Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club World: 747 Upper Deck or 777 (out of LGW) to Florida?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan

Hello all,

I will be flying from London to either MIA or MCO in October. I have the option of flying the upper deck of a 747 or up front on a 777.

I’ve read about the refurb of the 747s and it looks like I would have a 40% chance of getting a fully refurbished 747 with the new IFE.

I don’t know what the 777s are like out of LGW.

Since it will be a daytime flight, I would like good IFE, but am really tempted by the upper deck of the 747, which will probably be the last time that this would be an option for me.

What are your thoughts about these options? Are the 777s out of LGW in better shape than many of the 747s to MIA? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks much.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA:Silver (thanks paternity perk) , HH:Diamond
I’m shocked you aren’t going AA

personally id take the 747 UD any day over the 777
plus a chance to upgrade to first? Last time I was on a LGW J flight it was a three class bird.

also would pick MIA over MCO also.

whats your destination in Florida, does the drive after sway your decision?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Given no preference on the airport to go into for your final destination I would go upper deck on the 747 ( MIA flights will go from LHR T3 not T5).

I do not know what AA 2m status is ( are you One world Emerald or sapphire?) but without status you may have to pay for the upper deck seats in order to guarantee a seat on the upper deck as they can be popular for pax with OW status.

Regards

TBS
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
The upper deck without a doubt for me.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Given no preference on the airport to go into for your final destination I would go upper deck on the 747 ( MIA flights will go from LHR T3 not T5).

I do not know what AA 2m status is ( are you One world Emerald or sapphire?) but without status you may have to pay for the upper deck seats in order to guarantee a seat on the upper deck as they can be popular for pax with OW status.

Regards

TBS
2MM is LT OWS, so enough status to get an UD seat selected (if available).

It seems like an aspirational flight for the OP, otherwise I would pick the AA flight on the 77W in J vs. the BA options..
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
747 UD every time, regardless of lack of modernity. I really dislike the BA 777.

The AA 77W is a completely different story!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Fly to MIA fairly regularly on BA, and these days it's almost always a 747. Worth noting it's very regularly the one with less business class seats and that means it's the 'older' style one as you mentioned. Having said this, I believe BA are 'refreshing' a few of these- I believe there's a thread on this forum indicating which of the older style ones have been refreshed with the new IFE
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.

As mentioned above, AA 2MM = Lifetime AA Platinum = OW Sapphire.

I've been on BA's 747 upper deck before but that was many years ago. I read through the 747 'refresh' thread which is what prompted my questions. In that thread, people have described the unrefreshed IFE as dreadful and since I have a choice of the two types of BA aircraft, I thought I'd ask about preferences. Seems like it will be the UD on the 747.

This is OT but related. Although I've been on the UD before, I don't remember: How do the window seat folks get out of their seat? Do they have to climb over the aisle person? I've seen pictures and looked at seatguru, but can't figure that out.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
Thanks for your responses.

As mentioned above, AA 2MM = Lifetime AA Platinum = OW Sapphire.

I've been on BA's 747 upper deck before but that was many years ago. I read through the 747 'refresh' thread which is what prompted my questions. In that thread, people have described the unrefreshed IFE as dreadful and since I have a choice of the two types of BA aircraft, I thought I'd ask about preferences. Seems like it will be the UD on the 747.

This is OT but related. Although I've been on the UD before, I don't remember: How do the window seat folks get out of their seat? Do they have to climb over the aisle person? I've seen pictures and looked at seatguru, but can't figure that out.

Thanks again.
Hi,

Yes the window pax need to climb over the footstool of the person in the row behind ie 60A climbs over 61B's footstool and 61A climbs over 62B's footstool. The exceptions being 62 AK ( exit door behind these seats) and 64 AK ( bulkead /wall behind these seats) - even on the main deck it is similar ( window person has to exit via the footstool of the row behind)

Regards

TBS
tynmar likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Yes the window pax need to climb over the footstool of the person in the row behind ie 60A climbs over 61B's footstool and 61A climbs over 62B's footstool. The exceptions being 62 AK ( exit door behind these seats) and 64 AK ( bulkead /wall behind these seats) - even on the main deck it is similar ( window person has to exit via the footstool of the row behind)

Regards

TBS
Thanks for the explanation.

Sorry for the additional question: Is it true that 63B and 63J do not have anyone climbing over them? Seems like that would be correct since 62A and 62K do not have to climb over anyone.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:42 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

Sorry for the additional question: Is it true that 63B and 63J do not have anyone climbing over them? Seems like that would be correct since 62A and 62K do not have to climb over anyone.

Thanks again.
That is correct. Also, for most (human) builds you can exit 63A/63K by squeezing through the gap between the seat and cabin wall into the emergency exit space between rows 63 and 62, so for these window seats you don't have to climb over anyone either.
mikeyfly and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
747 UD every time, regardless of lack of modernity. I really dislike the BA 777.

The AA 77W is a completely different story!
Seconded!

rb211.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
64 J is the best seat.. and 64 A.. when it gets available.. many threads about the upper deck.. I would ALWAYS choose it.. even over AA 777.. as the service ratio is almost first.. and the food nowadays is better than AA, too.
BUT .. if the OP only asks about IFE?.. I have no clue. I never really pay attention.

So comfort wise the upper deck is a lot better.. a lot more space and better service... and as mentioned.. will be gone in a few years..

OP.. take this as your lead.. and fly a piece of history..
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
64 J is the best seat...
I think you mean 64K.

62A/K are good too!

rb211.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
I don’t know what the 777s are like out of LGW.
I would go for the 747 upper deck. My worry is that since LGW services 777s that are two class (no first) and are typically much older aircraft / have had heavier use, you would get stuck on one of those. 747 Upper Deck gives you that peace of mind that you won't be on a rickety 777, and have a higher probability on a seat/cabin with less wear-and-tear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.