Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is British Airways really just London Airways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is British Airways really just London Airways?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Ah the semi-annual 'London Airways' thread to mark the solstice and the arrival of summer!

No doubt we're due another 'evil seat fees' thread which comes around as often as the full moon.
And don’t forget the geometrically challenged “CW is twice as dense as 1-2-1” whine we’ve just had above... Again.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere

Personally I wouldn't mind the London centric policy if BA had genuine feeder flights from the regional airports to LHR
Agreed but there are no feeder flights to LGW at all from many UK airports and the timings of those that do have them often means that many LGW only destinations are impossible to make same day connections to or from. That can't really be accurately described a 'hub and spoke'.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by subject2load

Fascinating insight.

No professional football currently being played in Manchester, or indeed during the next few weeks or so. And yet inbound flights to MAN from around the world have not (strange though it may seem) been suspended.

Just how, I wonder, do all those arriving pax manage to fill their time ......

They go on tours round the football stadia
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Totally agree - Talking of which.... the obvious bit missing in the discussion (or in the landscape for that matter) is HS2. In principle at least, it would make a lot more sense to have Heathrow as "The UK airpor" between 0.5-2 hours of most large English cities and barely more to Scotland than have BA duplicate efforts by starting lots of long haul flights from MAN or BHX. The reason why, say, AF can afford not to fly at all to Lille or Strasbourg or for that matter Brussels from Paris is that it codeshares on fast nonstop trains from those cities to CDG. For all practical purposes, you could make the argument that CDG is Lille's second (or rather first) airport. The UK is a lot smaller than France in terms of surface area and in practice that situation could be true of most of the country's largest cities.
Lufthansa do that with Deutsche Bahn too.

And to come back on HS2 and intermodality at LHR, it was already short-sighted decision not to link HS1 and HS2, so you can't have expected better decision making.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA
Angry British Airways? Nope, still London Airways

It's long been a frustration of mine that the British Airways web site is London focused, so much so that it's impossible to search for holidays, offers etc. from anywhere in the UK other than London. It's even more frustrating that there are very few direct flights out of the UK that don't depart from London. This year is very rare in that there are 2 direct flights out of Edinburgh to Florence and Palma
It's probably ten years since I first complained to BA about this, always to be told that the team are working on this and an updated search engine "is imminent".
The latest annoyance is the Centenary Offers page. Come on BA, if you want to be called British Airways, live up to the title.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
BA are operating a small number of flights at the weekend using LCY aircraft from a number of regional airports.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

I heard on galley fm BA might rotate some LGW aircraft via TFS to BHX, BRS, MAN for winter.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The regional bases were just not profitable.
GLA BA used to serve CDG twice daily and the only time the BAC 1-11 service made a few bob was during the Glasgow Fair holiday and when Scotland played France at football or rugby. The Tristar/767 service to JFK was another white elephant. I dare say it was a similar story at BHX MAN etc.. BA staff were on pretty good working conditions back then so when the low cost airlines got going the final nail in the coffin was hammered home.
And the business has moved on from then.
Costs are reduced, planes are higher density at the back, and more people are flying, while staff Terms and Conditions for MF are hardly going to make anyone rich.
The European market from rUK is pretty much gone thanks to the LCC and & ULCCs, but that's not to say that the right aircraft and right fleet flying from the north couldn't work over to North America. IAG seem to do OK from Dublin.
Two other parts of IAG have the 321XLR on order.

Still won't happen though.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by richardwft
I heard on galley fm BA might rotate some LGW aircraft via TFS to BHX, BRS, MAN for winter.
is this the same galley fm which led to rumours of BA restarting MAN-JFK to replace AA?

i am not saying you are wrong, but there have been many galley fm rumours over the years which have been false, and such a move would seem completely at odds with the current BA business model. Perhaps CityFlyer may dabble a bit more once they have their resourcing issues sorted, but I see mainline sticking rigidly to the two hubs.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
And the business has moved on from then.
Costs are reduced, planes are higher density at the back, and more people are flying, while staff Terms and Conditions for MF are hardly going to make anyone rich.
The European market from rUK is pretty much gone thanks to the LCC and & ULCCs, but that's not to say that the right aircraft and right fleet flying from the north couldn't work over to North America. IAG seem to do OK from Dublin.
Two other parts of IAG have the 321XLR on order.

Still won't happen though.
BA operated a 1.11 service also to CPH from GLA. Don't think it lasted long. During the 90s ofcourse the 1.11 services to BHX and MAN often continued to and from German cities. This continued for a while with the classic 737s also.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by demolineux
Does anyone know if BA have plane to expand their services outside of London?

Sure I don’t mind getting to London or connecting at Heathrow to go long haul. I do find it really annoying though that the only options I have out of of Manchester are often Ryan Air.

BA’s offering these days is super if you live in London, but up north/scotland/wales, BA’s offering is pathetic
Totally London airways and they even seem to be cutting back the number of shuttle services, making you pay the tier points the MAN/LHR sectors on rewards was another regional kick in the teeth.

MAN is my main airport too and the enforced Heathrow connection is a pain, mainly due it to it being at full capacity and unable to mitigate any delay factors. BA does have a couple of year round destinations with Sun Air and then there's the summer Cityfler stuff but other than that it's crap. That said if they did start doing other euro cities I'm not sure I'd fly with them, only benefit is the lounge access, tier points aren't enough to trump a scheduled based alternative and some of the other mainline co's still feed and water you en route (I don't generally fly club on euro short haul, don't find it value for money <3 hrs).

Even long haul now I tend to go from MAN with other OW carriers, AA to ORD (dropped off schedule now) was a 787 and PHL was an A330 (swapped to refurb'd 767 recently sadly) so gave good options direct into US, Finnair have some interesting connections and QR are running 787 and A350 down to Doha which makes heading south a pleasure.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by subject2load

Fascinating insight.

No professional football currently being played in Manchester, or indeed during the next few weeks or so. And yet inbound flights to MAN from around the world have not (strange though it may seem) been suspended.

Just how, I wonder, do all those arriving pax manage to fill their time ......

Not wondering where their banker or lawyers office is apparently <bemused>
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
....there's the summer Cityfler stuff ....
Are you aware of the non-summer Cityflyer flights from MAN?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Even long haul now I tend to go from MAN with other OW carriers, AA to ORD (dropped off schedule now)
Of course the fact that this route has been dropped does suggest it wasn’t hugely profitable.
James91 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
BA have 39 daily London flights to/from Glasgow and Edinburgh between them.....Not pathetic. [and not complaining either....]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.