BA Economy vs. Premium or Delta?

Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

So as not to extend the thread by too many messages, I'll reply and sum up here...

I'm 5'7" and my husband is 6'2", so the extra leg room would be appreciated. Just weighing the costs. I'd anticipated higher flight prices in economy, so the budget is available, but I hate to waste money...
We're planning at least one overseas flight for all of us each year, now that the kids are older. New Zealand and Japan are next, so we'll be racking up miles! Just don't know on what airlines. Language barriers don't worry us. Not even sure I'll understand anyone in the Highlands, but that's part of the fun!
We actually live in Eastern Washington and usually fly out of Spokane (GEG), so flights are limited and we fly whoever can get us to our destination, often Alaska or Southwest for quick flights. American, United, or Delta for cross-country.
Reading your responses is like learning a new language, but with many flights in our future, I'm keen to learn it all.
And who better to go to with questions than those who spend half their lives in flight?! My goal is to soon join you all in business and first class. (Maybe as elusive as the Loch Ness Monster...) Don't worry - our kids are angels, they won't bother you a bit - truly!
I'm going to do a bit more research and decide. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond - thank you.

And as a completely random aside - If you are ever in Detroit, the Henry Ford Museum has a super aviation exhibit - since many of you seem to enjoy aviation/planes. We just returned and loved it.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
If you're trying to collect miles in one place, BA would edge out Delta because you can credit your flights to your Alaska MileagePlan account (or if you decided on the BA Exec Club you can have a family plan for all four family members to pool into). And Delta miles aren't very valuable (no set mileage chart).

But that price jump to WTP is a lot, and regular Y is not very comfortable in my opinion for BA.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:37 pm
Suspended

One world airlines JAL and Cathay Pacific also fly from SEA, so seriously consider the near future opportunities. 62 is tall for BA economy without extra legroom and could be too uncomfortable.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'd go economy. $2300 more to travel WT+ or Premium Economy is not worth it as I see it. I think having kids and paying for 4x is the deal breaker. If it was one or two then looking at nicer classes is a consideration, but with kids it's money wasted as I see it. As CSW mentioned the A380 on BA is much nicer in all classes, so if Vancouver is an option that might be the way to go. Good Luck.

PS. As you may have discovered your posts are limited in the initial period after you've joined, so you may not be able to post further for 24 hours.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft
One world airlines JAL and Cathay Pacific also fly from SEA, so seriously consider the near future opportunities. 62 is tall for BA economy without extra legroom and could be too uncomfortable.
Seattle to Inverness via Hong Kong? Very Flyertalk, but only in Business or First! The flight length difference to just too big!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
Another option would be SEA-DUB-GLA/EDI/ABZ with EI ( Aer Lingus). A look at a few random dates give prices as low as $700 pp. Y only but avios collection possible via AerClub. Probably the shortest journey time and with less than 12.5 hrs possible depending on connection times.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cauchy
Seattle to Inverness via Hong Kong? Very Flyertalk, but only in Business or First! The flight length difference to just too big!
Im not suggesting that routing.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kaimik Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Kaimik
....We're planning at least one overseas flight for all of us each year, now that the kids are older. New Zealand and Japan are next, so we'll be racking up miles! Just don't know on what airlines.
Originally Posted by Gig103
If you're trying to collect miles in one place, BA would edge out Delta because you can credit your flights to your Alaska MileagePlan account (or if you decided on the BA Exec Club you can have a family plan for all four family members to pool into). And Delta miles aren't very valuable (no set mileage chart).
For a trip like this frequent flyer miles earned should be well down the list of items to consider (at the bottom)
Are you & the family members of a frequent flyer program now?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spokan...tional_Airport

AA , BA, Cathay Pacific CX, Japan Airlines JL, Qantas QF and others are all in Oneworld alliance. So you can earn & burn ff miles, subject to flights being eligible.

Alaska ffp is a partner of AA (for international flights), BA, QF, JL, CX and other airlines. The AS ffp is currently one of the best ffp. Not revenue based ff earning and no dynamic awards (yet?). But the AS award chart is very prescriptive.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners.

Delta is https://www.skyteam.com/en
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:19 pm

So as not to extend the thread by too many messages, I'll reply and sum up here...

I'm 5'7" and my husband is 6'2", so the extra leg room would be appreciated. Just weighing the costs. I'd anticipated higher flight prices in economy, so the budget is available, but I hate to waste money...
We're planning at least one overseas flight for all of us each year, now that the kids are older. New Zealand and Japan are next, so we'll be racking up miles! Just don't know on what airlines. Language barriers don't worry us. Not even sure I'll understand anyone in the Highlands, but that's part of the fun!
We actually live in Eastern Washington and usually fly out of Spokane (GEG), so flights are limited and we fly whoever can get us to our destination, often Alaska or Southwest for quick flights. American, United, or Delta for cross-country.
Reading your responses is like learning a new language, but with many flights in our future, I'm keen to learn it all.
And who better to go to with questions than those who spend half their lives in flight?! My goal is to soon join you all in business and first class. (Maybe as elusive as the Loch Ness Monster...) Don't worry - our kids are angels, they won't bother you a bit - truly!
I'm going to do a bit more research and decide. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond - thank you.

And as a completely random aside - If you are ever in Detroit, the Henry Ford Museum has a super aviation exhibit - since many of you seem to enjoy aviation/planes. We just returned and loved it.

You should choose BA.

If you decide that economy will be fine, then being on BA48 with a super hi J 747 is a perfectly acceptable way to do economy class and there is no real reason to pay extra for Delta.

If you decide to pay more to be in Premium economy then Delta's offering is not enough of an upgrade to bother with. If you definitely want PE then BA is the better value there.

That being said, for me personally, paying around 2x to be in BA's Premium Economy is not a great deal and I would stick to economy.

Enjoy the drive to Seattle. You live in a very scenic part of the world.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by greenarmy
You should choose BA.
I'd prefer Delta as (a) Schipol is easier to transit in than Heathrow (in particular, no redoing security), (b) they are much better dealing with delays, etc, and (c) I prefer the Delta product. But these aren't worth $500. Rather go for multiple nice meals out.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:25 pm
Suspended

First, thanks very much for any insights. My brain is on overload trying to find the best combo of flights/prices/service.

What are your experiences flying BA Economy vs Premium Economy vs. Delta?

We're a family of four ( 2 elementary aged kids) flying Seattle to Inverness. We fly domestically a couple of times a year, but this is our first overseas trip together.

These are our options:
BA Economy via LHR for $630pp/$2,526 total including their ridiculous seat charges - 747
BA Premium Economy - same flight for $1,210pp/$4,842 total

Delta/KLM Economy via AMS for $766 pp/$3066 total on Airbus A330
Delta/KLM Comfort Plus - same flight for$1,099/$4398 total

I've only just started researching flights, but those economy seats seem like a great deal. I'm just not sure I want to spend double that for premium economy on BA when the reviews are really mixed. Pro on BA PE is the separate cabin, but it's roughly $500 more than Delta's Comfort Plus. Delta's regular economy is $500 more than BA, but we get to avoid LHR.

I appreciate your thoughts. I'm in analysis paralysis!
Keep in mind when your are pricing the tickets, the online agencies as I understand quote the lowest fare applicable to all pax in the requested inventory. It makes sense because otherwise the tickets may each have different cancellation/change policies and fees.

However, if you do a parrallel search for one seat only, you can see if there are any fare buckets with 3 or less seats at a better price.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:41 am

I'd only bother with WT+ on the Eastbound leg. It will presumably be an overnight flight and for me personally it's the difference between getting a reasonable sleep and no sleep at all. For a daytime flight the benefits are negligible.
Also bear in mind that in economy you will be able to put armrests up and your kids sleep with their heads on your laps (assuming they're at a suitable age). No chance of this in WT+.

Personally I would avoid AMS, but I am not a fan of that airport. Lengthy taxiing, lengthy walks. Language is no problem as the Dutch command of the English language is generally better than in England.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:36 pm

Have a great trip with your family. We also live in Eastern Washington and often fly from Spokane (GEG) or Pasco (PSC). We also make the drive to Seattle (SEA) from time to time when the airfares justify the cost of the drive and parking.

Our family is older than yours, as the last of our four children is just leaving home. We have greatly enjoyed traveling with our children over the years. When the children were younger there were trips within the United States and cruises. When they were teenagers we started doing international travel.

Because there were six of us, pricing was almost always the most important consideration. We found that when flying to South America or Australia, we could save $400-$600 per ticket by getting to Los Angeles (LAX) to begin our international trip. (Round trip Spokane to LAX usually cost us around $200 per person.) We also used Vancouver (YVR) to get to London (LHR) when the price savings justified the drive.

I am 6’3” and my wife is 5’4”. When flying as a family we fly in the economy cabin. (Somehow when you are all related the seating does not feel as cramped.) When flying just as a couple, we will pay for the extra leg-room seats. I also have status on Delta, which allows me to select exit row seats at the time of booking.

Enjoy traveling with your family. We have such wonderful memories of traveling with ours.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I can see two arguments:

1) ba y and dont pay to assign seats. Just because thats cheapest and saves you cash

2) dl y via kl and dont pay for comfort plus. Because it would be the most pleasant: two window/aisle pairs, no neighbours, and much better transfer experience with no need to reculera security in either direction nor passport control (which will be fast upon arrival at inv).

with the seat fees the difference is small enough that Id go dl. If you are happy to wait till t-72 on ba the savings become a bit greater.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.