FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tokyo Narita 787 Route (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1976132-tokyo-narita-787-route.html)

Knowle Rohrer Jun 29, 2019 3:23 pm

Tokyo Narita 787 Route

Hi,

I am looking at booking to Tokyo for next year with BA and would prefer the Narita flight to the Haneda one due to the departure time both from Heathrow and Narita. My only concern is the fact that BA use a 787-9 Dreamliner on the route as I am aware of the engine inspection issues.

Last year I flew this route with them and the return flight was cancelled at short notice and BA originally were going to reroute me via Chicago back to London which would have been 24 hour journey and I had to rush to try and get an ESTA sorted. Thankfully in the end they managed to rebook me with JAL on a direct flight from Haneda but I really do not want this stress again especially as I was not eligible for compensation.

Is the engine issue likely to be sorted by next year? Unfortunately JAL & ANA's evening departures are really too expensive to be viable alternatives.

Starship73 Jun 30, 2019 1:22 am

The Trent 1000 engine issues are now very well understood by both Rolls-Royce and BA. While the extra inspections mean that the aircraft may not be scheduled to fly quite as much as other types, I don’t think you should be worrying about a higher likelihood of short-notice flight cancellations (particularly as you are planning to travel next year). The affected engines are progressively being fitted with upgraded parts. I am booked to fly NRT-LHR in a couple of weeks so hopefully I won’t be forced to eat my words!

Airprox Jun 30, 2019 1:32 am

NRT will be switching to the B788 from spring next year, so bear that in mind. Can't remember if it is March or May?

LBP2 Jun 30, 2019 1:33 am

I got caught up in the short notice route suspension last year too, but other than that had no issues since over 6x returns. The route is changing to 788s next spring so likely to be even less chance of any lingering 789 engine problems.

Edit - changes to 788 from 1 June

Kappo84 Jun 30, 2019 2:57 am

Been a long time lurker but thought I’d finally register as this thread piqued my interest. I fly regularly to California on the 789 and (touch wood) haven’t had too many issues with engine-related cancellations. Seems BA is fairly good at minimising those these days. Obviously no guarantee.

On the change to 788 - the mrs and I are booked to NRT return in F next April on a 241 w avios - I’ve seen no changes in MMB so assume we will still be ok? What would likely happen if they changed to a 788 earlier, downgrade to J?

LBP2 Jun 30, 2019 3:32 am

There won't be any changes to MMB as the 789 is still scheduled for April. In the unlikely event they pull the change forward then there would be no F seats so you'd obviously be looking at a downgrade on that flight, the other option being possibly switching to HND.

By process of elimination across the various TYO threads at the moment I'm trying to figure out which FTer grabbed the 2 F seats I was after for next April - I missed them by a whisker :mad:

Kappo84 Jun 30, 2019 3:48 am

We only managed to get F on the way out as for some reason they were avail to book direct (maybe a cancellation) - I never saw F appear at all on the return, so we’re flying back J at the moment (can’t complain really). I had to ring at 1am to get the return J seats (F wasn’t even released or I missed it) and by the time the agent secured our 2 the other 2 avail had gone.

LBP2 Jun 30, 2019 3:54 am

I applied a TA GUF2 on LHR-KIX / NRT-LHR in J, was planning to upgrade the return but the seats disappeared just before BA approved my voucher :(

spanishflea Sep 16, 2019 3:30 pm

Looks like the 789 has been put back into the Narita route next summer which is good news. Lots of F Avios availability in May/June but then the cabin is completely zeroed out for most of July-August (with the cabin showing as blocked, no seats allocated). Presumably Olympic Games related?

Airprox Sep 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by spanishflea (Post 31532011)
Looks like the 789 has been put back into the Narita route next summer which is good news. Lots of F Avios availability in May/June but then the cabin is completely zeroed out for most of July-August (with the cabin showing as blocked, no seats allocated). Presumably Olympic Games related?

shhhhh, don't tell everyone, I haven't booked yet.

LCY8737 Sep 16, 2019 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by spanishflea (Post 31532011)

June will also put you in the rainy season. Not quite as dramatic as other parts of the world, but it is far from pleasant and can be very humid. I would not voluntarily go.

MintWasabe Nov 5, 2019 5:12 am

I just booked LHR-NRT using my 2-4-1 voucher for October 2020. I booked in a rush at midnight to snag the club world seats and belatedly saw that the NRT route will be a 777 in October- a shame as I was looking forward to the 787 experience- especially as the club world cabin on the 777 looks rather large and dormitory-like. Last time I flew club world on a 777 was to Bangkok and the engine noise at the back of the cabin was very loud.

SKRan Nov 5, 2019 5:13 am

Chicago.. wow

MintWasabe Nov 7, 2019 3:55 am

Checked again today and 787 is back on the LHR-NRT route!

gilbertball Nov 7, 2019 5:01 am

We are travelling in F on BA6 from Narita to Heathrow in December.

I read in another thread something about it being FLUB - that they frequently change the First cabin to be Club service.

Is this something that might happen in December?

If so presumably we would recieve a refund on Avios x 2 (used 241 voucher)

Cheers