occasions where I can see long queues for non-GE too. I would say I have found GE at a bare minimum the same and most of the times much quicker than the non-GE route.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Which has been what I’ve observed when entering the US in recent times.

I’m intrigued to know what the procedure is at airports where the blue form/GE receipt is not needed/given. From the responses above, it appears GE gets no priority/special treatment once through immigration.
At those airports, there is no need for special treatment at customs because you just walk straight through like Europe. As for immigration, CBP is in the process of eliminating APC kiosks in lieu of their new facial recognition system. They will no longer be taking fingerprints except for GE members and first-time visitors.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
What nightmares are these? I can't quite be sure which post(s) you're referring to. The absolute best case without GE will be about the same as the worse case with GE in my experience. The best case without TSA Pre will generally be a lot worse than the worse case with TSA Pre.
nick.t.davies likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
What nightmares are these? I can't quite be sure which post(s) you're referring to.
I'm not referring to any posts. I'm talking about conversations I've had with others outside Flyertalk.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I have heard nightmares like this with TSA Pre-check and Global Entry.
I'm not referring to any posts. I'm talking about conversations I've had with others outside Flyertalk.
I refer you back to the post I quoted. You said "I have heard nightmares like this". I'm simply asking what is the "this" to which you're referring? If it's not to another post in this thread then it's impossible to know to what you are referring

And thanks for editing your initial response. Good call!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.