Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA658 LHR - Zakynthos, diverted to Zagreb, 26 Jun

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA658 LHR - Zakynthos, diverted to Zagreb, 26 Jun

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

The aircraft positioned back to London and it looks like G-TTOB is positioning out to continue the flight tomorrow

Safe travels
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Craig Pollard
I'm a passenger on the flight.
currently in the westin overnight.
the crew didn't stop trying to revive the passenger during the whole decent. They were so quick and reactive to keep him going.
the medical staff that came on board tried also for around another 30 min. Unfortunately the guy didn't pull through.
He was travelling with his wife. God bless her.
Sorry that your first post on this forum is a macabre one, and thank you for the details.

Glad to hear the crew was so professional - this makes their training all worthwhile even though it was sadly not enough this time.

‘There is no cure for birth or death save to enjoy the interval’.
wrp96, KeaneJohn and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm a passenger on the flight.
Welcome to Flyertalk and to the BA forum Craig Pollard, thanks for posting here. It must be a very difficult and distressing situation for everyone, I can only imagine how upset everyone will be, particularly the crew, who appeared to have done everything possible to help the passenger concerned. It truly isn't something that anyone would want to see happen.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
This is clearly very devastating circumstances for all the crew, family and passengers who had to witness the incident. But it's times like these that we should really appreciate the role that CC have onboard the aircraft that we fly. God knows, they will have moved heaven and earth to try and revive the passenger. They are more than just the people serving you, they are the people saving you and taking care of your well-being more than anything, perhaps the next time people go to criticise them on another day, maybe just take a step back and consider all the amazing things they are trained to do, and will do for you when the most unimaginable circumstances happen.
shefgab, flygirl68, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Sounds like a horrible situation for everyone involved especially the family of the deceased. It's bad enough when this happens at home, but I can't imagine the trauma of having this happen on a plane and then ending up alone in a unexpected foreign country. I do hope someone from BA or the British Embassy are able to assist the poor lady and give her support.
fotographer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
At least ZAG is a BA outstation and has an Embassy. Therefore the relevant help for the deceased’s wife can be mobilised and in position quicker than is sometimes the case.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:37 pm

BA658 - Update: Check in will open at 1220 and close at 1335 local time. Departure time is 14:20 local time. Transport to the airport has been arranged for you, pick up time from your hotel is at 1145 local time. We are sorry for the overnight delay and thank you for your patience and understanding.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:44 pm

The unfortunate news that the man and his wife were travelling back to the island of Zante from USA (via LHR) after they had retired out to The States.
That poor women must be going through a living nightmare.
Would you believe the very few passengers were complaining about the whole situation and the inconvenience. What a World we live in
SK, wrp96 and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Would you believe the very few passengers were complaining about the whole situation and the inconvenience. What a World we live in
Unfortunately, yes... I can believe it
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's perfectly possible to have empathy for the passenger and his wife and also to be unhappy at the way that the delay was (perceived to have been) handled.

Passengers don't necessarily understand the niceties of crew hours and airline operational restrictions, and are probably not being unreasonable in wondering why, having landed in Zagreb at 17:30, it was not possible to continue to their destination the same evening. The OP also said that "the coffee shop lady is doing a great job of keeping [the passengers] updated", which suggests that BA weren't doing so.
ajamieson and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
How terribly terribly sad for the wife, and the crew, and of course anyone else who witnessed it. I have a couple of friends who have gone through this with a death onboard and having done CPR on a passenger, to no avail. Thankfully, one was able to be saved, which is always a positive, however still a traumatic experience for those involved.

Having just done my SEP and AvMed recurrent, and having discussed past incidents with the other delegates and instructor, it does bring home, like most years, what the "other" side of my job is.

Now that I have left BA, and fly on multiple other airlines to get too and from the jet, I am always very appreciative and thankful to the crew onboard, whomever I am flying with.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Oh dear. I came back to the thread and saw that it wasn't good news. What an awful situation for all involved. I hope those complaining remember that it might be them one day. These things happen all the time. I can think of worse airlines for this to happen on. All in all, it sounds like BA did a pretty good job in awful circumstances
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Its a sad world we live in, what is wrong with some people today.... this poor wife and their family... her husband died.. how would they feel if one of their loved ones passed away like that
some people just need to stop just thinking about themselves... (ok rant over)
spaninan likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Misco60
Passengers don't necessarily understand the niceties of crew hours and airline operational restrictions, and are probably not being unreasonable in wondering why, having landed in Zagreb at 17:30, it was not possible to continue to their destination the same evening.
My reading of this was that the crew (understandably) didn't want to continue, rather than being out of hours.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
My reading of this was that the crew (understandably) didn't want to continue, rather than being out of hours.
Whatever the reason, it's absolutely right that the crew didn't continue.
It must be an incredibly stressful and emotional situation for a crew to lose a passenger, particularly those working directly to try and save the man.
I find it incomprehensible that any passengers would expected the crew to drop off the poor man's body and then carry on with the flight. The crew wouldn't be any any mental or physical condition to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.