Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change of Booking Date for BAEC members??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
Change of Booking Date for BAEC members??

Due to unforeseen circumstances I need to change the date of an upcoming flight. I tried my MMB but it’s says Changes are not permitted as the initial fare was a basic price. I had subsequently upgraded to CE for two people. Would I have any luck calling the BA silver line for help? I just want to change the date so as not to loose the flights. Any tips?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Hi - unfortunately if you have taken a POUG to CE that would normally make the whole ticket non-changeable and non-refundable.

It may be worth phoning up to see if they can remove the POUG which would then mean that your original ticket terms would apply - you would need to pay a change fee even if they were able to remove the POUG, but it's better than losing the whole ticket. I assume if you've POUG'ed, you're outside the 24-hour cooling off period?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:22 am

Do you know what the fare rules were for your original ticket?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Also, to dispel any unwarranted illusion, the OP should be aware that BAEC membership/status has exactly zero relevance when it comes to rules regarding flight changes and cancellations. Your entitlements will in any case be the exact same ones as those of someone flying BA for the first time.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Also, to dispel any unwarranted illusion, the OP should be aware that BAEC membership/status has exactly zero relevance when it comes to rules regarding flight changes and cancellations. Your entitlements will in any case be the exact same ones as those of someone flying BA for the first time.
This is not true.

BA has and will bend the rules in some circumstances, and are more likely to for those higher up the status ladder.
cgtechuk, ATCOlad and bisonrav like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
If you bought a ‘basic’ fare in the first place it is unlikely changeable. The POUG will complicate this further.

If you're unsure of the original fare’s terms, you may have some luck calling, I would set your expectations accordingly though and don’t take any frustration out on the poor agent, who wasn’t the one who bought a non-flexi fare!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by teledude
This is not true.

BA has and will bend the rules in some circumstances, and are more likely to for those higher up the status ladder.
Can you give an example of fare for which change rules do not apply for BAEC members (or members of a given status) except for waive of change fees for avios tickets? As far as I know, there is certainly no formal entitlement, and whilst good will can of course occur, this is neither a right (let alone automatic) nor something to be expected, and it is usually not based on status alone. In this particular case, a non BAEC member and a GGL will get the exact same answer: lose the poug and change under the original fare rules. If anything, the reasons to need to change are infinitely more likely to matter than the passenger’s status if the change fee is to be exceptionally waived.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:44 am

Can you give an example of fare for which change rules do not apply for BAEC members (or members of a given status) except for waive of change fees for avios tickets? As far as I know, there is certainly no formal entitlement, and whilst good will can of course occur, this is neither a right (let alone automatic) nor something to be expected, and it is usually not based on status alone. In this particular case, a non BAEC member and a GGL will get the exact same answer: lose the poug and change under the original fare rules. If anything, the reasons to need to change are infinitely more likely to matter than the passenger’s status if the change fee is to be exceptionally waived.
You have just answered your own question
It's not about rules, more certain agents bending the rules for some.

A GGL is far more likely to get good will extended. Whilst this case "might" warrant the same answer - saying status makes no difference is factually not true based on my own personal experience.
cgtechuk, bisonrav and BAEC like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:46 am

A GGL is far more likely to get good will extended. Whilst this case "might" warrant the same answer - saying status makes no difference is factually not true based on my own personal experience.
My statement was that status has exactly zero relevance when it comes to rules regarding changes/cancellations. I’m still at a complete loss which part of the statement you consider untrue even taking your explanations at face value.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:51 am

My statement was that status has exactly zero relevance when it comes to rules regarding changes/cancellations. I’m still at a complete loss which part of the statement you consider untrue even taking your explanations at face value.
Ignore the "rules" for a second.

A GGL will have more success percentage wise than a non-status performing changes that don't follow the rules.
BAEC likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:02 am

Ignore the "rules" for a second.

A GGL will have more success percentage wise than a non-status performing changes that don't follow the rules.
so i’m saying one thing, which is fairly precise. you quote it and say that it’s not true. I say that I don’t really understand what is untrue about it even after you explained. you answer that if I ignore what I actually said, I’ll understand why what I said was wrong?

There is such a thing as fighting a windmill...
:D! likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
GGL is a ways from the Silver status the OP has!

my experience as a gold was that there was no leniency. if there is any leniency then you would have to be so much higher up the status structure you would know about it and probably would not need to ask on an internet forum.

While there may be a level of discretion, it should not be expect at any level and while we can mention that it may happen, IMO we should not set any expectation that it will definitely happen.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
This is not true.

May I try to help here?

orbitmic is quite correct that the entitlements will be the same regardless of status.

teledude is correct in that someone higher up the status ladder may have more luck outside of entitlement.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
May I try to help here?

orbitmic is quite correct that the entitlements will be the same regardless of status.

teledude is correct in that someone higher up the status ladder may have more luck outside of entitlement.
Certainly more agreeable! Even with that phrasing, however, I think that this would take some qualification. For instance, I think that outside of entitlements, status will weight for something if there is an incident with your booking (e.g. change of flight times but below what would allow rebooking for everyone), or if there are exceptional circumstances (e.g. illness, etc). Those open the way for possible changes with some level of discretion from supervisors and there I would absolutely agree that status could tip the balance. The other case where status can sometimes make a difference is at the airport (strangely enough, particularly at some outstations if you are a regular and the station manager has spotted you regularly on their flight lists!). There again, definitely, I would agree that status can make a difference.

Status alone though? As in you have to change a future flight just because your own plans have changed and there is a fee? Or you have a non-changeable ticket for flights which have not been impacted by any timetable change and you would just prefer to fly on a different date? I don't see it, and in many years of being GGL and CCR card holder, I have never been in a case where change or cancellation rules were waived unless there was a good reason or heard that it was for other GGLs around me (timetable change, weather issue, demonstrable illness of a family member).
brunos likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
May I try to help here?

I am still at a loss as to what this means. orbitmic is absolutely correct - in this particular situation, where a passenger wants to make a voluntary change, a status will not play a role and the fare rules will be strictly applied. Some other factors may open up other possibilities but not a simple voluntary change of a flight. There are no entitlements to speak of in the situation the OP described. I can't see how an agent can possibly note a reservation and why they made the change apart from noting that they were a Silver card holder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.