Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Beach holiday from the UK with BA reward flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend a beach holiday to take with my reward flight voucher? Flying from the UK

looking through the reward flight finder it looks like everything Caribbean is unavailable. Am I looking in the wrong place??

thanks in advance for any help
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Beach destinations book out quickly on Avios, but with some timing flexibility I'm sure you could find something on the lower east coast of the US, somewhere in the Indian Ocean, or Asia. More specifics would always be useful.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Which cabin are you hoping to travel - and when ?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
When do you want to go? Caribbean is probably booked up for the winter peak, but you'd find something September / May / June?

Somewhat wider choice to Miami or the Seychelles. Or Dubai is generally pretty easy.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks - looking to go March or April, my wife’s work pattern means we’re pretty much stuck with those months. And being usually stuck in economy it would be nice to travel business class.

The back up up at the moment is a holiday to San Francisco & surrounding areas. I’m fine with that as we both like it there but the original hope was to go Carribean or Maldives, Seychelles etc.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
March/April is good in Thailand and possibly Malaysia
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: too many
I definitely second Thailand at this time of year, it's leering towards the end of the tourist season so less people in, cheaper accommodation, etc
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by ng1265
I definitely second Thailand at this time of year, it's leering towards the end of the tourist season so less people in, cheaper accommodation, etc
You need to check the timing of Songkran in Thailand in April. Everything suddenly shouts up in price for about a week.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

You need to check the timing of Songkran in Thailand in April. Everything suddenly shouts up in price for about a week.
I had 8 hours to kill in Bangkok during Songkran - unbeknown to me - and carrying everything in a small carry on - went on a river trip - was a wet stressful (expensive) disaster !!

However I'd thoroughly recommend South East Asia in March / April
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
I'm heading to seychelles myself OP in august, flights are cheap (800 for WTP, upgraded one leg to CW and have an exit row seat for the other), including hotel (BA Holidays) it was about 1700£ for a week, so not a bad deal!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Perhaps worth signing up to https://rewardflightfinder.com/ - if you have a few destinations in mind you could set alerts and see if any availability opens up.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:18 am

Depending on how long you have, you could always think about connecting flights. Belize is lovely at that time of year, and as there are no direct flights there from the UK so you'd have to change in any case, you could consider using your voucher to get to the US and then booking separate flights on to Belize. We're doing this for a trip to Guatemala as there are no direct flights there either - 2-4-1 flights in F to DFW and then separate onward flights. The same holds true for the Caribbean in terms of separate flights (although of course there are direct flights there so less of an incentive to connect!).

Or going to Asia, I agree that Thailand is great at that time too, and personally find Songkran a lot of fun (as long as you're prepared!). Or a reward flight to BKK/KUL/HKG/SIN followed by separate flights to Vietnam/Cambodia etc would work if you wanted to avoid Songkran in Thailand.

Alternatively, fly to Mumbai/Delhi and onward flights to Goa/Kerala/other Indian beaches.

You will need to bear in mind that these are all separate flights NOT connections and all the usual rules apply - you can't combine cash and reward bookings.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
To echo what has been said above, you could look at booking to Miami and then onward to the Caribbean from there. We've done trips to Aruba, Antigua, and Barbados like this and the legs on AA price very reasonably if you use Avios.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

How about Hawaii ( voucher to the West Coast ie SAN/LAX/SEA/SFO) then a carrier to one of the islands? ( albeit it is still 5hrs or so to the islands from the west coast)

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Songkran is always the 13th April. Straight from Mrs rapidex who is Thai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.