Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat change - what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Seat change - what's the deal?

I took a flight LHR-FCO the other day in Club Europe where I'd assigned myself row 10 (Emergency Exit row on the A321) at time of booking. Online check in at T-24 still showing me as row 10, T5 check-in the boarding pass was printed and still row 10. Upon boarding I get the beep at the gate and I'm told I've been shifted out of row 10 and into row 12 in order to accommodate a couple. Row 12 being in the final row of Club. I asked to be switched back to my original row 10 seat and I'm told it's not possible. I also ask why I wasn't asked/paged to come forward earlier to see if I was willing in accommodating the split couple (I've been asked in this way before and obliged - just so long as the revised seat isn't any worse than the seat I'd already assigned). Gate agent just reiterated seat assignments are subject to operational change without notice.

On board, the meal choices ran out during serving row 10 which meant a choice of curry, curry or curry by the time the meal cart got to my row.

​​​​​​I had a chat to the purser about what had happened after the service was completed who confirmed zero frequent flyer data existed for the passengers in my original row 10 seat or the adjacent passenger on their iPad... and I believe them, they had no reason to lie.

What I'd like to know is why would BA seat shift a gold or other status passenger out of what was a prime seat (or any seat for that matter) in order to accommodate a couple of passengers who could have paid to guarantee seats together and who on this occasion appear to have chosen not to?

Just to clarify the seat was fully operational and in no way defective not were any passengers with infants which necessitate seating in specific rows because of emergency equipment (additional oxygen mask).
kingstontoon and Thysk like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jun 26, 2019 at 8:12 pm
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I would not have been happy at all in your situation. Over on the AA board they would be screaming Shena!

Paging C-W-S .......
dav662, fotographer and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
While I completely agree that they should have asked you first (and given you are a GCH, you should be one of the last to be asked to move!), they are sadly within their rights to do so. That does not make it right though. I had the same happen on QR in J where the station manager came on board long after boarding and told me to move (yes, told - not asked!) to accommodate a family. This has actually happened twice, and one time was to the dreaded, window-less 5K on the 788! Needless to say - and just like yourself - I was pretty unhappy at that point.

But if you ask me, in this case the purser was wrong in telling you what data did or did not exist - that really is none of your business.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
While I completely agree that they should have asked you first (and given you are a GCH, you should be one of the last to be asked to move!), they are sadly within their rights to do so. That does not make it right though. I had the same happen on QR in J where the station manager came on board long after boarding and told me to move (yes, told - not asked!) to accommodate a family. This has actually happened twice, and one time was to the dreaded, window-less 5K on the 788! Needless to say - and just like yourself - I was pretty unhappy at that point.

But if you ask me, in this case the purser was wrong in telling you what data did or did not exist - that really is none of your business.
It could have been worse ..... You could have been banished to those 2 nasty middle seats between the toilets and behind the bar!

The purser was extremely careful in their phrasing. To the point they didn't share specific data with me because it would have been a data protection breach. I know that and wouldn't put anyone in such a compromising position. The specific wording used (or not used) led me to my own conclusion there was zero data on the iPad regarding the couple's flyer status. Ultimately, higher status, lower status or no status is irrelevant I suppose, it's more to do with the way BA ground staff handled the seat reassignment and the justification over doing so. Had I paid for the seat assignment I'd have got a refund. As a GCH I got a tough luck story.
​​​​​
ajamieson likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I’m with @1Aturnleft on this one. There is no justification whatsoever to move them from their seat. The closest possible reason is if one of the couple had a medical need and so being sat together was beneficial. Of course, if this was the case they wouldn’t be sat in the exit row.

Could this be somebody doing a favour for another staff member and the couple be related?

I would be putting in a complaint. As for the lack of choice in the meal I would also complaint about that. That’s not to say that you would have much choice in row 10 often - the risk of choosing such a seat.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
2 points come to mind,

Seat shifting is for operational reasons. Accommodating a couple to sit together, ashough very nice, does not impact operations.
Why couldn't the person in row 12 have been moved forward instead of the person in row 10 had to be moved back?
Second, isn't there some practice to request frequent flyers for their meal choice before the rest of the cabin? Or is that only on other airlines.

If the meal choice was better handles, the seating issue would have been less of a problem.

Globalist
nancypants and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I’d be more put out as a GCH about the lack of meal choice. The CSM could have discreetly asked what you wanted before service started and reserved it for you.

Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
So much anger about where to sit on a 2 hour flight and a ready meal... FT really is a bubble...
KeaneJohn, TraumaDoc and mike03 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
So much anger about where to sit on a 2 hour flight and a ready meal... FT really is a bubble...
I don't see any anger in the OP's post; merely frustration. And understandably so: in a cabin where there are undoubtedly good seats and bad seats, with different levels of service, it does make a difference where you sit.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
I feel for the OP.

When its happened to me, I inform the CSM, CSD etc of the situation and ask if I can pre-order my meal from the choices before service begins. Staff have always obliged.
YacozA likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:16 am

I was moved recently without notice when boarding, seemingly with no justification other than "operational reasons". My seat had been changed by BA 3 times prior to the flight with no notification. I spoke to BA about why they do this and they advised they are working on a system solution to notify customers. A BA IT project.... sounds fun.

A couple of years back Mrs Y and I were moved from the front row of Y on the NCE-LHR route (was a 767) to almost the back row. It was a Saturday morning flight and I reckon there were no more than 50 passengers in Y. And our original seats were empty.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:25 am

I have heard that people get moved around on empty flights for trim purposes. I guess that makes sense as presumably the light load of pax all choose to sit as far forward as possible on checkin.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Agree with OP. Way too much of this happening. Nothing operational necessary about a shift of two rows.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Globalist
Second, isn't there some practice to request frequent flyers for their meal choice before the rest of the cabin? Or is that only on other airlines.

Globalist
Seems crazy that they wouldn't ask what their meal preference was. I am a member of Qatar Airways FFP and I am always asked what my meal preference is and brought it first and that is travelling in Y and not even top tier!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:54 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I'd put money on there being some sort of staff connection involved here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.