Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Easyjet May Be Upping Their Biz Offering - Threat to BA?

Easyjet May Be Upping Their Biz Offering - Threat to BA?

Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
The only reason BA don't want the 3rd runway at LHR is because they know it would let such competition in and that would have a bigger impact than any other change EZY could make
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by vfw614
Well, I am aware of companies / organizations where Easyjet is usually the travel option that mus be chosen as they are not blacklisted (for being an LCC) and are most of the times the cheaper option. Much to the dismay of some folks who in the past travelled on legacy carriers.
Agreed. Most travel policies that I'm aware between myself and my friends don't exclude LCCs as they are often more convenient for people who live in places away from Heathrow (for example). You can enter your FF number into the staff travel system, but that didn't mean you'd get travel on that airline. Cost is always the main factor for those with multiple options (LCY, LGW and LHR) are my preferences in that order. My last work trip was to BCN and got sent to LGW, luckily on BA in that case. However some of my colleagues on that trip got sent to STN and ended up on Ryanair, having to buy their own suitcase allowance and then claiming it back through travel expenses!!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:10 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by dddc
.....However some of my colleagues on that trip got sent to STN and ended up on Ryanair, having to buy their own suitcase allowance and then claiming it back through travel expenses!!
That's where the penny pinching travel policies of some companies fall over spectacularly. Plus making employees go through the hassle of paying the essential extras (a good oxymoron there) themselves and claiming back through expenses. Probably all cost more in the end - any rigid travel policies in large companies I have worked for always seemed to be designed by employees who never actually have to travel
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BOH
That's where the penny pinching travel policies of some companies fall over spectacularly. Plus making employees go through the hassle of paying the essential extras (a good oxymoron there) themselves and claiming back through expenses. Probably all cost more in the end - any rigid travel policies in large companies I have worked for always seemed to be designed by employees who never actually have to travel
Some of us prefer that way or working (if you know what I mean...)
BOH likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:00 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Some of us prefer that way or working (if you know what I mean...)
I know exactly what you mean. My preference too, full freedom to choose hotels / flights etc and pay all personally and claim back. Quite amazing the benefits available in terms of personal credit card points and perks. The policy is simply "be reasonable" ^

Those I feel sorry for are whereby they have no choice and are forced onto some LCC, on a weird routing or in a hotel that is really not appropriate. I have insisted on arranging my own flights / hotels after once being booked on a London to Chicago flight that went LHR-LAX-ORD....because the person that booked it noticed it was £50 cheaper with 1-stop. She had no idea of the distances involved in the US and thought that LAX to ORD was similar time to catching an LHR to MAN shuttle
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
I have insisted on arranging my own flights / hotels after once being booked on a London to Chicago flight that went LHR-LAX-ORD....because the person that booked it noticed it was £50 cheaper with 1-stop. She had no idea of the distances involved in the US and thought that LAX to ORD was similar time to catching an LHR to MAN shuttle
She needs to come on here to learn about proper route planning.

That way she'd have booked you on OSL-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHL-ORD.and saved £75
antichef, Kgmm77, Sealink and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I do think that U2 has a significant share of business travellers already in many markets where it operated. I think it is more obvious in countries like France, Belgium, and the Netherlands where it uses the same airports as the main competitor (AF, SN, KL)
Same airports but not necessarily the same terminals and facilities. To take the example of France, they are OK at CDG or NCE but at MRS, they operate, like other LCCs and unlike legacy carriers, from T2, aka the Punishment Terminal (think Costco warehouse meets HMP Pentonville in terms of ambience), which is a distinctly unpleasant and not at all business-friendly experience. The same was true in LYS although I have not used them there in yonks so I do not know whether it still is the case.
BOH and orbitmic like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
Same airports but not necessarily the same terminals and facilities. To take the example of France, they are OK at CDG or NCE but at MRS, they operate, like other LCCs and unlike legacy carriers, from T2, aka the Punishment Terminal (think Costco warehouse meets HMP Pentonville in terms of ambience), which is a distinctly unpleasant and not at all business-friendly experience. The same was true in LYS although I have not used them there in yonks so I do not know whether it still is the case.
Dunno about LYS, but you've described the low cost terminal at LIS perfectly.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Originally Posted by Mordac
Dunno about LYS, but you've described the low cost terminal at LIS perfectly.
And BOD for that matter.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I am basically to all intents and purposes pretty much equidistant between LHR and LGW (crow-flies miles I am not, but travel time is the number that truly counts and in that it's close enough to be moot) and public transport for me is a fair bit easier to LGW.

So I might actually consider it for my shorthaul biz stuff (particularly MAD).

Although ironically what I would lose doing it that way is actually what I have found to be one of the nicer lounges (ie going to LGW but not being in the BA lounge there).

But if the flight times suit I'd give it a whirl. Partly as, tbh, if I end up on an IB codeshare anyway (which is happening more and more at the moment), and unless we're talking one of the longhaul A330 / A340s, it may as well be any low budget carrier as far as I am concerned. IB single aisle A320 in the back is a product I have zero brand loyalty to.

So it's purely TPs and lounge as the benefits for flying BA. And also, as I pick the carrier for leisure on a wider range of factors, and we often quite like flying out of LGW with the family, accruing status on another carrier, with a good route selection out of LGW, does make some sense for me.

My only concern would be whether the corp TAs view it as the thin end of the wedge and then suddenly start mandating me to do it that way.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
I am a great fan of U2 , they are good at what they do which is why they must have captured most of the main UK domestic trunk market. I well remember there handling of reservations during the weather shut down in February 18 which from my standpoint stranded in BFS was faultless.

Have these suggestions , may be more to do about seeing off competition from the likes of Wizz and FR ? I noticed in LTN recently more Wizz air Airbuses than Easyjet ones.

Ba is also pretty good at what it does but they are in a different market ; and I see no suggestion here that U2 are contemplating through transfers / ticketing
which would obviously step up the competition stakes
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've been opting for EasyJet at LGW, over BA at LHR, to ZRH for 3 years now. Primarily to save the journey to LHR (I live near Brighton).

I would certainly be interested in a business offering on the EasyJet flight. I typically pay for the 'Up Front' offer anyhow. Key would be to ensure it is not sold as J, and instead an upgraded Y experience - as that would rule booking this (due to travel policy).

Also for ZRH, EasyJet really need to sort out the punctuality on this route.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by NickB
The same was true in LYS
Regrettably, I can confirm from work commute that LYS is still awful and Easyjet uses the most awful shack at the furthest end of it. It's like the BUD shack, but without the space or the efficiency.

Combined with arriving/departing LGW from the remote piers across the bridge from the North Terminal, the whole LGW-LYS experience on Easyjet is exhausting. It's as if they're trying to help Eurostar!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:36 am

For me - the big risk using easyjet is that when transferring through LGW North Terminal from an inbound domestic Easyjet service to an international Easyjet - notwithstanding it's not protected connection - i have to re-clear security. At the moment, I chance it. But I wish they would sort out these issues
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I just don’t see BA management spending too much time worrying about the prospect of any significant threat to their intra-European network / revenue - or at least not for their LHR departures. BA’s position remains very strong in the s/haul business travel market, offering as it does such wide coverage from the main London airports, and bolstered by feeder traffic from North America in particular.

But I have it from reliable sources that Señor Alex did recently wake up in the middle of the night, cursing and sweating profusely, on learning that Emirates had somehow won themselves traffic rights for a LHR-JFK direct service - and with five daily slots.

He was just about to call for urgent medical assistance, but fortunately his good lady wife was able to calm him by explaining that it was in fact “just a horrible nightmare, darling”. Took her a while, mind you.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.