FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Enough time to use the Arrivals Lounge? And duty free carry on question. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1976110-enough-time-use-arrivals-lounge-duty-free-carry-question.html)

tattikat2 Jun 29, 2019 12:01 pm

Enough time to use the Arrivals Lounge? And duty free carry on question.

Hello,

Arriving LHR 11am from SFO and departing LGW toFrance ( non-BA) at 3pm.
Is that enough time for the arrivals lounge before transfer to LGW? ( never done it before.

Also, if we have duty free bottles from SFO, can we take them on board as cabin luggage on our flight to France?

Thanks for any replies^

Can I help you Jun 29, 2019 12:07 pm

Personally I would head straight down to LGW and use one of excellent lounges there.
With your duty free just make sure it’s in one of the non tamper proof bags.

UKtravelbear Jun 29, 2019 12:13 pm

Unless the SFO flight landed very early I'd go straight to LGW. Lounge access will depend which airline you are flying to France with but there are a few commercial lounges in both LGW terminals. Not sure if they have showers though - Mr Google will help

Yes - as long as the shop at SFO puts them in a STEB with the receipt and you remember not to open it!

tattikat2 Jun 29, 2019 2:33 pm

Thank you both for your replies!

Much appreciated.

The _Banking_Scot Jun 29, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi,

Not sure if you will have hold ( checked) luggage but it will not be transferred from LHR to LGW so you will need to pick it up at LHR and take it with you.

Regards

TBS

Davidjonesk Jun 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Yeah, you will need to keep moving. If you have a US passport, you can now use the E-gates at passport control. Hope luggage delivery doesn’t take long. How are you planning to transfer between airports?

That said, if everything is going to plan, you could pop up to the Arrivals lounge for a few minutes. A coffee or an orange juice could be taken quickly and then on your way.

DutchessPDX Jun 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Heck, my last trip to LHR, it took 2.5+ hours to get through immigration, let alone get to LGW. I would say you need to head to LGW ASAP.

UKtravelbear Jun 29, 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX (Post 31253123)
Heck, my last trip to LHR, it took 2.5+ hours to get through immigration, let alone get to LGW. I would say you need to head to LGW ASAP.

I think we need to start distinguishing pre and post opening up of the exit gates. All the reports I've seen are that people from the extra permitted nations able to use the e-gates are getting through a heck of a lot quicker than previously when they had to queue up and see an officer and because of that those not eligible to use the gates are also getting processed quicker as well - as they would if you take a chunk of people out of that stream,

DutchessPDX Jun 30, 2019 12:33 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31253425)
I think we need to start distinguishing pre and post opening up of the exit gates. All the reports I've seen are that people from the extra permitted nations able to use the e-gates are getting through a heck of a lot quicker than previously when they had to queue up and see an officer and because of that those not eligible to use the gates are also getting processed quicker as well - as they would if you take a chunk of people out of that stream,

You do have an excellent point. This was November, just before they opened the gates to US citizens.