FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA holiday forced hotel change (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1975992-ba-holiday-forced-hotel-change.html)

nshep Jun 28, 2019 10:26 am

BA holiday forced hotel change

HI

Had an email today asking me to call into BA call centre regarding my upcoming BA holiday (first weekend in September) I was at first wondering why but on checking manage my booking my hotel is gone and in view that in may I received an email stating my chosen hotel had changed ownership (now will be Hyatt Madrid) I’m assuming BA can’t offer me that hotel anymore.

before I speak to BA (currently can’t call as it auto hangs up as lines to busy...) what rights do I have about getting booked into a new hotel ?

I paid next to nothing (£116 pp booked for four people) for return flights and 3 nights in Hespira Madrid (now Hyatt Madrid) and at this late stage I doubt any decent hotel will be given considering price I paid ...

Do Ba have to match same quality of hotel on rebooking regardless of price? Or will I be forced to pay any additional costs for new accommodation?

Thanks

DoctorCopper Jun 28, 2019 10:32 am

As far as I can tell from the Hyatt website, the Hesperia is available to book. Maybe you could check availability on-line and if it’s available for your dates, give BA Holidays a call.

Doc Copper

nshep Jun 28, 2019 10:38 am

Yeah I’m thinking they have lost maybe right to sell rooms there as part of BA holiday (lost there special rates maybe) either way phoning BA holidays is nearly an impossible task these days always massive hold times

nshep Jun 28, 2019 10:39 am

just attempted to call but got lines to busy and auto hangs up.....

LCY8737 Jun 28, 2019 10:40 am

If you don't like what they offer just say you'll have to think about it, hang up, do research, call again.

Having said that, I would assume they'll at least offer you a comparable standard/location hotel.

DoctorCopper Jun 28, 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by nshep (Post 31249256)
Yeah I’m thinking they have lost maybe right to sell rooms there as part of BA holiday (lost there special rates maybe) either way phoning BA holidays is nearly an impossible task these days always massive hold times

There’s a reason why the property is now under Hyatt. Might be that the hotel was losing money at the rates being charged. Your pricing is an indication of that.

Doc Copper

corporate-wage-slave Jun 28, 2019 12:25 pm

My advice would be to find your Plan B hotel wise - so a similar rated hotel in the vicinity, using the map functionality on Google Maps / Tripadvisor / hotel booking sites; and/or hear what the BA Holidays agent can offer (which would be currently online) - but you don't need to accept immediately, take down the details, perhaps express an interest but say you need to consult with your spouse / lover / the cat/ Boris whatever. Then research it before confirming.

Saturday morning would be a quiet time normally.

haroon145 Jun 28, 2019 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by nshep (Post 31249212)
HI

Had an email today asking me to call into BA call centre regarding my upcoming BA holiday (first weekend in September) I was at first wondering why but on checking manage my booking my hotel is gone and in view that in may I received an email stating my chosen hotel had changed ownership (now will be Hyatt Madrid) I’m assuming BA can’t offer me that hotel anymore.

before I speak to BA (currently can’t call as it auto hangs up as lines to busy...) what rights do I have about getting booked into a new hotel ?

I paid next to nothing (£116 pp booked for four people) for return flights and 3 nights in Hespira Madrid (now Hyatt Madrid) and at this late stage I doubt any decent hotel will be given considering price I paid ...

Do Ba have to match same quality of hotel on rebooking regardless of price? Or will I be forced to pay any additional costs for new accommodation?

Thanks

if booked as a BA holiday - the duty BA holidays will assist you and they are great :)

Irrespective of what you paid, you will be accommodated in equivalent accommodation at same standard - feel free to provide suggestions of suitable alternative hotels

Contact details:

[email protected]

nshep Jun 28, 2019 1:06 pm

So finally managed to get through to BA and the agent was very helpful he immediately offered me a re-booking into the Intercontinental Madrid which is fine with me, he then managed to select my seats on the outbound Iberia flight which previously I was told to phone Iberia who the told me to phone BA. Then I even managed to upgrade us all on the return leg which fingers crossed won't be changed from the 777 currently scheduled on the BA461.

Thanks for all your responses, i'm happy with the outcome.

KeaneJohn Jun 29, 2019 11:09 am

Originally Posted by WilliamMorrison (Post 31252114)
I think that there will be no additional costs, you can even demand compensation.

This isn’t the case. Typically BA will rebook you in a similar hotel in a similar property but often the budget is what they would be paying for the room. I was booked to go to Cancun and the hotel was closed at 2 weeks notice. We were offered an upgraded hotel another 60 miles away in the same hotel group. Selling price of new hotel was £1200 asked to go to different hotel in same group selling for £900 was told it wasn’t possible. Was told can cancel and get refund but with discounts would have only got something like £600 back. Asked how if it was the same area transfers were an extra £100 pp in the end BA offered complimentary transfers, double the compensation due and some Avios. Wasn’t the best holiday ... had moved from a 250 room property to a 5000 room one I needed the TO to get gold so ultimately glad I didn’t cancel. The main thing here is the OP has an outcome they are happy with.

MSPeconomist Jun 29, 2019 11:29 am

Hesperia to IC sounds like an upgrade to me.

Joshm300 Jun 29, 2019 11:38 am

Sounds like a good result. With any luck you may even end up on a BA a350 on the way back.

nshep Jun 29, 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31252362)
Hesperia to IC sounds like an upgrade to me.

this was exactly my thought 😂

nshep Jun 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Joshm300 (Post 31252399)
Sounds like a good result. With any luck you may even end up on a BA a350 on the way back.

i just hope they don’t swap to an A320 or A321 the only reason did upgrade (which was an absolute steal btw ) was so hopefully my mum (it was her birthday present) can see what long haul business looks like as she has only ever flow premium economy, trying to convert her to the dark side 😂

fruitcage Jun 29, 2019 2:55 pm

The BA holidays team have a very good reputation for exceeding expectations when sorting the occasional problems which are inevitable in the holidays business, and this is also my experience.