Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK First check in rudeness

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Abrupt and direct I tend to see it as rather than rude.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VSLover
(3) concorde team were amazing as well as cabin crew
Now that would have been a good thread title but wouldn't have attracted anywhere near as many clicks I suspect.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
First Class must have standards. It doesn't matter that New Yorkers are more direct with each other than in most cities.

But OP's experience definitely does not meet First Class expectations no matter where in the world.
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
It doesn't sound too bad on paper, but one should expect F standards to be very high, and so I tend to agree with the OP that this was sub-par. Not worth a formal complaint though. Also, it's good that the OP made the point to the check in agent.
I’m very much on the same wavelength, in that the brusque manner was clearly way below the standard to be expected as a First class experience, even if not so significant as to merit a formal complaint.

What’s interesting about the incident - from a business / customer relationship angle - is that check-in agents (if / when used) will invariably be the initial point of human contact during a customer’s entire journey. They should therefore see themselves as the face of the airline, in the same way as all other members of front-line personnel - and, as such, responsible for providing a warm, courteous, welcome.

One would not be happy at being spoken to in an impolite manner by the receptionist upon arrival, at the start of a stay in a 5 Star hotel. And the same applies to the start of any First class air trip.

Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by VSLover
a few things:

(1) i lived in nyc for 8 years so know rude nyc ppl and she was super rude

(2) this was first check in

(3) concorde team were amazing as well as cabin crew
Having lived in NYC my entire life I can tell you right now 8 years isn't enough to experience what super rude is if you consider rolling eyes super rude. Most eyes rolls are caused by snobbiness. Just an FYI.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
it doesn’t sound to me like the agent was rude. But everyone may conceive this differently.
what bothers me is the attitude that a ‘rude’ agent is not acceptable in F specifically. So it’s ok in coach? Customer service is customer service and the assumption that F pax are somehow more anointed and deserve of a better treatment sounds ridiculous to me. You get the seat and the food and the drinks, yes, but a customer service agent shouldn’t behave different between any passengers, no matter what class of travel they have purchased
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by flsusi
it doesn’t sound to me like the agent was rude. But everyone may conceive this differently.
what bothers me is the attitude that a ‘rude’ agent is not acceptable in F specifically. So it’s ok in coach? Customer service is customer service and the assumption that F pax are somehow more anointed and deserve of a better treatment sounds ridiculous to me. You get the seat and the food and the drinks, yes, but a customer service agent shouldn’t behave different between any passengers, no matter what class of travel they have purchased
This is slightly wonky, but I’d argue that in an ideal world each class should have its own persona with its distinct customer service style. I’m not sure what % of First check-in customers actually fly First out of JFK though (I’d guess sub 20%), so that does complicate things somewhat.

In Economy and WTP you are realistically aiming at “friendly”, given the very limited time for individual interactions. In Business especially on the JFK route people just want fast and efficient service, so I’d say “professional and competent” should be the aim, whereas First is meant to be either more of a special occasional or a customer with elevated needs, so I’d expect a bit more of a personal touch as well as a more formal approach. People paying lots of money for things apparently love a bit of being called by their surname and some slight bowing

Obviously none of this means that Economy should get bad service, but ideally you would have that differentiation in style.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by flsusi
what bothers me is the attitude that a ‘rude’ agent is not acceptable in F specifically. So it’s ok in coach? Customer service is customer service [....]

I'm extremely curious as to your concept of "rude." What would have made the agent rude, hypothetically? Can you provide a few examples? Maybe the agent wasn't "rude," but do you think she behaved appropriately? Do you take no issue with eye-rolling in particular? I am genuinely curious.

Agents in both F and coach should be polite, but the F agent should be more personal and deferential on top of being polite. A key component of "personal" is making eye contact which OP explicitly said was absent from his interaction. As for deference -- if the luggage tag had to come off, the service-level appropriate words from the agent would have been, in a gentle delivery, "Sir, would you like me to remove this tag for you?"
SWISSBOBBY likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by davie355
I'm extremely curious as to your concept of "rude." What would have made the agent rude, hypothetically? Can you provide a few examples? Maybe the agent wasn't "rude," but do you think she behaved appropriately? Do you take no issue with eye-rolling in particular? I am genuinely curious.

Agents in both F and coach should be polite, but the F agent should be more personal and deferential on top of being polite. A key component of "personal" is making eye contact which OP explicitly said was absent from his interaction. As for deference -- if the luggage tag had to come off, the service-level appropriate words from the agent would have been, in a gentle delivery, "Sir, would you like me to remove this tag for you?"
Politeness and what is seen to be polite and rude are very much culturely based.
A simple "please" would have made the request to the OP less offensive to from my cultural background.
But so often as checking you are juggling. Passport, perhaps online checking BP, your carry on baggage, and your hold baggage, and if in First that may be multiple items, I have some sympathy with the OP, you may not have thought of everything, and if you are worrying about old baggage tags then the agents are trying to get your passport from you.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:26 am
Suspended

I think the attitude of BAs JFK staff has deteorated remarkably in the past years. CCR staff remains great and my one substantive interaction of needing seat help at the J lounge (CCR hiatus/F lounge closed) was quite positive after a disastrous experience at check in.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:29 am

I think everybody whether they live in a city famed for it's abrupt service or not can self moderate depending on the type of position they work in. This person worked at check-in for an airline's First class product - they should have known better. Taking a bag tag off, whilst on the face of it might not be the check-in agent's responsibility would have taken them a couple of seconds. This would have left the customer with a better impression. They could even have said, "Let me take those old tags off for you, (Sir/Madam)." It would have made a thing of it - like they were going above and beyond which is kind of the point when you pay for a premium product.

I grew up in Japan where politeness and service are ingrained into culture. Can you ever imagine a situation like the OP described happening there? I don't think we should lower our expectations for First class service just because we're dealing with New Yorkers. It might be acceptable for them to be abrupt when using the subway or paying for their groceries but that's not what was going on here. They were at work and they were working at a First class check-in desk. They should be the ones raising their standards.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I’ve had an issue with the ‘slope’ gatekeeper who told my mother and I we could not enter despite having just come from the First check in without as much as a glance at our boarding cards.
This was before all the alterations.
For me it was an exception.
one of my pet hates. Happened to me at Doha, I was approaching the Priority Channel and a woman barked at me economy that way, I ignored her instruction and just approached her and gave my J class BP and just smiled, she just looked sheepish . Also had similar a Manchester approaching the fast track channel
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Politeness and what is seen to be polite and rude are very much culturely based.
This is exactly it. It’s also regionally based; I think the scenario the OP described would be considered rude or impolite in the majority of the USA.

I tend to temper my expectations in the NYC area when it comes to standards of politeness and customer service. I’ve encountered some rude employees at JFK that are much worse than what the OP described. It’s often unpleasant but it seems like what one should expect in NYC.
SWISSBOBBY and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:14 am

I think most of us would accept that, "you need to take that label off" could have simply been phrased, "Please could you remove that label from your bag?" and would have elicited a much more positive response from the passenger with the same end result. Manners matter.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by jp-mco
I think most of us would accept that, "you need to take that label off" could have simply been phrased, "Please could you remove that label from your bag?" and would have elicited a much more positive response from the passenger with the same end result. Manners matter.
I love this. It demolishes the arguments that NYC rudeness is excusable because it's "direct" or that politeness takes too much time.
jp-mco and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Having lived in NYC my entire life I can tell you right now 8 years isn't enough to experience what super rude is if you consider rolling eyes super rude. Most eyes rolls are caused by snobbiness. Just an FYI.
Having lived in many places "my entire life" I assure you New Yorkers are special in excusing their own rudeness because "someone else was rude [snobby] first." I equate that excuse with the kindergarten argument of "he/she started it"!

The vast majority of people, when confronted by somebody blocking their path, learn that the polite way is "excuse me." Not "GTFO." But hey, my path was blocked, so it's totally fine to tell them GTFO, right?

Let's not forget there is zero evidence OP was snobby. You are ascribing the worst possible interpretation to OP's words. Bad faith.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.