Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

To Oz and back; BA/QF F there and back or EK/QF J out and EK F return

Old Jun 24, 19, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver

So here's the question? We are planning a very special trip from LHR to MEL, returning from BNE in early 2020.

The price for BA/QF outbound on their 380s via SIN, return from BNE via SYD on a BA 773(all in F apart from the internal positioning flight), is almost exactly the same as EK/QF via DXB and SIN outbound on their 380s but in J, with a direct return from BNE on an EK 380 in F

I would be happy to take the BA option given the avios we would gain(not to mention silver status renewed) but I have read less than positive reviews on the 773 in F, and it's a long way from SYD to LHR.
Mrs Dorsetboy is attracted by EK and its F(having tried it once), and happy to go via DXB, but we have no experience of their J product on their 380, nor of the QF 380 in J.
Any advice for me? What would you do? Thanks in advance
Old Jun 24, 19, 2:17 pm

This is hard. First, let me rank the products:
1. EK F by far
2. BA/QF F
3. EK J (with special mention to their bar, which makes for a fun inflight experience). The seats are a little thin and hard, cramed compared to the F examples above.
4. QF J (A380 pre-refurb...assuming it won't be refurbed by then?), tired except that as a couple you might like the lack of privacy between the 2 seats.

I think I'd personally do in order of preference:

1. EK F/EK J if all A380. That bar experience is just too fun - and EK F is miles ahead of QF/BA F. Worth sacrificing a little with EK A380 J.
2. BA F/QF F return
3. EK F/QF J (if it's indeed QF and no EK J you're on for one of the legs)
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:39 pm

It is possible to book EK flights to oz under QF code hence 4 F EK legs will net 840 tps. That way you can earn avios as well as enjoying EK experiences.
Dambus likes this.
Old Jun 24, 19, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor silver
Also maybe consider QR...I would!
Old Jun 24, 19, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Not sure what your price point is or how averse you are to starting ex-EU? Out late Jan back mid-Feb from FRA gives you QF F private suites on all legs for £6,070.00 pp
Old Jun 24, 19, 4:59 pm

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
IMHO in F.
Hard product: EK > QF > BA
Catering: EK > QF > BA
Service: QF = EK > BA

In J unless on the A380 then EK loses out easily.
QF and BA on the A380 are basically even in the hard product. But QF has much better catering in my experience, and also better service.

If the TPs are vital then take BA as far as SIN and transfer to QF, and try and do the same on the return if possible.
Otherwise the EK A380 experience in F is hard to beat.

Im sure you will enjoy the trip in either scenario!

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jun 24, 19, 5:35 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Just be careful with Emirates and the A380 out of Brisbane and when you plan to fly. Last year they dropped the service and replaced it with a B777 for a few months before announcing to much fanfare that they were bringing it back, claiming it was a part of an operational review, and the like (although no mention of that was made at the time of it's axing). Weirdly it missed the European Summer months when traffic I assume would be at its heaviest going from BNE.

If all else is equal, I'd look at your arrival time at your destinations to see what minimises jetlag. My last trip was the reverse of yours, ie into BNE and out of MEL, but in Y and on Cathay Pacific - and on an all A350 trip. Timings and the comfort of Y on the A350 minimised my jetlag on this trip both ways.

Last edited by dddc; Jun 24, 19 at 6:02 pm
Old Jun 25, 19, 12:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I would avoid QF international flights in J unless it is definitely on refurbished J seats or if it's a day flight.

Non-refurbished J seats of QF international must surely be the worst of any major carrier. No direct aisle access from the window seat (you have to step over people's thighs or torso, which basically is impossible unless your legs are at least 3.5 ft long) and the beds that are supposed to be flat droop so badly that you end up scrunched up towards the foot of the bed as you slide down in your sleep... And zero privacy. Someone will have to pay me to fly on them.

QF A330 international seats are great though. Comfortable, enough space around, and with a reasonable level of privacy.
Old Jun 25, 19, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Guestimating your budget, based on the BA First option you presented, Iíd personally fly over to ARN on BA in Club on a separate ticket, then take EK in First via DXB.
The timings are now such that you donít require a night stop in DXB, and if the ticket is on Qantas stock, youíll earn Avios and TPs the entire journey.
nufnuf77 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: