Wiki Posts
Search

RFS ticket yay!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
RFS ticket yay!!

I was just booking my flights to the MIPIM conference in Cannes for next March and was told by my colleagues I had to fly Ryanair from Stanstead at 6am due to ridiculous BA prices from LHR. Y was over £1,500 and J touching £2k. 8,600 Avios and a claimable £130 later I have secured 1F on the LHR flight. I wouldn't want to routinely use my Avios balance for business trips but the amount was so small it will not be noticed.

Interestingly the CW cabin on both the outbound and return is only 3 rows which seems odd given the enormous demand from people willing to pay ridiculous prices due to limited supply. Rows 4 -6 are blocked presumably to allow for the curtain to shift.
Sealink, argonath and orbitmic like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Newly Wed
I was just booking my flights to the MIPIM conference in Cannes for next March and was told by my colleagues I had to fly Ryanair from Stanstead at 6am due to ridiculous BA prices from LHR. Y was over £1,500 and J touching £2k. 8,600 Avios and a claimable £130 later I have secured 1F on the LHR flight. I wouldn't want to routinely use my Avios balance for business trips but the amount was so small it will not be noticed.

Interestingly the CW cabin on both the outbound and return is only 3 rows which seems odd given the enormous demand from people willing to pay ridiculous prices due to limited supply. Rows 4 -6 are blocked presumably to allow for the curtain to shift.
If they are selling Y for £1500 it makes more sense to sell 3 x y seats than 2x ce seats.
YacozA and ajeleonard like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by Newly Wed

see you there! Enjoyable few days out of the office

ps what’s Ryanair?!
alex67500 and travellingjake like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by TPRun

Certainly sounds like it! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43215804
"Cannes property show accused of sleaze and sexism"
"An influential property conference has become mired in allegations, of sexism, drunken behaviour and prostitution."

I of course assume FTers hold themselves to the highest standards.
T8191 and Deltus like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:02 am

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I've done RFS for work before. It was hard work explaining to the work travel dept why I wanted them to give me money to rebuy the Avios I spent, but the finance director got it when I explained over a beer I was saving them about £1000.
argonath and Takiteasy like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Sorry, not sure if I'm being mildly thick here but... Isn't RFS for Reward Flight Saver? I have a feeling what you're saying here is you got your flights through Gold Priority Reward for much cheaper than the cash price (with RFS on top)?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by mccartje
"An influential property conference has become mired in allegations, of sexism, drunken behaviour and prostitution."

I can't speak for everyone, but on behalf of myself: of course not!
That said, I only enjoyed myself in non-degrading ways (of myself or others!)

Originally Posted by Pumplekin
I've done RFS for work before. It was hard work explaining to the work travel dept why I wanted them to give me money to rebuy the Avios I spent, but the finance director got it when I explained over a beer I was saving them about £1000.
This actually makes so much sense! Normally I do LHR-MAD-NCE for MIPIM but I'm doing this in 2020!
mccartje likes this.

Last edited by TPRun; Jun 25, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:22 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by alex67500
RFS for Reward Flight Saver?
There is a 100% chance of me not getting refunded for using my own avios for a work flight. Even if it saves the company £1000.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

ps what’s Ryanair?!
Allow me to explain !

It’s what is commonly referred to as a ‘low cost carrier’, and offers an extensive network of interesting / popular destinations within Europe / North Africa - about 40 countries in all, I believe, and operating a modern fleet of close to 500 Boeing aircraft.

Worth adding that - In common with a number of other well-known large European carriers - Ryanair is not favourably renowned for some of its customer service policies.

If you haven’t yet had occasion to fly with Ryanair, just think of their inflight ‘experience and facilities’ as remarkably similar to that provided on a short-haul BA flight in economy class (some passengers accustomed to both do feel, however, that the BoB menu on Ryanair is marginally preferable).

HTH

Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
ps what’s Ryanair?!
The largest airline in Europe Lest we forget...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pumplekin
i never thought about buying replacement Avios but I’m definitely going to do that. It’s £143 to replace the Avios and with that £130 paid it’s still £1,300 saved and less than a Ryanair ticket.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500
Sorry, not sure if I'm being mildly thick here but... Isn't RFS for Reward Flight Saver? I have a feeling what you're saying here is you got your flights through Gold Priority Reward for much cheaper than the cash price (with RFS on top)?
Nooe it was not a Gold Priority Reward. It was a cheap Avis redemption which gave me the option to reduce the Avios component and increase the cash component which is recoverable from my business.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje

I.m a veteran female attendee and whilst I have no doubt that there is plenty of inappropriate behaviour I have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. If I did I wouldn’t go.
TPRun likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
There is a 100% chance of me not getting refunded for using my own avios for a work flight. Even if it saves the company £1000.
me too, I'll see you on board the FR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.