Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA658 LHR - Zakynthos, diverted to Zagreb, 26 Jun

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA658 LHR - Zakynthos, diverted to Zagreb, 26 Jun

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84

I understand the sentiment behind your post, but in my view a death shouldn’t shutdown discussion and turn the thread into nothing more than a sympathetic obituary.

Legitimate conversation should continue, even if one finds it distasteful.
What's wrong with leaving the thread as an obituary and as a dazebao on which to pass on sympathies for the bereaved, the crew and the passengers? Must we really talk about compensation - the pricely sum of 600 euro, no less!!!! - even in this case? EC261 has been debated ad nauseam on this forum; there's a lengthy thread where all sorts of scenarios are played, re-played and re-re-played, from maintenance delays to acts of God to ATC strikes. I genuinely don't see what this thread could bring to the discussion on EC261.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by 13901
What's wrong with leaving the thread as an obituary and as a dazebao on which to pass on sympathies for the bereaved, the crew and the passengers? Must we really talk about compensation - the pricely sum of 600 euro, no less!!!! - even in this case? EC261 has been debated ad nauseam on this forum; there's a lengthy thread where all sorts of scenarios are played, re-played and re-re-played, from maintenance delays to acts of God to ATC strikes. I genuinely don't see what this thread could bring to the discussion on EC261.
Nor do I frankly, but that shouldn’t shut down the conversation as long as it is related to the thread topic. I am in a Voltairian mood at present and dislike the current trend of ‘If I don’t like it, it must be awful.’
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:29 am

I was onboard this flight with my family (two young children) a wedding. The BA crew really did their best to save the guy who apparently was in his 80s with health issues. It must have been tough for them and one of them did break down and cry to my wife. I did think a trained crew would be able to continue with the flight but thought it was Croatian authorities that would not allow it, or it had to return back with the deceased person.

However during and once off the flight everyone was very stressed and my 9 year old daughter having witnessed CPR was suffering an anxiety attack. We were left without information and we're not given refreshment.

Please do not be so quick to judge passengers who ask for information or "complain" at their treatment without knowing all circumstances. Our hire car company also advised they would have to let our car go and charge us a fee if we could not arrive that day which added to the stress.

On the return flight we were left on tarmac for approx 2 hours on a hot stuffy plane and only given free water after I complained. I even took water on-board as I always do when travelling as a precaution but had run out. This delay was due to a paperwork maintenance issue with the aircraft engineer.

So yes I echo the response above. Global corp will penalise you if you slip up or are late (see my hire car example). So I will be seeking any and all compensation due. But I certainly value and would not fault cabin crew (apart from the delay getting water out on the way back).
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Guilefox
I was onboard this flight with my family (two young children) a wedding. The BA crew really did their best to save the guy who apparently was in his 80s with health issues. It must have been tough for them and one of them did break down and cry to my wife. I did think a trained crew would be able to continue with the flight but thought it was Croatian authorities that would not allow it, or it had to return back with the deceased person.
Just to welcome you to Flyertalk and to welcome you to the BA forum. While I don't agree with you about the compensation issue for the outbound flight (and as far as EC261 is concerned I can't see that being successful), nevertheless it must have been a really bad flight, as bad as it gets really, so I'm sorry you had to go through this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Originally Posted by Misco60
Unlike c-w-s, if I am legally entitled to compensation from BA then I will claim it, regardless of circumstances or how well they looked after me. After all, BA fights tooth and nail to avoid paying out even when they are liable, and they wouldn't hesitate to penalise me if I were to miss a flight due to events that were out of my control.
Maybe the FT powers that be could introduce a dislike button?

I have only had three compensation claims; two were pro-actively offered while the third received an immediate OK over the phone. In my experience, BA does not ‘fight tooth and nail’.
I agree. My experience is also of a total of three compensation claims so far being paid straight away without any fuss.

And the other part of Misco60's post is also untrue: There are plenty of occasions when people have missed flights because of events that were beyond their control, and have been reaccommodated by BA without fuss or extra charge even though BA would have been within its rights to simply treat the ticket as cancelled.

Sometimes I wonder whether attitudes like this are formed from reading the highest-profile debates here, and not from personal experience of claiming compensation in clear-cut cases or missing flights because of misadventures.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Sometimes I wonder whether attitudes like this are formed from reading the highest-profile debates here, and not from personal experience of claiming compensation in clear-cut cases or missing flights because of misadventures.
I have personally had to use MCOL on two occasions after BA initially claimed that no compensation was due, and each time BA has paid up in full just before the deadline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.