USA West Coast In BA Club World

Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

USA West Coast In BA Club World

Hi,

I'm looking to book some miles tickets later this month, flying from Heathrow to the west coast of the USA.
It's going to be a bit of a driving holiday. So we have a choice of four airports we can fly to and from. Namely Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco.

Although the majority of flights are operated by 747, there are a few which are operated by 787 or A380 aircraft.

I just wondered which of those is the best aircraft to go for? Hasn't there been some refurbishment of BA Club World lately?
Is there more chance of getting the latest product on an A380 or a 787 than there is on the ageing 747 aircraft?

I've also noticed there are two flights to Los Angeles which are operated by American Airlines 777 aircraft.
Is the AA Business Class better than BA? Would it be worth trying to book seats with AA on of the flights?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:19 am

Personally I'd take AA biz class over BA. If it's not an option then I'd go for BA 747 upper deck, the small cabin outweighs the risk of the old IFE
BearX220, oopsz, Xonus and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
For the benefit of EU261 protection I would always fly with an EU based airline. Last year our BA flight to LA was cancelled with less than 2 weeks notice. We were re-booked to arrive just over 4 hours later, but we also received 3000.00 Euros compensation (600 Euros each x 5 pax).
salut0 and Varig_dc10 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Varig_dc10, it's good to see you here, and I hope you continue to participate. The Forum Dashboard has a lot of information in it to help you make the right decision.

I would add that San José airport SJC should also be added to your list, which in terms of the road network and ease of airport use, is certainly worth further consideration.

Club World seat and service is identical across BA with only two exceptions for the A318 (LCY-JFK) and A321 (which you won't see in North America). The IFE is different on some of the older aircraft, but there are only a few 747s left with the older Rockwell Collins system, and a larger number of 777s. It's a complex area so by all means check back here to get further clarity.

Broadly speaking I would say the hierarchy for CW is "Super J" 747 Upper Deck and A380s at the top, followed by 787s, followed by "Mid J" 747s Upper Deck. The one to avoid is 777s with Rockwell Collins IFE.
orbitmic, Oaxaca and Varig_dc10 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would also consider Phoenix ( PHX)

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC
There are 3 overall types of 747 now within the fleet, 1) old untouched 747s (to be avoided if you can)
2) Mid J 747 (52 biz seats, thread for their conditions below)
3) Super Hi J 747 (86 biz seats) - I think there are around 18 of these last time I checked. They mostly feature on the JFK route.

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

As for which 747 you can get varies frequently on routes as they move about for operational purposes and what’s needed at the time so it can be a lottery. 747 can also be replaced by 777.

As for the A380, it’s great aircraft and nice CW cabin, I took this out of Miami. Upstairs towards the front is nice enough cabin.

UD A380

UD A380 window seat

The 787 does not have a great reputation for Y stories, CW is a different matter.
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Something that’s occasionally mentioned on here as well but probably doesn’t get as much of a plug is the technology of these newer aircraft can make a real difference in terms of how you’re feeling upon arrival, particularly if you’re then driving afterwards.

Personally with the newer altitude technology on the 787s and A380s, I find I arrive a lot more rested and fresh. As the product is essentially the same across the board, this would be a big consideration for me
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
SAN is usually a 777-300 and as such has the newer IFE in Club. I'd agree with PHX for a driving trip, just drove up the Flagstaff and back in a day trip, stunning scenery.
Varig_dc10 and jfallesen like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Ultimately the aircraft will depend on your entry and exit airports (open-jaw or roundtrip), but whichever you decide I'm sure that you will really enjoy driving around California and making the most of the great things it has to offer. Irrespective of whether you've done this before or not, you will have a great time!

Last edited by higham44; Jul 6, 2019 at 8:43 am Reason: Typos
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Workie Ticket
For the benefit of EU261 protection I would always fly with an EU based airline. Last year our BA flight to LA was cancelled with less than 2 weeks notice. We were re-booked to arrive just over 4 hours later, but we also received 3000.00 Euros compensation (600 Euros each x 5 pax).
EC261/2004 applies on any flight departing from an EU airport, so no problem from this perspective to use AA, or any other carrier, for UK to USA.

It may be a consideration on the return departing the US, when the regulation only applies to EU-based carriers.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by endoman
SAN is usually a 777-300 and as such has the newer IFE in Club. I'd agree with PHX for a driving trip, just drove up the Flagstaff and back in a day trip, stunning scenery.

Hi,

I think ( depending on when the OP is travelling), SAN moves to a 747 and from T3 ( T5 currently) from the winter 2019/2020 timetable start.

Regards

TBS
maisiedormouse and Varig_dc10 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Don't forget SJC airport as another option, only a few miles south of SFO.
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Regardless of BA/AA, i’d pick almost entirely on aircraft type:
1) A380
2) 787
3) 747 Upper Deck
4) 747 Lower Deck
5) 773
100) 772
flyerkit, sph77, quakered and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think ( depending on when the OP is travelling), SAN moves to a 747 and from T3 ( T5 currently) from the winter 2019/2020 timetable start.

Regards

TBS
Yep it does, which is great for us as it will mean Mrs endo can see the T3 lounges for our annual trip to SAN. We are on the 777 in Sept. Been there on the 747 in the past, quite a spectacular sight watching it land from Little Italy / Bankers Hill.
maisiedormouse and Varig_dc10 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by evacboy
Regardless of BA/AA, i’d pick almost entirely on aircraft type:

2) 787
AA 787 dispatch reliability is known to be poor. I will not touch the last AA service of the day ORD-LHR because it is 787 and too often late or cancelled. I would suggest any other aircraft first.
Varig_dc10 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.