Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA West Coast In BA Club World

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
If your holiday times allow, I am with others on this - a trip to Yosemite is brilliant. ....But it is quite a way off H 1 or H101. We took quite a while to get there - "back roads" as LA and SF had not been fun driving!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
We did San Diego/ Flagstaff/ Monument Valley/ Page (Horseshoe Bend & Antelope Canyon)/ Vegas/LA last year - fantastic trip. Flew BA return to LA, then internal flights to San Diego, Phoenix and from LAS to LAX. I was in CW on the 787 and it was great.

We're due to fly to Seattle and Vegas later this year, not looking forward to the old metal.

The AA 777s were pretty good in CW last time I flew on them, newer and better than BAs.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Virgin Gold
I think the original question was around which planes to go for (if you can), which airports and BA vs AA. I think most of the advice I would have top of mind has been given one way or another, but as I fly LHR to West Coast around twice a month, I thought I would summarise my particular thoughts:

Planes:
- Personally I would prioritise A380 and 787 over other available aircraft, for a couple of reasons... mainly, cabin altitude and noise, which nets out to you just feeling substantially better at the other end compared to an older aircraft. Also, it's just fun (in my opinion) travelling on a newer plane... noticing all the little improvements and being able to think to yourself, "I got out there on one of those new(ish) Dreamliners/380s"
- After that I would agree with others that top deck of a 747 is the next best option (though bear in mind, if you take a roller carry on bag, it probably wont fit in the overhead bins - small problem and perhaps not applicable to you if you're going on a long vacation and therefore likely checking your luggage
- And also agree that you should use the cabin refresh thread to check if it's possible that you'll be in an refreshed cabin. Personally, I rarely watch the IFE anyway and use my phone or tablet... but it's worth setting your own expectation perhaps (to avoid disappointment) that you might encounter a tiny, old fashioned TV, if you are potentially using an unrefreshed plane

Airports:
- 380s do, or at least did until recently, fly into SFO. Not every flight though. So SFO on a 380 would be a good option, but check the schedule
- San Jose airport is excellent. Small, quick, less traffic, only a (quite) short drive to San Francisco if you are heading that way (as it sounds like you are). And it is exclusively served by 787's as far as I remember (by BA, I mean of course)
- It might also be worth considering the LHR end. In general, at CW level and without status, I wouldn't say there wasn't much in it between T3 and T5 lounges. If you are flying first, then I would definitely try to optimise for flying from T5 as you have the Concorde Room there. T5 is a nicer terminal (in my opinion) but T3 is fine.

BA vs AA:
- I haven't ever flown AA Business Class. What I would miss from a BA flight compared to a flight on perhaps most US based carriers however is the crew, who in general I find to be excellent (possibly controversial)
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Does anybody know what time of night BA release new reward flights?

For example, today I can book flights departing 8th July 2020.
Will flights departing on the 9th July 2020, come available at midnight, or do they normally get loaded up at say 2:00 am?

Also, does anyone know when seat choice becomes available in Club World?
Is it as soon as you book the flight?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Varig_dc10
Does anybody know what time of night BA release new reward flights?

For example, today I can book flights departing 8th July 2020.
Will flights departing on the 9th July 2020, come available at midnight, or do they normally get loaded up at say 2:00 am?

Also, does anyone know when seat choice becomes available in Club World?
Is it as soon as you book the flight?
0001Z or later as they see fit.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Just a bit of an update.

I have managed to book four Club World seats from Heathrow Terminal 3 to Las Vegas.

The aircraft is a Mid-J 747, so there is a small chance we might end up with the old Rockwell Collins IFE.
But I've had another look at the Mid-J Cabin Refresh thread and the BA Fleet Tracker thread.
By the time we travel, there should only be 13 Mid-J 747's left. Only four of them will be Rockwell Collins IFE.
So we might get lucky.

I was hoping that we would be able to select our seats as soon as we had booked the flight.
But it turns out that only Silver and Gold members can do that.

If we had not been able to get flights to one of our first choice airports, I would have had to spend about £500 on domestic flights.
I've now used that money to reserve four seats in the bubble.
My two teenage kids don't know we are travelling in Club World, so it will be good to see their faces when we board.
I assume we will board via the main deck and go up the internal stairs?

Our itinerary is pretty much set now, although we may need to shuffle San Diego and Carmel/San Francisco around, depending where the return flight departs from.

Las Vegas - 3 Nights
Grand Canyon - 3 Nights
San Diego - 4 Nights
Anaheim - 5 Nights
Carmel - 2 Nights
San Francisco - 2 Nights

I would still have liked to visit Yosemite. But obviously the kids want to spend more time in the theme parks. So something had to give.

I doubt we will get Club World back from SFO, SJC, LAX or SAN. So we will probably have to travel home from another US airport. But we are happy to do that.

If anyone is interested, the reward flights come available at 1:00am. I stayed up on three different nights to try and book a flight and the 1:00am release time seemed to be consistent.

I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that Club World travellers at Terminal 3, can use the American Airlines and Qantas lounges. Is that true for everybody or again is it Silver and Gold members?
What is the T3 Club World lounge like compared to T5?

Thanks again,
Varig_DC10.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I assume we will board via the main deck and go up the internal stairs?
Yup! Only the A380 boards the upper deck using a jet bridge. Congrats on the booking, and good thinking reserving the upper deck CW cabin. As Bronze you would have gotten free seat selection a week out, but by then a lot of the good seats might have been taken, especially given you're travelling in peak season.

I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that Club World travellers at Terminal 3, can use the American Airlines and Qantas lounges. Is that true for everybody or again is it Silver and Gold members?
What is the T3 Club World lounge like compared to T5.
The BA lounges in T5 and T3 are broadly similar in terms of their offering, but unlike in T5, there is some serious competition.
You'll have access to the BA Galleries lounge, AA lounge, Qantas lounge, and the Cathay Pacific lounge. If you show up early enough you can visit all four!

I used to live in Vancouver which is served by T3 and I far prefer it to T5, much due to the lounge situation. There are multiple threads on FT extolling the virtues of each lounge. The long and short of it is that BA and AA are widely considered the worse two lounges, but the AA lounge has pick and mix sweets you can take on to the plane which may be of interest to the kids!

Cathay has a noodle bar cooking up a variety of fresh Asian dishes and is the only business lounge in T3 with food cooked on demand. The Qantas buffet is generally pretty good too, though. If you're a gin person be sure to check out the Qantas gin bar, failing that, both Qantas and Cathay have a manned bar happy to dish out any cocktail, BA and AA are self serve.
Varig_dc10 likes this.

Last edited by saccosekk; Aug 5, 2019 at 2:42 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saccosekk
The BA lounges in T5 and T3 are broadly similar in terms of their offering, but unlike in T5, there is some serious competition.
You'll have access to the BA Galleries lounge, AA lounge, Qantas lounge, and the Cathay Pacific lounge. If you show up early enough you can visit all four!

I used to live in Vancouver which is served by T3 and I far prefer it to T5, much due to the lounge situation. There are multiple threads on FT extolling the virtues of each lounge. The long and short of it is that BA and AA are widely considered the worse two lounges, but the AA lounge has pick and mix sweets you can take on to the plane which may be of interest to the kids!

Cathay has a noodle bar cooking up a variety of fresh Asian dishes and is the only business lounge in T3 with food cooked on demand. The Qantas buffet is generally pretty good too, though. If you're a gin person be sure to check out the Qantas gin bar, failing that, both Qantas and Cathay have a manned bar happy to dish out any cocktail, BA and AA are self serve.
Great, we've got a long connection, so we will try and visit all four. Assuming my wife can drag me away from the QF Gin Bar!
alex67500 and saccosekk like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
We’re currently in the middle of a similar trip. We got 4 flights out LGW to LAS in J and the four of us are flying back in J from SJC. We only booked the seats about 9 months out so if you’re lucky then 4 seats are made available at times. Keep an eye on seats as they do open up throughout the year. We picked a car up in LAS and are working our way back over to the coast. Currently in Yosemite but made the mistake of arriving on a Saturday in August when the traffic is really heavy but the scenery is stunning!
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold
If you need tips for you time in San Diego, let me know! I’ve been living here for a few years now.
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by JERmlb
Currently in Yosemite but made the mistake of arriving on a Saturday in August when the traffic is really heavy but the scenery is stunning!
Yes, you need to visit Yosemite early in the morning for the best experience. I have a house near the entrance, and advise people coming from outside the park to try to get to the Western gate no later than 7:30am - earlier if possible. It's another 50-60 mins into the Valley from the Rt 120 entrance at that hour, and you should be able to find a parking space in Curry Village.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:51 pm

I hope you have a fantastic trip. I’m currently in Las Vegas and can thoroughly recommend Red Rock Canyon for some stunning scenery - very accessible from Las Vegas, and almost deserted yesterday. Although that may also have had something to do with the 43°C heat...
mikeyfly and Varig_dc10 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stephenjc
Don't forget SJC airport as another option, only a few miles south of SFO.
Few is pushing it. It’s 40 miles south and depending on the 101 can be anything from 40min drive to three hours. 280/380 combo also not quicker.

But yes it’s a great alternative. However let’s keepnit quiet. Us ex-pats love that the summer tourists don’t realise the SJC flight is a viable alternative to SFO 😉. It has helped me fly CW/F despite my employers travel policy thanks to Avios availability.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

and seems to have inherited the Mid-J birds from the PHX service too. It used to be a pick and mix route and it was just down to luck as to whether you got a mid or a Hi J. PHX is being switched to 787 metal and the mid-J birds ended up on the SAN flights from T3.
I've just booked flights to PHX for next Summer and having not flown there for 12 months, I was surprised to find there were no mid-J 744s on that route any longer. But for next summer at least, it appears to now be 777s... Where did you pick up 787s from?

And does anyone know if PHX would be 777-300s or 200s?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by 747_not_777
I've just booked flights to PHX for next Summer and having not flown there for 12 months, I was surprised to find there were no mid-J 744s on that route any longer. But for next summer at least, it appears to now be 777s... Where did you pick up 787s from?

And does anyone know if PHX would be 777-300s or 200s?
Hi.

PHX moves to a 789 from the winter 19/20 timetable start then to a 777 300 from the summer 20 timetable start
​​​​​​Regards

Tbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.