T5 short stay parking question

Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:05 am
Original Poster

T5 short stay parking question

Does anyone know whether it is okay to arrive part way through a T5 short stay car park booking? I've booked parking from the evening of Saturday 31st August to the evening of Tuesday 3rd September, but will now fly out only on Monday 2nd September.

Do I actually need to amend the booking, or will it just work if I turn up on Monday morning?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
if the booking is changeable and would give you a rebate I would do it.

As I understand the booking systems, other wise you can enter any time after your arrival time and leave anytime before your departure time... plus a little leaway for IROPS

SB
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Either amend it - not sure if you get a refund for the unused days - or cancel and re-book which should be cheaper.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Either amend it - not sure if you get a refund for the unused days - or cancel and re-book which should be cheaper.
Counter-intuitively, in fact it would be almost twice as expensive to rebook just for Monday morning to Tuesday evening. Hence my interest in knowing, preferably from direct experience, whether it will just work unamended.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by djbenedict
Counter-intuitively, in fact it would be almost twice as expensive to rebook just for Monday morning to Tuesday evening. Hence my interest in knowing, preferably from direct experience, whether it will just work unamended.
So a similar conundrum to the ex-EU flight bookings, and dropping the last leg. If it's more expensive to book a 'shorter' stay, then book a 'longer' stay and turn-up part-way through. Interesting. If everybody starts doing this don't be surprised if you find your access blocked.

Last edited by babats; Jul 5, 2019 at 4:06 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If it's official LHR parking, I'm pretty sure they are all fully flexible bookings
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:30 am

Have you tried moving the booking to start later rather than reducing the length of it? I've left the car park earlier than my booking without problems.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Very interesting, since the demise of the dedicated goodtogo website which offered discounts for staying over a Saturday night, bookings on the regular site seem to be following this rule too. It is significantly more expensive to use the short stay car parks for a single weeknight than to book multiple days including a weekend.

Probably best to ask them directly and find out:

0344 335 1000
[email protected]
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:02 am

I have arrived at different times and gone in and out during a booking. You just press on the buzzer and talk to a human, I needed my booking ref as it wasn't recognising my car reg,
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I have arrived at different times and gone in and out during a booking. You just press on the buzzer and talk to a human, I needed my booking ref as it wasn't recognising my car reg,
Yes, once or twice I've had to use the intercom when the numberplate wasn't recognised. Going in and out is a level of flexibility I really didn't expect and which suggests the ability for an actual human override. In which case I will suck it and see.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:15 am

Cannot advise on late entries, but I have certainly departed early (by several days) from the car park on several occasions without any problems.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Haven't arrived quite that late (compared to the original booking time) but I believe at some point the ANPR system 'forgets' or won't print your ticket correctly with the booking reference so you'd likely have to contact a human at some stage anyway, as usually when that happens (arriving more than an hour after the original stated time) I end up getting a generic ticket (or have to press the button to get one) and then get it sorted out on exit with a human.

Outside of that factor, do be careful where you are park in T5 short stay, I've learned the hard way that although convenient, it is far more likely you'll get hit in there than in the other car parks. I appreciate that it is possible to get damage in any of the airport car parks (or any car park) but the T5 short stay is also used for several other 'short' drop offs such as handing over your car to a driver, other types of valet parking and such...so if you are on a level that they have to go up / down on to get in / out of the car park, your ratio of cars going by your car is going to be quite a bit higher and there is always some [MENTION=12446]ss[/MENTION] that doesn't watch or care.

Case in point: I came back from holiday after two weeks to find this lovely reminder (no note of course by the guilty party) on my then new 7 series. Wasn't impressed, won't park in T5 short stay again. (Sofitel or T5 Long Stay, Pod parking, etc...will suffice fine for me).

Damage done to rear bumper in T5 short stay last Aug./Sept.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I use these babies for reducing that risk.

BotB likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
When I was in Florida in May I saw a lot of cars that had something like nappies ( well black padded cushions strapped to the bumper ) attached to the rear bumpers. If they were neater rather than saggy mess a good idea.
John
BotB likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Do the T&Cs cover it? That is the basis of the contract.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.