LAX or SFO for a long layover?

Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Question LAX or SFO for a long layover?

Next week I am travelling SYD-LAX-SFO-LHR with the last flight being BA286 @ 1935.
I will arrive into LAX early in the morning with a long layover at LAX before my early afternoon flight to SFO.
However, AA said I could change to an early flight from LAX to SFO meaning I could spend most of the day there.
In helping me decide whether to change flights, which would be the better option for lounges, food, showers etc. LAX or SFO?
I am OW Emerald.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
LAX definitely has the better lounges. See the lounge guide in the dashboard for the many options available in LAX.
rossmacd, IntVic, davie355 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:37 pm

LAX has a much better lounge offering for OWE, as in the QF F lounge - one of my favourites!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had a long layover at LAX last week -- I ended up getting a hotel instead of lounging, but the airport experience was pretty miserable. As such, I would definitely head up to SFO sooner rather than later. For starters, you could take BART into the city and grab a decent lunch. Then, when you come back to the airport, you'll be able to avail of lounges in the international terminal. None of them will blow you away, but I dare say they put domestic options at LAX to shame.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
I had a long layover at LAX last week -- I ended up getting a hotel instead of lounging, but the airport experience was pretty miserable. As such, I would definitely head up to SFO sooner rather than later. For starters, you could take BART into the city and grab a decent lunch. Then, when you come back to the airport, you'll be able to avail of lounges in the international terminal. None of them will blow you away, but I dare say they put domestic options at LAX to shame.
The OP is BA Gold meaning he can use the best OW lounges on offer at LAX, including the excellent QF First lounge, the nice AA Flagship lounge etc...

Far from being a miserable experience.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. LAX it is for my layover. I've not used the QF First Lounge, so may have my lunch in there... even if it is the beef burger and chips!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
From a lounge perspective, no question, LAX is better. But at least in my experience, AA has had a fair number of delays on the LAX-SFO service. Factoring that in, and given that I presume making the SFO-LHR is a more critical factor than a modestly improved lounge experience, I would opt for taking the earlier flight to build in some contingency.

tb
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by IntVic
Thanks all. LAX it is for my layover. I've not used the QF First Lounge, so may have my lunch in there... even if it is the beef burger and chips!
It's got an open kitchen and the food is always very good. I think it's the best I've ever had in any lounge actually, including over the LHR CCR and HKG CX Pier.

If you like fish I'd recommend whatever they have. The raw tuna is excellent (but absent last time I was there), the salt and pepper squid has a nice spicy dip, and I've had mains with full fillets that have been great too.

SFO, by comparison, is laughable - you might get a packet of crisps.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:14 am

If the OP has an UK-issued Amex Plat with PP, they would also have Centurion lounge and restaurant options in SFO...the restaurant I've been to (Yankee Pier) wasn't actually that bad...had a nice crab salad or something.

tb
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As Clubman said, with BA Gold you can use the international OneWorld lounges at LAX which are very good - if a lurker is reading this but only has AA Plat then the lounge offering is poor by comparison. With a long layover you could always leave the airport (since you will have entered the USA) you could always pop out to In n Out Burger or Melody Bar.

My partner did a SYD-LAX-LHR a while ago and took advantage of a day rate at a LAX hotel. If you have a long enough layover either at LAX or SFO if you take the earlier connector, I would personally do that, although it looks like LAX is far cheaper than SFO!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Depends what you want to do during you layover.
And how long it can be.

I would opt for SFO, jump on the BART and go and visit a bit of the town and get out the the airport, if long enough
Down town is just 30 mins for the airport with 4 trains an hour. You could be a Muni Passport, go and right a cable car over to Fisherman's Warf, return on a historic street car to Embarcadero,
Go to the Ferry Building at the end of Market Street for a late lunch, see Union Square,
Then head back to the airport.
windowontheAside and mikem004 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trueblu
From a lounge perspective, no question, LAX is better. But at least in my experience, AA has had a fair number of delays on the LAX-SFO service. Factoring that in, and given that I presume making the SFO-LHR is a more critical factor than a modestly improved lounge experience, I would opt for taking the earlier flight to build in some contingency.

tb
Assuming it's all on a single ticket, I'd have thought that the multiple LAX-LHR daily flights would mean a good chance of being rebooked on a non-stop from LAX. On a separate ticket, of course, I'd get to SFO as quickly as possible.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Assuming it's all on a single ticket, I'd have thought that the multiple LAX-LHR daily flights would mean a good chance of being rebooked on a non-stop from LAX. On a separate ticket, of course, I'd get to SFO as quickly as possible.
I'm on the one ticket with AA so am somewhat relaxed about getting to SFO. Realistically, I think I have about 7 hours of layover time having cleared immigration & customs. LAX-LHR direct would be great if they offer it, particularly as it was Ł2k more to book a direct service over the one stop.

Last edited by IntVic; Jul 5, 2019 at 5:20 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
My point is that the OP may be currently booked on the last LAX-SFO before his SFO-LHR, with say a 90 minute cushion. But 2hr+ delays on that route when there is "weather" in SFO is not unheard of, and domestics are impacted much more than international. Being on a protected single ticket will mean that if the OP misses their LHR-bound flight, they can get on the next one....the next day. Not ideal.

It all depends...if the OP can still have a couple of hours in LAX (much less might be risky since they have to pass US immigration and customs), they would still probably sample e.g. the QF Flounge, and still get to SFO with considerable buffer.

tb
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trueblu
My point is that the OP may be currently booked on the last LAX-SFO before his SFO-LHR, with say a 90 minute cushion. But 2hr+ delays on that route when there is "weather" in SFO is not unheard of, and domestics are impacted much more than international. Being on a protected single ticket will mean that if the OP misses their LHR-bound flight, they can get on the next one....the next day. Not ideal.

It all depends...if the OP can still have a couple of hours in LAX (much less might be risky since they have to pass US immigration and customs), they would still probably sample e.g. the QF Flounge, and still get to SFO with considerable buffer.

tb
I am on the last LAX-SFO service to be able to catch BA286, with a 2 hour connection. While I am pretty relaxed about it all, I really don't want to spend an additional night away from home. Mind you I could give a first hand report to FT'ers of how AA deals with IRROPS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.