Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA,s policy [flights cancelled when pax has expired ESTA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA,s policy [flights cancelled when pax has expired ESTA]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
so lets say the ESTA does not get approved by the time you get to LHR, what happens? Is the airline responsible to get you back where you started from? or does it become a tom hanks movie till your scheduled return (possibly many months) comes around?
"especially if the passenger can enter the UK" then the passenger is not stuck in the airport.

As already mentioned, BA has been paid enough to transport the passenger CPH-DEN, so the occasional CPH-LHR-CPH return wouldn't be too much for them to cover.

BA can make the rules, which I still consider overly strict.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite

No, BA didn’t steal your money. The the conditions of carriage that you agreed to.
The OP is probably a thousand or more pounds down over this, and might not be used to hard-nosed business practices. I think his response is understandable.

To actually be helpful to the OP:
  • Certain courts (including some UK courts, and perhaps Italian courts too) have ruled that automatically cancelling return flights, when the outbound flights are not flown, and in some cases not providing a refund, is unfair. You could follow a process to try to reclaim some money, and you could potentially pursue BA in the Danish courts.
There's also the issue of refusing you boarding on CPH to LHR. This is what BA has to say in its Terms and Conditions:

We may decide to refuse to carry you or your baggage if one or more of the following has happened or we reasonably believe may happen...

7a15) If you have not, or do not appear to have, valid travel documents.

7a16) If you try to enter a country for which your travel documents are not valid.

7a17) If the immigration authority for the country you are travelling to, or for a country in which you have a stopover, has told us (either orally or in writing) that it has decided not to allow you to enter that country, even if you have, or appear to have, valid travel documents.

7a18) If you destroy your travel documents during the flight.

7a19) If you have refused to allow us to photocopy your travel documents.

7a20) If you have refused to give your travel documents to a member of the crew of the aircraft, when we have asked you to do so.

7a21) If you ask the relevant government authorities for permission to enter a country in which you have landed as a transit passenger.

Now I don't think it's clear whether the ESTA constitutes a 'travel document' so 7a15 might or might not apply. Section 7a17 seems more interesting, because if it's likely that you would have the Travel Authorization by the time you got to London, then can BA still rely on that section to deny you boarding? I'm not a lawyer, though.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
The OP is probably a thousand or more pounds down over this, and might not be used to hard-nosed business practices. I think his response is understandable.

• Certain courts (including some UK courts, and perhaps Italian courts too) have ruled that automatically cancelling return flights, when the outbound flights are not flown, and in some cases not providing a refund, is unfair. You could follow a process to try to reclaim some money, and you could potentially pursue BA in the Danish courts.
There's also the issue of refusing you boarding on CPH to LHR. This is what BA has to say in its Terms and Conditions:

Now I don't think it's clear whether the ESTA constitutes a 'travel document' so 7a15 might or might not apply. Section 7a17 seems more interesting, because if it's likely that you would have the Travel Authorization by the time you got to London, then can BA still rely on that section to deny you boarding? I'm not a lawyer, though.
As a complete aside, section 7a21 means that anyone who decides to skirt around flight connections when connecting in LHR and decides transit landside could be denied boarding if BA fancies it. It would be a very sneaky way to try to avoid EC 261 compensation.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I know of the IB case although that was a situation where the passenger missed the outbound but tried to take the inbound of a shorthaul return, the price of the return was effectively the sum of the two one ways. I think for longhaul where a return is usually cheaper than two one ways that reasoning may not apply. In any case a lower Spanish court ruling is not going to provide any authority over a DK or UK court. That isn't relevant to this situation though as the OP isn't looking to miss the outbound and take the inbound.

There was the LH case where I think the passenger missed the last leg of an exEU type itinerary and LH tried to recover costs for a repriced ticket. Again I don't see that as being relevant here.

What cases have there been like the OP's bearing in mind the OP did not present himself at check in with the correct documents for the destination and where a partial/full refund is provided?

Btw it isn't much but I imagine the taxes and fees should be refunded to the OP in the same way that you can get them refunded for a no show on a non-refundable ticket.

Now I don't think it's clear whether the ESTA constitutes a 'travel document' so 7a15 might or might not apply.
I don't see that how being denied for not having an ESTA wouldn't fall under 7a15. I am not sure you will get very far suggesting an ESTA doesn't fall within that section as being a component of the travel documents required.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Look, I have a lot of sympathy for people when minor bureaucratic issues get in the way and common sense goes out the window. Ranting about criminal acts and stealing get little sympathy, however. When you buy a ticket from any major airline, there are several boxes you have to tick and rules you have to agree to before paying. These make clear the rules that you agree too. Not reading them, or choosing to interpret them in a manner that suits you is no excuse when things do go wrong.

An ESTA is a travel document, clear and simple. It is an electronic visa waiver form. It is as much a travel document for entry to the US as a passport is. The suggestion that it's a 'nice to have' is not true. Non of the exemptions listed above will apply in this case, in part because the ticket sold was to the US, not a bunch of intermediate stops.
Sealink and argonath like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by flatlander
"especially if the passenger can enter the UK" then the passenger is not stuck in the airport.

As already mentioned, BA has been paid enough to transport the passenger CPH-DEN, so the occasional CPH-LHR-CPH return wouldn't be too much for them to cover.

BA can make the rules, which I still consider overly strict.
But as already answered, whilst this may be true in this case, this will not always be. Imagine that it is the other way round: Passenger is flying from DEN to CPH via LHR and at the time of boarding at DEN, they have not received confirmation of the Schengen visa that we will assume they need on this occasion. Do you expect BA to say no, and when the traveller complains that their colleague was told it was ok last year from CPH to DEN, would they answer: "yes, but in their case, their ticket was sufficiently expensive that it would cover the cost of a CPH-LHR if the documentation is not in order by the departure of the long haul flight, whilst in your case, your ticket is actually cheaper than to London so you can't because your flight is not expensive enough "?

Would agents need to check fares before deciding whether to allow partial travel or not? Would they even be allowed to charge a cost for a CPH-LHR or DEN-LHR which is not what the passenger bought?

Do you also realise that this may also invalidate travel insurance cover for the passenger if it includes any stipulation on visa being denied?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

I don't see that how being denied for not having an ESTA wouldn't fall under 7a15. I am not sure you will get very far suggesting an ESTA doesn't fall within that section as being a component of the travel documents required.
Ultimately, having an 'ESTA' just means your name is on a guest-list of names (together with some other identifying features) of people allowed to travel to the USA without a visa. There is no ESTA document, whether in hard-copy or in pdf format. This might be different to the e-Visas some countries issue (which are required to be printed out and shown at immigration).
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ultimately, having an 'ESTA' just means your name is on a guest-list of names (together with some other identifying features) of people allowed to travel to the USA without a visa. There is no ESTA document, whether in hard-copy or in pdf format. This might be different to the e-Visas some countries issue (which are required to be printed out and shown at immigration).
I think you are trying to stretch this well beyond what is sustainable. I don't think there is any point the OP trying to pursue this line of argument.

Btw you can print your ESTA confirmation document from the ESTA site - I usually do.
orbitmic, LondonAndy and argonath like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is no ESTA document, whether in hard-copy or in pdf format. This might be different to the e-Visas some countries issue (which are required to be printed out and shown at immigration).
Sure there is. There is an electronic document, downloadable in pdf format, that confirms that authorisation was approved, along with an application number and the relevant passport information. Important is not the piece of paper, but rather the fact that authorisation is registered with CBP. I don't think this is any different from the green I-94W forms previously issued, namely that ultimate authority rests with CBP. In the context I think it's a bit fanciful to describe an ESTA as a guest list.
wrp96 and argonath like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
I’m surprised no one has mentioned yet that every time you travel to USA you are supposed to edit your ESTA and enter the address you are staying when you arrive. If you don’t I’m guessing that you are probably breaking the rules anyway. Obviously when you make your edit you would know immediately if it had expired.
We generally edit ours when we enter the required information on the booking.
I should have added we were strongly advised to update our address on the ESTA but I realise now we wrongly took it to mean mandatory. On one occasion entering Miami we had to show proof of our booking confirmation.
I've come to the conclusion it's best practice to stick with unknown.

Last edited by Light Travellers; Jul 10, 2019 at 3:45 am Reason: Added info giving reason for reply.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Light Travellers
I’m surprised no one has mentioned yet that every time you travel to USA you are supposed to edit your ESTA and enter the address you are staying when you arrive. If you don’t I’m guessing that you are probably breaking the rules anyway. Obviously when you make your edit you would know immediately if it had expired.
I don't necessarily think so, especially as they'd get your most recent address in the US from the Advance Passenger Information that the airline is required to collect from you each time before you travel.

Related question from the ESTA FAQs:
> Can prospective travelers apply for an ESTA without specific travel plans if they want to be able to travel to the United States later on short notice?

> Yes. VWP travelers are not required to have specific plans to travel to the United States before they apply for an ESTA.If a traveler’s destination in the United States is unknown when he or she completes the ESTA application, the traveler should enter “Unknown.” Travelers may update this information when their plans are finalized, but they will not be required to update their destination addresses or itineraries should they change after their ESTA application has been approved. DHS recommends that ESTA applications be submitted as early as possible, as soon as, or even before travel is planned. ESTA will accept applications from last-minute and emergency travelers – those VWP travelers who arrive at the airport without an approved ESTA.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
so lets say the ESTA does not get approved by the time you get to LHR, what happens? Is the airline responsible to get you back where you started from? or does it become a tom hanks movie till your scheduled return (possibly many months) comes around?
If he has an EU passport why is there an issue? Just issue bp and tag bag as far as LHR. Clear UK Immigration (assuming EU passport) and not BA’s problem. And no obligation on BA or anyone else to return - and no obligation on op to leave.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Light Travellers
The system tells you that you can enter "UNKNOWN" in the address field if you do not know the address at the time of applying. I do not recall seeing a requirement to then update it at a later stage and it has certainly never been an issue for me to have my ESTA saying "UNKNOWN" on several arrivals to the US.

I think that if they even do check the information they will look at your API on the booking instead.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:15 am

[QUOTE=jfallesen;31267096]The system tells you that you can enter "UNKNOWN" in the address field if you do not know the address at the time of applying. I do not recall seeing a requirement to then update it at a later stage and it has certainly never been an issue for me to have my ESTA saying "UNKNOWN" on several arrivals to the US.

I've never bothered to update my address when visiting the US in multiple trips so as stated its not a problem..
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
As a complete aside, section 7a21 means that anyone who decides to skirt around flight connections when connecting in LHR and decides transit landside could be denied boarding if BA fancies it. It would be a very sneaky way to try to avoid EC 261 compensation.
A literal reading of that section would also seem to apply to ITI connections through the US...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.