Wiki Posts
Search

USA West Coast In BA Club World

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think ( depending on when the OP is travelling), SAN moves to a 747 and from T3 ( T5 currently) from the winter 2019/2020 timetable start.

Regards

TBS
and seems to have inherited the Mid-J birds from the PHX service too. It used to be a pick and mix route and it was just down to luck as to whether you got a mid or a Hi J. PHX is being switched to 787 metal and the mid-J birds ended up on the SAN flights from T3.

No more CCR for me
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

We are going to be travelling as a party of four, in July/August 2020, during UK school holidays.
So reward flight availability will tend to dictate our itinerary.

This would be our ideal itinerary:

a) Fly into SFO from LHR.
b) Drive down to San Diego, stopping over in various places on the way down.
c) Take a domestic flight to LAS and stay a couple of nights.
d) Fly back to the UK from LAS.

If we can't get booked on a LHR-SFO flight, SJC would be an ideal alternative.

Similarly, if I can't get a return flight from LAS to LHR, I could hire a car in Las Vegas and drive to Phoenix via Flagstaff.

One problem I've noticed this afternoon with the AA flights, is the flight release date.
BA flights look like they come available 23 days ahead of the AA flights.
I want to get the flights booked as soon as I can.
So I'm going to stick with BA.

rockflyertalk, thanks for the link to the Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh thread.
By the time I travel, there will only be six 747's with the older IFE.

I think I would prefer to travel on the A380 and 747, just to get the upper deck experience.
But I didn't want to end up on a 747 with a really ageing interior.
While there is still a chance of getting a 747 with the ageing IFE, as long as it has had some sort of refresh, I can probably live with that.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
As a native Californian who has thankfully relocated well over 20 years ago to east of the Mississippi River area of the US, I would be a bit concerned about travel to California since the serious earthquake swarm the last few days. If you do still proceed with your plans I suggest you get really bullet proof travel insurance. And make sure it includes evacuation coverage.
I have unhappily endured many earthquakes while I lived there and they are quite off-putting to say the least. My worst experience was being abruptly jolted out of bed and being barely able to walk(due to the house shaking) much less run to save my 3 month old child from her crib, then navigate stairs to escape outside in pajamas!
Just saying.
California is the last place I would want to visit.Ever again.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Varig_dc10 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Varig_dc10
I'm looking to book some miles tickets later this month, flying from Heathrow to the west coast of the USA.
It's going to be a bit of a driving holiday. So we have a choice of four airports we can fly to and from. Namely Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco.
<snip>
We are going to be travelling as a party of four, in July/August 2020, during UK school holidays.
So reward flight availability will tend to dictate our itinerary.
<snip>
One problem I've noticed this afternoon with the AA flights, is the flight release date.
BA flights look like they come available 23 days ahead of the AA flights.
I want to get the flights booked as soon as I can.
So I'm going to stick with BA.
<snip>.
Getting 4 off business awards on the same flight at a peak time will be very hard. And then harder.
You are being very optimistic in basing your trip on specific airports and specific aircraft type.
Take what you can get, and then sort out the itinerary on the ground.
AA awards only become available 330 days out, compared to BA 353 days out
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Solely due to the earthquakes?
ttama, 355F1 and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It sounds as though the OP has already defined the itinerary but I would point out that LAS and PHX cannot really be described as West Coast whereas SEA and SJC should be added to the list. Also AA outbound benefits from EU protection (should that still apply next year) as well as a significantly better hard product.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Driving around San Francisco isn't fun and parking is expensive. So unless the vacation specifically includes the city I'd also add SJC (San Jose) to the list. It's on a BA 787 (or was when I flew it).
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:53 am

As a native Californian who has thankfully relocated well over 20 years ago to east of the Mississippi River area of the US, I would be a bit concerned about travel to California since the serious earthquake swarm the last few days. If you do still proceed with your plans I suggest you get really bullet proof travel insurance. And make sure it includes evacuation coverage.
I have unhappily endured many earthquakes while I lived there and they are quite off-putting to say the least. My worst experience was being abruptly jolted out of bed and being barely able to walk(due to the house shaking) much less run to save my 3 month old child from her crib, then navigate stairs to escape outside in pajamas!
Just saying.
Oh please, so much drama man. But good for leaving California and please don’t come back. Ever again.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Varig_dc10 Welcome to FT

Getting 4 off business awards on the same flight at a peak time will be very hard. And then harder.
You are being very optimistic in basing your trip on specific airports and specific aircraft type.
Like I said, "reward flight availability will tend to dictate our itinerary."
If I can't get the route/aircraft type I want, I will take what I can get.
Particularly for the return flight which will be booked two to three weeks after the outbound flight.
It's a good point about AA flights. That's why I've decided to stick with BA.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It sounds as though the OP has already defined the itinerary but I would point out that LAS and PHX cannot really be described as West Coast whereas SEA and SJC should be added to the list.
We want to visit Las Vegas as part of the trip. That's why LAS and PHX have been thrown into the mix.
I wasn't planning on going as far north as Seattle. But that could be the route I take home.

Originally Posted by Gig103
Driving around San Francisco isn't fun and parking is expensive. So unless the vacation specifically includes the city I'd also add SJC (San Jose) to the list. It's on a BA 787 (or was when I flew it).
I'll probably hire the car on the day I leave San Francisco.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Come on. A bit like saying London is the last place I would ever dare to visit again because there might be a sequel to 7/7 on the day I show up.
ttama likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
If you are adding SEA, why not throw PDX in the mix too? Between Alaska and Southwest, especially in/out of Las Vegas, those aren't bad options for entry/exit as the internals would be pretty cheap.

The coast drive is a lot of fun with a bunch of things to see, but traffic in LA and SF cannot be underestimated. Vegas is, well, its Vegas, but if you have a car then you can go out and see the Hoover Dam or Red Rocks or some other stuff nearby. The heat in July/August in the desert SW will be intense, make sure you carry extra water and supplies on your drive into/through those areas.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Hi,

I'm looking to book some miles tickets later this month, flying from Heathrow to the west coast of the USA.
It's going to be a bit of a driving holiday. So we have a choice of four airports we can fly to and from. Namely Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco.

Although the majority of flights are operated by 747, there are a few which are operated by 787 or A380 aircraft.

I just wondered which of those is the best aircraft to go for? Hasn't there been some refurbishment of BA Club World lately?
Is there more chance of getting the latest product on an A380 or a 787 than there is on the ageing 747 aircraft?

I've also noticed there are two flights to Los Angeles which are operated by American Airlines 777 aircraft.
Is the AA Business Class better than BA? Would it be worth trying to book seats with AA on of the flights?
I'd take the AA biz over the BA ones, find the config better (direct aisle access) and service very good.

I'd avoid the 747 and 777 aircraft as its a lottery whether they are refurbed or not, last Vegas BA 747 I did was a flying museum, though the bubble is of course nice and quiet. At least the 380 and 787 are newer, though of course if WiFi matters that's another issue you dont have flying AA.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Something that’s occasionally mentioned on here as well but probably doesn’t get as much of a plug is the technology of these newer aircraft can make a real difference in terms of how you’re feeling upon arrival, particularly if you’re then driving afterwards.

Personally with the newer altitude technology on the 787s and A380s, I find I arrive a lot more rested and fresh. As the product is essentially the same across the board, this would be a big consideration for me
​​​​​​
I'd agree with this, have found 'jet lag' to be significantly less of an issue flying 787, 380 and A350.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Varig_dc10 Welcome to FT

Fair point on getting 4 reward seats in club.... If you have Gold and enough miles you may need to get a couple of those as 'gold guaranttee' seats.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Fair point on getting 4 reward seats in club.... If you have Gold and enough miles you may need to get a couple of those as 'gold guaranttee' seats.
In January/February this year, I looked at availability of four club seats in July/August 2019. At that point there was still availability. Obviously I did not follow the booking all the way through, but there was nothing to suggest I would not be able to book four club seats.

A couple of years ago, a colleague of mine had two first class tickets booked using his air miles. Not long before the flight, British Airways moved him to a different flight, either the day before or the day after his original flight.

I'm not Gold, I'm only Bronze. All my miles are mostly from credit card spend. So even if I do get the flights I want, there is a little bit of concern that BA might move us to a different flight nearer the time. Like you said, Gold members are guaranteed seats. So it only takes one of them to request a seat on our flight and no doubt the reward flights will be the first to be moved.

If that was to happen, I suppose I would just have to extend or shorten my holiday to suit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.