Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA658 LHR - Zakynthos, diverted to Zagreb, 26 Jun

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA658 LHR - Zakynthos, diverted to Zagreb, 26 Jun

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not going into details but also the aircraft was able to be used for commercial use.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m not going into details but also the aircraft was able to be used for commercial use.
I think you meant not able: There are procedures to be followed after an in-flight death such as disinfection of the aircraft or reloading the AED (though the latter may not be mandatory on BA).
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sorry, that’s exactly what meant.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by gcuk
Whatever the reason, it's absolutely right that the crew didn't continue.
It must be an incredibly stressful and emotional situation for a crew to lose a passenger, particularly those working directly to try and save the man.
I find it incomprehensible that any passengers would expected the crew to drop off the poor man's body and then carry on with the flight. The crew wouldn't be any any mental or physical condition to do so.
This must be awful. Fortunately the quick actions of the crew on a flight to Munich saved the life of a passenger last week but the crew were unable to operate the return sector so after 3 hours on the ground it ferried back to LHR.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Unfortunately, yes... I can believe it
How very sad for all concerned .

Compensation questions aleady on Twitter.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Claiming compensation in cases like this does, to me, seem somewhat inappropriate.

I recall once travelling on a Virgin East Coast train which hit and unfortunately killed a person on the tracks. Obviously, the train was then delayed – by about 4 hours. I felt very sorry for the train driver and crew who had to deal with the aftermath, also the family of the deceased who no doubt received the dreadful ‘knock on the door’.

I also felt very uncomfortable later when quite unexpectedly, I received an e-mail to say that a ‘Delay Repay’ amount had been paid to the credit card on which I had bought the tickets.

I gave an equivalent amount to a charity as I certainly did not wish to gain financially from someone’s very sad demise.
flygirl68 and tynmar like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Yes, seems inappropriate. Especially as they were very well looked after with good hotels, vouchers for the orginal wait in the airport and again yesterday whilst waiting and catered the plane with complimentary drinks and snacks for everyone.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Not that I’m defending the asking for compensation. But if the passengers were looked after under duty of care, then what compensation would be due?

Surely this is outside of scope for EU261
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I have been called upon 32 times for medical emergencies onboard aircraft for passengers and crew. Doing CPR on a passenger in an economy seat is no easy task and of course traumatic for all concerned . I have only had to ask to divert on three of those occasions , often there is no where one would want to land . A plane is not a great place to practice medicine .
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Claiming compensation in cases like this does, to me, seem somewhat inappropriate.

I recall once travelling on a Virgin East Coast train which hit and unfortunately killed a person on the tracks. Obviously, the train was then delayed – by about 4 hours. I felt very sorry for the train driver and crew who had to deal with the aftermath, also the family of the deceased who no doubt received the dreadful ‘knock on the door’.

I also felt very uncomfortable later when quite unexpectedly, I received an e-mail to say that a ‘Delay Repay’ amount had been paid to the credit card on which I had bought the tickets.

I gave an equivalent amount to a charity as I certainly did not wish to gain financially from someone’s very sad demise.
LNER formerly VTEC have a section now on their delay repay to donate the compensation to I think the Samiritans wether or not the delay is as a result of a fatality.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Yes, seems inappropriate. Especially as they were very well looked after with good hotels, vouchers for the orginal wait in the airport and again yesterday whilst waiting and catered the plane with complimentary drinks and snacks for everyone.
Which is where this much maligned concept of personal responsibility is so helpful. I would very much hope that if I was in this situation then I'd simply not apply for EC261. Indeed given the thousands of flights I have taken on BA since 2004 I've only made one claim, where I felt BA were pretty shoddy all round. I've neglected to claim on other occasions because while BA may have been strictly liable, I would feel uncomfortable about accepting the money, for example because BA did a good job of looking after me. In a way, it would be good if BA became aware of this, to encourage them more. I've only had one fatality on board (next passenger to me as it happened) in all my flying, at least to the extent I was aware of it, and that was on KLM.

However in this case there was a diversion, over which the airline would have had very little control. So this on one level is extraordinary circumstances and not open to Article 7 compensation. It may be that someone could be successful, for example if there was a quicker way to get to ZTH and BA weren't disposed to help, but that in a sense is self solving: If you were successful in claiming then you would have to be pretty determined and probably had something more significant at stake than sitting on a beach for slightly fewer hours than intended.
sammyg901 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Unlike c-w-s, if I am legally entitled to compensation from BA then I will claim it, regardless of circumstances or how well they looked after me. After all, BA fights tooth and nail to avoid paying out even when they are liable, and they wouldn't hesitate to penalise me if I were to miss a flight due to events that were out of my control. They're a faceless corporation and can afford it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Unlike c-w-s, if I am legally entitled to compensation from BA then I will claim it, regardless of circumstances or how well they looked after me. After all, BA fights tooth and nail to avoid paying out even when they are liable, and they wouldn't hesitate to penalise me if I were to miss a flight due to events that were out of my control. They're a faceless corporation and can afford it.
Maybe the FT powers that be could introduce a dislike button?

I have only had three compensation claims; two were pro-actively offered while the third received an immediate OK over the phone. In my experience, BA does not ‘fight tooth and nail’.

And I would consider it morally wrong to even think about putting in a claim under such tragic circumstances.

Doc Copper
Brighterside and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:38 am

Only on Flyertalk would a thread about a poor man losing his life in front of his wife on a plane turn to EC261 in less than 40 posts. Quite an eye opener, really.
Gengy likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by 13901
Only on Flyertalk would a thread about a poor man losing his life in front of his wife on a plane turn to EC261 in less than 40 posts. Quite an eye opener, really.
I understand the sentiment behind your post, but in my view a death shouldn’t shutdown discussion and turn the thread into nothing more than a sympathetic obituary.

Legitimate conversation should continue, even if one finds it distasteful.
wrp96, :D! and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.