FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   v odd fares ?!? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1975836-v-odd-fares.html)

Seachain Jun 27, 2019 6:38 am

v odd fares ?!?

Couple of times, I've noticed now that if I book, say EDI to LCY, the "hand baggage only - last to board - allocated seats" fare will be £239 whilst the "checked baggage - standard" fare is £138. Glitch or am I missing something?

Kgmm77 Jun 27, 2019 7:19 am

Is this the booking algorithm recognising (or failing to recognise?) that certain routes with high levels of corporate travel with strict HBO policy rules (e.g. LCY) mean that demand for the HBO fares are much higher and effectively uncorrelated with the demand for Plus fares?

or it could simply be BA’s IT infrastructure :)

JAXBA Jun 27, 2019 3:31 pm

Shouldn't be inverted like that: for O/N/V/L/M/K/H/B booking classes there are HBO (Basic) and Standard (Plus) fares, so if only K class and higher is available, it should be the K- and K+ fares selling, not B- with M+

babats Jun 28, 2019 12:36 am

Originally Posted by JAXBA (Post 31246668)
Shouldn't be inverted like that: for O/N/V/L/M/K/H/B booking classes there are HBO (Basic) and Standard (Plus) fares, so if only K class and higher is available, it should be the K- and K+ fares selling, not B- with M+

Takes me back to my algebra classes (which I failed!)

lcylocal Jun 28, 2019 1:02 am

I noticed this recently when looking at fares to MAN (I think on the flight from LCY) Plus fare showing as £10 less than Basic. I didn’t pursue both right through the booking process to see if they would have actually booked like this.

Modo Jun 28, 2019 1:14 am

MAN to HKG June 4 was cheaper W baggage than WO. But to nothing like the OP's extent. Outbound it was cheaper than that EDI-LCY HBO fare!

corporate-wage-slave Jun 28, 2019 1:22 am

This is supply / demand driven, and is typically seen either close to departure or for flights which are jammed up in advance for specific events such as around rugby/football games or mega conferences. It typically doesn't persist for long, when Basic is above Plus for more than a day or two the next step is for the Basic fare to vanish altogether, and in terms of overhead locker space that makes sense. The only thing odd I have noticed is that when it becomes Plus only , sometimes the Plus fare drops! So you may get something like

5 days before departure: Plus £250, Basic £280
4 days before departure: Plus £260, Basic £300
3 days before departure: Plus £270 no basic offered
2 days before departure: Plus £250
1 days before departure: Plus £230

And everything in between. That said these are data outliers, on your typical 90% loaded aircraft Basic and Plus maintain the usual differential, with the fare of both gently climbing upwards as the aircraft fills up.