Avios flight time moved - options

Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
... petty spats don’t help the OP.
Generally, clarifying passenger rights under EC261 2004 helps all reading.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The following Customer Guidelines are worth noting, option 7 in particular which covers change of gateway
Routing
Reroute to an alternative gateway within 300 miles radius of the original point of origin or destination

Period
Within 3 days before or up to 14 days after the original departure date (ticket validity may be extended)

Allowance
Rebook into the same class as original or if not available the lowest class available in the same cabin

Important information
Includes any connecting services that are BA or Joint Business 'Back and Beyonds' if included on the same ticket

Check class mapping if re-booking onto an alternative JB carrier

IB flights - Only use U, P, G or X class if booked originally in these classes
Must advise customer that travel to/from original points are at their expense, including consequential costs, e.g. car hire, hotel, etc.

Add remark into the booking stating that customer has been advised of the above

Involuntary reissue is made with no re-pricing to the ticket

If customer insists that the new journey is requoted and this results in a higher fare, including taxes, fees and charges, the customer will need to pay any additional amount.

Includes BA Franchisee/subsidiary services
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...|||||L2|||||||
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:57 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by richardwft

Generally, clarifying passenger rights under EC261 2004 helps all reading.
As it appears that the OP lives in the North West so may want to go back there !

OP look at the times of other flights from LGW or LCY and see if they work for you then phone up again and ask to be moved to one of those and again ask about ending your trip and making yiur own way back to MAN.

this is a change that BA have forced on you so they should be amenable to it. Perhaps the agent misunderstood and thought you were asking for a change and hadn’t realised your flight to MAN had been changed hence them wanting to impose the change fee,

and chaps petty spats don’t help the OP. Yes they could ask for a refund but that’s no use if alternative routes are now more expensive.
no such thing as a BA LGW or LCY to Manchester option. BA stopped these years ago.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
LGW-MAN indeed no longer exists, but LCY does (albeit on a limited schedule and not year round).
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think what the OP wants is practical help, not glib statements of rights under EC261 and an argument over finer points.

While there is clearly a right to cancel, this may not be the best option for the OP and it's worth exploring other avenues, which would might include:
- Long haul route changes. I think YYC is Calgary and so a one-flight-a-day option so moving the time of long haul may not be possible and there may not be another airport within the 300 mile radius for rerouting. Unless anyone has better ideas, I don't see this helping.
- Changing routing for connections The OP could explore moving the domestic connections to a different airport with more convenient flight times - Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh or Glasgow could all be options depending on where the OP actually lives. BA should also permit changes to the outbound flight in this situation, so avoiding a car being stranded at MAN for example. There doesn't necessarily have to be Avios availability on new flights to be able to rebook the connections.
- Cancelling connection (or connections) - should be possible free of charge and any taxes and charges for the domestic leg should be refunded. NB it's unlikely BA would pay for alternative transport but worth asking.
- Changing day of flight. Again, the OP could maybe look at flying home a day or two earlier or later if that facilitated a more reasonable connection at LHR. Again you wouldn't necessarily need Avios availability to do this. [EDIT - it should be possible to move the outbound as well in the circumstances.]

I'd advise the OP to work out what works for him/her and call BA back with a solution, bearing in mind the guidelines posted by Prospero. If "computer says no", give it a few days and call back, the back office can take a while to catch up on what's allowed re cancelations. I'm sure you'll get something sensible sorted.
toothy, wrp96 and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thank you all for the answers and apologies for not giving you all the information. Flight from Calgary is 4th October, landing into LHR on the 5th at 2pm ish, which is about the same time as a flight to MAN leaves. They cancelled the 5.30pm LHR-MAN on the 5th October I was booked on and emailed to say that we've been moved to the 9pm flight. There are no other LHR-MAN flights before then.

I'm happy to get off at LHR and get the train home to the North West (in true FT style, I can get them for free). I'm not even bothered about getting a refund (I've lost track whether I've paid extra avios for the domestic flight), but I'd rather not fork out 70 quid because BA have decided to reduce the number of flights on a Saturday.

I'll try ringing back later.

T
dougzz likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by toothy
I'm happy to get off at LHR and get the train home to the North West (in true FT style, I can get them for free). I'm not even bothered about getting a refund (I've lost track whether I've paid extra avios for the domestic flight), but I'd rather not fork out 70 quid because BA have decided to reduce the number of flights on a Saturday.

I'll try ringing back later.
T
Sounds like the best plan, there shouldn't be any charge for cancelling this sector. Sounds like the agent didn't understand that you were subject to an involuntary change. Maybe they thought you wanted to change flights for your own reasons and didn't even look at the booking. If you drop the flight to MAN you will get some taxes back (usually about Ł30 per person) but no Avios, as domestics aren't charged for when connecting to long-haul.
toothy likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tim_T

no such thing as a BA LGW or LCY to Manchester option. BA stopped these years ago.
we all can't remember every single route BA flies can we? And surely checking other airports is pretty standard advice.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Call back, make sure you mention that DUE TO THEIR CANCELLATION you want to drop the LHR-MAN leg (to make sure the operator knows it's not your whim that you want to drop the leg, and that the alternative offered is not acceptable), and request to drop LHR-MAN free of charge without any fees or charges. If you did pay extra Avios on top of your long haul leg, then you should also ask for them back.

You should be able to do this successfully.

DO NOT accept the rebooking on 9pm before you call, because it may be taken as your having accepted the change, and then you subsequently changed your mind.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Gaming the guidelines, you might be able to:

i) Push the LHR-MAN leg back to a future date when you can use it as part of a later trip, or forget about it if that trip doesn’t happen. That may cost you APD.

ii) Change your final leg to LGW-EDI at 1710 or 2125, just so you get you luggage back at LHR, then no show at LGW. BA will normally let you change your end point within 200 miles (or it could be 300).
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Depends what class you are in and your view on changing but Calgary to Dallas to Heathrow will connect to earlier flights or you can fly Calgary Dallas Philadelphia Manchester.

Maybe do nothing at this stage as weekend engineering works for October is not yet planned and you don’t want to cancel to find there’s no or a convoluted train journey.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
we all can't remember every single route BA flies can we? And surely checking other airports is pretty standard advice.
Whilst checking other airports is good advice, there’s no point in giving advice to someone asking for help that adds no value.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Depends what class you are in and your view on changing but Calgary to Dallas to Heathrow will connect to earlier flights or you can fly Calgary Dallas Philadelphia Manchester.

Maybe do nothing at this stage as weekend engineering works for October is not yet planned and you don’t want to cancel to find there’s no or a convoluted train journey.
Thanks - it's an Amex 241 so I doubt they'll re-route. Good point re engineering works - half the family works for the Railway so I'll get them to find out.

T
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Whilst checking other airports is good advice, there’s no point in giving advice to someone asking for help that adds no value.
oh come off it. I did offer the OP lots of advice so why pick on a small thing which people all over this (and other) board suggest posters do i.e. check other routes. until you check you don't know.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Member

Thanks - it's an Amex 241 so I doubt they'll re-route. Good point re engineering works - half the family works for the Railway so I'll get them to find out.

T
when subject to a cancellation and with EC261, your avios booking using a 241 should make no difference. Should being the key word, you might need to push for a supervisor if computer says no.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.