Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

G-ZBJD comes out of maintainable, immediately goes tech, twice!

Old Jun 29, 19, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum

I had he dubious honour of flying home from YUL on the BA 94 yesterday which eventually arrived at LHR over 6 hours late having departed Montréal at half three in the morning. It was operated by G-ZBJD which was at CWL for maintenance, got to LHR at 17:00 on Thursday and was immediately pressed into service as the BA 95 which was due to depart 40 minutes after it arrived. Obviously you can’t turn a 787 around in 40 minutes so that started the delay ball rolling but then they found out that there was a hydraulic fault/leak that needed fixing hence even more delays. So the 95 finally made it to YUL about 2:30 late, having made up some of the delay in flight only to lose it on the ground due to a thunderstorm.

So so at this point the 94 back to LHR is due to go at around midnight, but when the crew boards they find that the hydraulics they fixed at Heathrow failed again in flight. Long story short (well shortish), we finally push back at 03:35 after the engineering team at YUL begged, borrowed, or stole the parts from Air Canada at 2am.

So it kinda begs the question of what they were doing at CWL if the aircraft they were working on immediately goes tech, twice.

As as an aside, the crew on the flight did an exceptional job in trying circumstances.
Old Jun 29, 19, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Could be that whatever they were working on in Cardiff had no relation to what went wrong.
Heathrow Tower likes this.
Old Jun 29, 19, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
Could be that whatever they were working on in Cardiff had no relation to what went wrong.
Yeah of course, I was asking with my tongue half in cheek, but it is a very unfortunate coincidence if so.
Old Jun 29, 19, 3:37 am

Programs: Lowly blue, sometimes Bronze
I had a plane for 15 years.

My post maintenance pre flight used to take 4-5 times longer than a normal one and on a few occasions I found stuff that would make a difference. my trust was never lower than when someone had touched it.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jun 29, 19, 4:52 am

First flight out of maintenance with a B727 the whole front instrument panel fell out into our laps. Fortunately we had a flight engineer with his toolbox who was able to clip it back in place. Was a touch dramatic at the time. Always beware aircraft out of maintenance.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: