British Airways Advantages

Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by richardwft

So in month 29 BA will have aircraft with CW seating that isnt as good as QR Q suite on aircraft wide enough for Q suite.
Well that's your opinion, you're entitled to it and I'll defend your right to have it. However I totally disagree with that and I don't think that the Q Suite or the Collins Super Diamond are remotely good seats. I was going to post and say that they don't yet have those bloody foot coffin seats with far lower seat pitch. That for me is one of the great attractions of BA and one that will be sadly going.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
As youre countering a factual statement, whats the percentage of their aircraft with Q suites?
Funnily enough, the answer is also 18%
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gynob001
No, I am confused. I wrote in general what I would like from an Airline. Because what I have been reading about BA in the forum, I just asked what does BA lack?
I am surprised how many defended BA and where were they in this forum about the bad bad BA!
as I also wrote, I mostly fly SkyTeam
You can't really look at the numbers who defend, or indeed pillory, BA. You have to go one step further and interpret whatever it is that matters to the Flyertalker, and there is no one single correct answer. In other words all you can do is try it yourself. Since BA's flights run pretty much full, and a particularly high proportion of BA's passenger are repeat travellers on the airline, then it can't be that far wrong - BA has a monopoly service on just a handful of services so mostly there are alternatives. Now the glue that helps here is the relatively good quality of BA's frequent flyer scheme, but you won't get hundreds of people volunteering themselves for avoidable torture, regardless of that.

To go your specific points, I would say BA have a good offer to all of them. Just 2 basic rules (ignoring the Hamburg Rule for the moment): avoid 787s in World Traveller; on older 777s ensure you have your own entertainment.
Englishlee0710 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
There is a range of opinion on this topic and ultimately until you try you will never know what you think! Ive tried to answer questions in bold below:

Originally Posted by Gynob001
After reading Airline news and many postings in FlyerTalk, one can't help feeling that BA is a third rate airlines! Is it that bad?
To me what matters are,
1. Good seating area at the gate.

This varies by airport. Heathrow generally has an ok gate area. I find this is a weakness of Gatwick South as getting into the gate area can take time.

2. Relaxed gate agent who is cheerful and politely answers questions. Posts updated info.

BAs own ground staff (at Heathrow / Gatwick, I cant speak for City) are normally pretty good. You wont find they take such an active role as US gate agents with large upgrade standby lists to process.

In my view, information about boarding status / gate information is not that good on any European airline compared to their US counterparts.

3. Easy structured boarding

BA boards by Group number. I think it tends to work well but, different airports operate it differently.

4. Convenient seating. I am neither tall or obese. Most seats are OK as long as they are supportive of my back and butt

You should be fine.

5. Decent room for storing one piece of allowed luggage

Yes on international. On European narrowbody flights, it can be a challenge on busy services.
6. I do get hungry-a light snack on domestic flights and a meal on International. I don't care for dessert etc.

You wont go hungry on BA but you may have to pay for snacks if you fly shorthaul.

7. Prompt departure and arrival.

BA are good at punctuality. Only caveat is that when things go wrong, because of their scale, they seem particularly inept at recovering / communicating and looking after customers (ie IRROPS scenarios).

8. Doors of the plane closing/opening for easy boarding and getting off.

BA do not hang about. At London airports, BAs own Turn-Round Manager or Turn-Round Coordinator (dispatchers) run a tight ship. They close their fligjts on time and at Heathrow T5 will not let you through security if you arrive beyond a certain time - so no hanging about for latecomers. On arrival, generally not too bad - as with any major airline, there can sometimes be a short wait for guidance systems to be activated or for the jetty to be positioned, but BA is not unique in that.

9. I bring my own entertainment. However, good movie selections on long distance flights.

Generally yes.

10. Important-I do like a pillow. It serves me to buffer intruding neighbor's hands. In this, all airlines have failed in economy, at least in domestic flights.

BA will fail you in economy on shorthaul and longhaul the pillow is no better than most other airlines. You can buy your own in the airport.

Has BA failed in these? Which airlines excel in these at a reasonable cost. I have had bad experience in Singapore Airlines-In my opinion they treat Asian Indians like dirt (even in fully paid business class). I like Delta, Malaysian, Air France.

I like to think that Britain in general, and certainly London where BA crew are based, is a very diverse place. Whilst I am not going to say that there are never any issues or unconscious bias / prejudice, which is an issue everywhere, I would hope you wouldnt experience any issues on BA. Not being a member of the Asian Indian group myself, I dont have any direct experience, however.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Just for arguments sake (go easy on me!), is there any airline that doesn't care for any of these? I have been on Air India, Aerofloat, (generally considered bad( and had phenomenally positive experience. Singapore/American/JAL /Jet Airways not good experiences. Great trip in Ethiopian,
Are we judging airlines from personal experiences of business or first class travelers? I think the basic expectations are the same. Airlines that charge a much higher fare do a little extra. But the cost worth it?
on the lighter side, Long time back Singapore Airlines had a slot machine in the back. Never had the experience before, I bought a $10 token , put it in the machine and pulled the lever. After 10 sec, I was broke by $10. Biggest rip off!
Are there other gimmicks that other airlines have tried?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.