Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA,s policy [flights cancelled when pax has expired ESTA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA,s policy [flights cancelled when pax has expired ESTA]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:52 am

Another reason to check in online at T-24. I had a similar situation involving a replaced lost passport & forgetting that the ESTA is linked to passport & not the individual. When I tried to check in the lack of a valid ESTA was flagged giving me some breathing space to apply for a new one (which arrived instantly). I believe CBP now state you need a minimum of 72 hours so it is reassuring to note the recent experiences upthread of almost instant approvals.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by mda03jb
Another reason to check in online at T-24. I had a similar situation involving a replaced lost passport & forgetting that the ESTA is linked to passport & not the individual. When I tried to check in the lack of a valid ESTA was flagged giving me some breathing space to apply for a new one (which arrived instantly). I believe CBP now state you need a minimum of 72 hours so it is reassuring to note the recent experiences upthread of almost instant approvals.
I'm not sure that instant approvals is still a thing though, it used to be but when I applied (in a panic) a few weeks back it took over three hours, and I've had many ESTAs before as well as having global entry and hence have been through all the additional screening.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by dougzz
Hyperbole maybe, but it's not a stretch to imagine English is not the OPs first language. Also they have two posts, so they're new and I think the expected degree of rational behaviour and calmness to situations faced by those that travel less frequently and are armed with less information than than the typical FTer is not always appreciated here.

Rookie error followed by bit of a rant, fair enough really.
They're BA silver, so that would suggest fairly frequent travelers??
Sealink likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends on what you consider a frequent traveler to be. If the guy is replicating the type of flight that he is referring in Club, then he only has to do slightly more than two RT's a year, not too frequent in these parts.
dougzz likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not even two returns in Club is it, 40+140 is 360 off the return, had he have travelled.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Joely
I'm not sure that instant approvals is still a thing though, it used to be but when I applied (in a panic) a few weeks back it took over three hours, and I've had many ESTAs before as well as having global entry and hence have been through all the additional screening.
I posted upthread the current notice which is apply no later than 72 hours before the flight and that has been the case for several months if not longer. CBP has previously said that it no longer guarantees instant approval and even if it does it does it does not mean it filters down to the airline immediately and it is what the airline sees that matters

I didn't get an instant approval a few weeks ago and IIRC it was the same 2 years ago but it was hours - but again I've had several ESTA before as well as having GE.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Acrymaster
i see this as a criminal act of BA.I have paid for my return ticket but BA cancelled it
It will partially come down to the member of staff you deal with, but the approach that someone takes is also very important. The closest I've come to this is when my brother got the date for the flight wrong, and wasn't at the airport when he should have been (and couldn't make it in time). I went to the desk and said "I've got a problem. My brother's an idiot. You are under no obligation to do anything to help, but I'd be really grateful if you could see what you could do". The member of staff booked him on the flight 24 hours later, and protected the original return. If I'd gone to the desk accusing the airline of criminal acts due to my (brother's) stupidity I'm sure it would have been a different matter.
Sealink, orbitmic, cbagent and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I have sympathy for the original poster. It must be like a punch in the stomach to realise your ESTA has expired and that you will lose money on the flight.

But the decision to not allow you fly was really outside BA's control: immigration (especially USA) comes down hard on airlines who allow people to fly without an ESTA (remember this is only permission to fly without a Visa, not an entry pass), and BA have responsibilities.

When you apply for an ESTA the system will let you know if you have a current one before taking your money again. So always worth checking. That said, I think if you approached the desk with a certain attitude, the staff will likely do the bare minimum they are required to do. In this case, suggest a new ticket purchase.

That said, I return to my original point, it must have been galling. I'd put it down to a very expensive life lesson.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by LondonElite

No, BA didn’t steal your money. The the conditions of carriage that you agreed to.
Some sympathy though a lot of whether you can fix this depends on the time as mentioned.

Been here....was at MAN. I have two UK passports due to the whole countries that don't like each others stamps scenario and of course pitched up at MAN with the wrong one from an ESTA perspective. I had to apply for a new one there and then but the check in agent sent my bags down anyway, just wouldn't give me the boarding card til the ESTA came through, which it did almost instantly. I guess time was on my side there.

I totally hate the auto cancel the return leg thing, there should at least be an option to inform the airline you intend to use the return so they need to leave it in place, in my experience this is always a fight. Best one I ever had was FlyBe cancelling a flight, I got a train to Southampton instead, pitched up for the return flight, ticket cancelled as I never took the outbound flight.....you mean the one you cancelled!!!!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I consider it rather sharp practice to deny boarding CPH-LHR on the basis of being unable to fly LHR-DEN at that time (no ESTA). The appropriate time to deny boarding is in LHR when boarding the flight to DEN if there is still no valid ESTA at that time, especially if the passenger can enter the UK. BA is being more strict than any immigration rules require.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Some sympathy though a lot of whether you can fix this depends on the time as mentioned.

Been here....was at MAN. I have two UK passports due to the whole countries that don't like each others stamps scenario and of course pitched up at MAN with the wrong one from an ESTA perspective. I had to apply for a new one there and then but the check in agent sent my bags down anyway, just wouldn't give me the boarding card til the ESTA came through, which it did almost instantly. I guess time was on my side there.

I totally hate the auto cancel the return leg thing, there should at least be an option to inform the airline you intend to use the return so they need to leave it in place, in my experience this is always a fight. Best one I ever had was FlyBe cancelling a flight, I got a train to Southampton instead, pitched up for the return flight, ticket cancelled as I never took the outbound flight.....you mean the one you cancelled!!!!
That would be a really neat way to get a cheap one way ticket. Which is I suspect one of the reasons it is not allowed.....
cbagent likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by flatlander
I consider it rather sharp practice to deny boarding CPH-LHR on the basis of being unable to fly LHR-DEN at that time (no ESTA). The appropriate time to deny boarding is in LHR when boarding the flight to DEN if there is still no valid ESTA at that time, especially if the passenger can enter the UK. BA is being more strict than any immigration rules require.
Would,t that cause delay though as the passengers bags would already have been transferred to the transatlantic flight? The passengers first interaction with BA staff would probably be at the gate, meaning his bags would probably be already loaded onto the aircraft. They then have to be searched for and off loaded.

Then if the passenger wants to.totally abandon the trip he would need flying back to his start point, probably adding to his costs.

Perhaps telling him him at the start point check in that due to no ESTA he cannot travel to the USA, but giving him the option to travel as far as LHR if he wants and only checking his baggage that far.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by flatlander
so lets say the ESTA does not get approved by the time you get to LHR, what happens? Is the airline responsible to get you back where you started from? or does it become a tom hanks movie till your scheduled return (possibly many months) comes around?
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Joely
I had a last minute trip to NYC in April this year. I told the conference organisers that I would only come if my ESTA was approved quickly (I found out I was wanted there less than 72 hours before I would have to fly). I applied online and was approved instantly so they do still happen but certainly not guaranteed.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:27 am

MrsArgonth was denied (for a short period of time) boarding on GLA-LHR-NYC as no ESTA appeared on the system, and that was nearly ten years ago so seems to the procedure. Was approved after a rapid taxi ride back home to get the ESTA number as I had'nt written it down..doh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.