Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed Outbound - Inbound still worked

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Alternative data point....a few years back I was due to fly JER-LGW-AMS-LHR-IAD in the same day (price was the same as JER-LGW/LHR-IAD so why not?).

JER-LGW returned to JER because of fog at LGW and so I missed the LGW-AMS flight. I went to ticketing at LGW and asked if I could get the itinerary adjusted to bin the AMS legs, thinking the rest of the itinerary would get binned automatically. Was given a National Express voucher and told to go to LHR and they'd sort it out, indeed upon arrival at LHR I was informed the rest of the itinerary was cancelled. They were able to resurrect it pretty easily but in that case we're talking only a few hours.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Fraser
Alternative data point....a few years back I was due to fly JER-LGW-AMS-LHR-IAD in the same day (price was the same as JER-LGW/LHR-IAD so why not?).

JER-LGW returned to JER because of fog at LGW and so I missed the LGW-AMS flight. I went to ticketing at LGW and asked if I could get the itinerary adjusted to bin the AMS legs, thinking the rest of the itinerary would get binned automatically. Was given a National Express voucher and told to go to LHR and they'd sort it out, indeed upon arrival at LHR I was informed the rest of the itinerary was cancelled. They were able to resurrect it pretty easily but in that case we're talking only a few hours.
Do you think they only restored it because you had IRROPS (it sounds like that was a single ticket)?
george77300 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Gig103
Do you think they only restored it because you had IRROPS (it sounds like that was a single ticket)?
Yes, it was a single ticket. I hadn't even considered that a non-IRROPS event would have allowed reinstatement. I approached the desk explaining the situation and didn't really have to do much else.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
Very interesting. I've had a couple tickets where I for various reasons didn't fly all the ticket on the outgoing - but the ticket kept being in the system, and even notifying me it was time to check in on the return part. I kinda assumed it was pointless trying to use it, but next time this happens I might try it. Been wondering why the ticket remained in the system.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Xonus
Very interesting. I've had a couple tickets where I for various reasons didn't fly all the ticket on the outgoing - but the ticket kept being in the system, and even notifying me it was time to check in on the return part. I kinda assumed it was pointless trying to use it, but next time this happens I might try it. Been wondering why the ticket remained in the system.
The notification that it's time to check in is no indication that you have a valid ticket. That happens with cancelled and ghost segments too.
LCY8737 and Xonus like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:02 pm

I had a ticket from A-B-C-B-A on Delta, where B is the connection at the airline's hub, and the ticket is priced as A-C return. I only flew A-B and skipped B-C. I had no problem checking in for C-B, which I also missed, and I flew only from B-A. No questions asked and online check in did not give me any troubles. Everyone here tells you if you miss a flight your remaining segments are automatically cancelled, but it is not always true. All I can say is it depends on the situation and the airline.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There are multiple reasons for the NoShow robotic to fail or skip your reservation.

Did your outbound flight that you missed actually operate? On time? If the flight is cancelled or severely delay the robotic will not be run against that flight.

BA staff can also add a PROT keyword into the booking to tell the robotic to ignore that PNR.

Finally, a failure to properly close out a flight by BA staff may also cause the robot to fail. If the flight has the wrong status when a movement message is received the departure plan timeline will fail. Whilst other essential activities are rescheduled, I don't think the noshow robotic is. This dept plan failure can be due to agent action e.g. reopening a flight for offloads, and not closing it correctly. It's also very frequent on non ACARS aircraft, such as wetleased fames, where MVT messages are not automated so have to be sent manually.

Basically, a number of reasons it can fail, which is why you got lucky on this occasion.
Dambus, LCY8737 and sds1493 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
If I make a missing mileage claim on a non ba carrier more than 50% of the time they tell me I was not on the flight.

The system is far far from perfect so I suppose this is a happy consequence.

It does always ways amaze me that their records are so poor. You would assume they did indeed know who was on their aircraft.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by CitySlacker
There are multiple reasons for the NoShow robotic to fail or skip your reservation.

Did your outbound flight that you missed actually operate? On time? If the flight is cancelled or severely delay the robotic will not be run against that flight.

Yep! The reason I knew is TripIt gave me a 'go to gate' notification...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
This doesn't cast BA's computer systems in a good light.
The OP appears to have booked a straightforward A-B-A return flight on BA metal. Probably the simplest itinerary going.
And yet it appears "you can get lucky". The computer system is not implementing basic procedures.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by mikem004
This doesn't cast BA's computer systems in a good light.
The OP appears to have booked a straightforward A-B-A return flight on BA metal. Probably the simplest itinerary going.
And yet it appears "you can get lucky". The computer system is not implementing basic procedures.
And I guess nobody here is surprised. Their core IT would probably celebrate 100 years too - if Mr Turing had been a bit earlier...
dpfs likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
I always thought on certain European routes where a return flight is the same price as 2x one ways, that each sector would be treated as a one way and not therefore auto-cancelled if the first sector is not taken?

That is how it works on other LCCs at least ...

If not, why not just always book 2 one ways?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Did you contact Easyjet at the time and try to either cancel (due to large delay) or move into the future on some convenient other route? I feel some value could have been salvaged if one moved quickly.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
Did you contact Easyjet at the time and try to either cancel (due to large delay) or move into the future on some convenient other route? I feel some value could have been salvaged if one moved quickly.
No I didn't, as I was not sure if my BA boarding pass would work until I got on the plane I didn't have a lot of time to mess around phoning EasyJet etc.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It happened to me before when I booked tickets through a travel agent and the flights were coded as codeshares (outbound DL booked as AZ, inbound VS booked as AF) - it seemed that the various systems simply did not communicate between each other. More of an exception than a rule I guess and I was ready to book a walk-up ticket if that failed (there was plenty of award availability on that day).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.