Search

Delayed Baggage Expenses

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:18 am
PxC
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Delayed Baggage Expenses

Flew LAS-LAX-LHR yesterday in F and my bag didn't make it. Apparently its on a flight back today instead. Would be it 'reasonable', given I have come back to my home address, to spend £4-500 on things such as ( 1x shoes/flip flops/t-shirt/jeans/toiletries etc) given I may have it back within 24hours (or may not) and claim this from BA?

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:32 am

I would not hold out much hope in getting that reimbursed unless you get some sort of pre-approval - generally the claims for essential items are when you are away from home and not the return journey. (insurance can often be the same)
Even away from home I would think £4-500 on 'essential' items for 24 hours seems high
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:33 am

I don't know how BA would see this but I wouldn't be spending that sort of money if I had arrived home without a bag for 24 hours. My own approach is to buy what I need as if I weren't being reimbursed, and I have lots of flip flops at home
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: Baec
Very unreasonable IMHO.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Not great that your bag never made it but I'd say now you are back home £400-500 is not going to be entertained by BA.

Perhaps if there is something very essential you needed would be considered but I am wondering how you came to that figure?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:39 am
PxC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
Not great that your bag never made it but I'd say now you are back home £400-500 is not going to be entertained by BA.

Perhaps if there is something very essential you needed would be considered but I am wondering how you came to that figure?
Just one of each thing, it would probably be less. I have things to go to in the next couple of days and all of the stuff I would use was in that bag, with no guarentee it will actually come back today. Still, replies are understandable and that was the whole point of making this post, so thank you all. If It comes back today I won't try and replace anything
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Very hard to justify when you are returning home with the reasonable expectation that you should have spare clothes and toiletries etc available to you
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Fingers crossed it comes back today. I suppose the way BA would look at it is what is reasonable in the circumstances. If it doesn't come back today and you need to purchase anything essential then stating the obvious keep the receipts and send them in.

Was it a tight connection? Maybe that's why the bag never made it, possibly.

I'd like to think as a First passenger they would look upon any claim with more sympathy rather than someone way down the back. Maybe I am being too optimistic there?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:13 am

Whilst this may not be relevant to the OP, but what really is the definition of "home" - certainly when many people may have a return ticket from/to different locations (open jaw) or arriving into a location that they are not actually based. This happens to frequent travelers where they are expected to be in different locations and it may so happen that they are not actually returning "home" on their return portion of their ticket. Furthermore, those of us who use multiple tickets out of sequence (or nested), we could be returning to somewhere not even close to home. Then there are the few, who are NFA (no fixed abode), so what actually constitutes "home"? Would baggage delay reimbursement be payable?

Of course, frequent travelers should be travelling HBO, so not really an issue in reality

Sorry for the brain fart - it is one of those more intriguing questions for me
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If returning home you can assume that BA will not pay any expenses for delayed baggage. The two exceptions that I can recall relate to very specific cases. One where there was a long delay returning baggage and BA entertained a claim for running shoes. I also recall a claim for an electric razor, but I thought that wasn't going to set precedent. The other was for specific items such as a laptop charger where even a short delay would be problematic.

There isn't much point calling up, I can't recall a case where BA authorised specific expenditure in advance. It's all assessed after the event.

BA don't look at the ticketing to decide where "home" is, in most cases it's obvious.
mikem004 and LTN Phobia like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 5, 2019 at 2:32 am
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

£400 Get to Asda/Tesco and get everything for about £50.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
After a very long trip (about 10 weeks?) a couple of years ago, BA left my bad behind on the way home. I raised the point that everything I'd used for the last two months was in there, and BA readily covered the cost of a set of clothes and toiletries, only about £200, but I imagine if it had been more, it wouldn't have been a problem.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:50 am
PxC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
Fingers crossed it comes back today. I suppose the way BA would look at it is what is reasonable in the circumstances. If it doesn't come back today and you need to purchase anything essential then stating the obvious keep the receipts and send them in.

Was it a tight connection? Maybe that's why the bag never made it, possibly.

I'd like to think as a First passenger they would look upon any claim with more sympathy rather than someone way down the back. Maybe I am being too optimistic there?
2.5hr connection

The bag *should* of landed in LHR at 9.30am today, so fingers crossed your last comment means they may get it to me (Bristol) today!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I was in exactly this situation couple of months ago, flying JNB-LHR in F, and bag was never loaded. I don't live in London and was due to fly out 2 days later so spent £300 on clothes. Slightly long story but I think the details are interesting for you:

- Claimed via Amex Plat insurance (AXA) first but was denied because I was returning home. I actually had other flights on that PNR so it wasn't the last flight on the booking but they rejected it on the basis that the flight in question was to my home country (despite my registered UK address being 10 hours away from Heathrow!).

- Claimed via BA online and followed up by phone few days later where they confirmed they had approved claim and initiated bank transfer.

- Received email few days later saying they were rejecting the claim and no explanation given. So I replied asking for one, and they replied again that it was being rejected and gave no further explanation.

- I called back multiple times and was given different reasons for rejection, including that it was because I was returning home and because my travel insurance had rejected it so they would too (!!).

- I finally lost my patience and asked to speak to a supervisor who said all the many reasons were valid (although couldn't point out where the rules were stated) and that I was possibly committing fraud by claiming from AXA and BA. I only went to BA after AXA rejection but I did not provide the Amex insurance details in my BA claim so they figured that part out themselves. I didn't include the details because I was uninsured in my view given that AXA had rejected the claim but maybe they thought I was trying to hide something.

- She was rude and not willing to listen and asked me to pursue CEDR. I gave up at that point.

It seemed completely unreasonable to me given that I had already been told it was approved and they clearly didn't have a set rulebook they were following. I didn't play the DYKWIA card, but let's not forget I was a ticketed F passenger!

Last edited by s1362083; Jul 5, 2019 at 4:18 am Reason: minor edits
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by armouredant
After a very long trip (about 10 weeks?) a couple of years ago, BA left my bad behind on the way home. I raised the point that everything I'd used for the last two months was in there, and BA readily covered the cost of a set of clothes and toiletries, only about £200, but I imagine if it had been more, it wouldn't have been a problem.
(Worth noting that, because I share a household account with my parents in NCL, my BAEC address is in the North, whereas I was travelling into LHR, which may have factored in)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.