Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Following on from the thread this morning, about a trial for improvements to reward pricing, it seems BA snuck out another change last week - one of the team on the GGL line just confirmed to me that Gold Upgrade Vouchers can now be used on all bookings made direct with BA to upgrade one cabin to T, I or A class, with no requirement for award availability. Upgrades will be automatically approved if there is revenue availability in the higher class. This is a really great change and one that I’m sure many of us will benefit from. I have ten in my account that I need to find a use for so this can only help
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
An actual genuine enhancement, Great news!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Why am I always sceptical when BA rolls out something like this?.... maybe they will take it away from TAs? Maybe they will enhance it to one flight segment per Guf? Don’t know but it doesn’t add up...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Why am I always sceptical when BA rolls out something like this?.... maybe they will take it away from TAs? Maybe they will enhance it to one flight segment per Guf? Don’t know but it doesn’t add up...
Yes, there is always a chance they will start to enforce the rules and curtail your crazy exploits, but this is still a great and genuine enhancement

Incidetnally, the same benefit has also been extended to travel agencies. Propeller, for example, can now upgrade existing bookings using a GUF, where there is revenue availability in the higher booking class.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Propeller, for example, can now upgrade existing bookings using a GUF, where there is revenue availability in the higher booking class.
If what you report in this thread is true then a large number of bookings will no longer need to go through them.
danielbk likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: GGL
Following on from the thread this morning, about a trial for improvements to reward pricing, it seems BA snuck out another change last week - one of the team on the GGL line just confirmed to me that Gold Upgrade Vouchers can now be used on all bookings made direct with BA to upgrade one cabin to T, I or A class, with no requirement for award availability. Upgrades will be automatically approved if there is revenue availability in the higher class. This is a really great change and one that I’m sure many of us will benefit from. I have ten in my account that I need to find a use for so this can only help
This indirectly enhances jokers too.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

For GUF bookings with underlying cash tickets, yes, but Avios bookings will still require reward availability. I don’t know how this will apply to an underlying Avios booking using a GUF, but it would be great if it meant no reward availability was required!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airprox
If what you report in this thread is true then a large number of bookings will no longer need to go through them.
Yes, that’s correct, which, I’m sure Daniel will agree, is no bad thing! GUF bookings are incredibly labour intensive and even more so when changes are required.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON

Yes, that’s correct, which, I’m sure Daniel will agree, is no bad thing! GUF bookings are incredibly labour intensive and even more so when changes are required.
Indeed, I agree! Have updated the GUF info page to reflect this thread and will further update as required.

Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
wowee a great improvement really. I imagine it would push people stuck on 2300 tp to make the effort for example.
PJSMITH0 and acucobol like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am

I suspect I'll be pushing to hit 2500 rather than 1500 now then... and once there, what's the extra 500? Lol.
Filthy Monkey likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I wonder what the position will be on upgrades to First on Boston and Dubai routes where there now is no A fare, only F?

Despite the above query, looks like a good change.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I do wonder if the experiment with the removal of A class on some routes would be extended, and if so, would that eliminate GUFs to F on said routes?

Does anyone have recent experience of using GUFs to F via a TA (or using a Joker to open award availability in F) on these routes (it was DXB and maybe BOS, can’t recall exactly right now)?

Otherwise, this does seem like a good thing.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Oaxaca

I do wonder if the experiment with the removal of A class on some routes would be extended, and if so, would that eliminate GUFs to F on said routes?

Does anyone have recent experience of using GUFs to F via a TA (or using a Joker to open award availability in F) on these routes (it was DXB and maybe BOS, can’t recall exactly right now)?

Otherwise, this does seem like a good thing.
TA are unable to Guf those two routes to F at the moment - indeed I needed to do that and it just can’t be done.
If this experiment spreads it’s not good news
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
There have been a number of recent changes with very little communication and I can't help wondering whether they are all connected and leading to an overhaul of the programme in the medium term.

I'm also wondering whether this is linked in some way to the increase in airline fees for upgrades for CW-F using GUF from the USA. Perhaps the $200 charge to use my GUFs from here will be standard across the booking process yet with the removal of the need for redemption availability? That would at least give me some value for the extra $200 whereas at the moment it makes little sense on its own.
Geordie405 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.