Swapping seats - any issues?

Old Jun 24, 19, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Swapping seats - any issues?

Quick question - just looking to reserve our seats for our family of 4 on a Club Europe service to GVA for half term next year.

There are two seats available in row 1 and I would quite like my wife to be able to sit there with one of our teenage children (the novelty of a front row seat for me wore off a while ago). Myself and my other younger son can then sit in row 7, which is the next one available.

However, the system will only let me reserve them if I allocate myself into one of the front row seats, as the gold card member. If I try and allocate the seat to my wife, the system gives an error.

My question is does it matter to anyone if we just swap seats when we are boarding? I suspect no-one will care, but just thought I would check here.
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:15 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
If you are the only GCH I am surprised that the system will let you take the two seats in row 1, but swapping amongst yourselves should not be a problem.
CharliesAngels likes this.

Last edited by johnaalex; Jun 24, 19 at 3:16 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Seems to be a recent change, when travelling with SCH gf I now generally get automatically assigned 1A and her 1C.
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post
If you are the only GCH I am surprised that the system will let you take the two seats in row 1...
That's perfectly fine.

Long haul 1a/k are not selectable unless you are a gold/ggl - so if you have one booking with a gold and silver only the gold can select 1a/k.

Short haul if you have one gold-ggl on the booking then you can select row 1 for all passengers on the booking.
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:37 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by CharliesAngels View Post
My question is does it matter to anyone if we just swap seats when we are boarding? I suspect no-one will care, but just thought I would check here.
They won't care, but I would just mention it to the SCCM as a matter of courtesy, either as you board or wait till boarding is complete and then inform and do the swap then.

Simply because some like to address you by name, and they may otherwise be surprised to find an Angel in a seat where they were expecting Bosley (erm, so to speak!)
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger View Post
They won't care, but I would just mention it to the SCCM as a matter of courtesy, either as you board or wait till boarding is complete and then inform and do the swap then.

Simply because some like to address you by name, and they may otherwise be surprised to find an Angel in a seat where they were expecting Bosley (erm, so to speak!)
Good call. Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 19, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger View Post

Agreed.

A couple of years ago I took my mother to New York. I had already booked a bulkhead seat and a regular window seat for her. When we boarded I checked with one of the cabin crew if it would okay to swap and was told it would be fine.
Old Jun 24, 19, 12:15 pm

You are entitled to a row 1 seat as a GCH. If you wish to swap with your wife as long as the SCCM is ok with it that is your business. As your children are teenagers there is no issue with emergency exits.
Old Jun 24, 19, 2:20 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
You are entitled to a row 1 seat as a GCH. If you wish to swap with your wife as long as the SCCM is ok with it that is your business. As your children are teenagers there is no issue with emergency exits.
The OPs selected rows (1 and 7) are not emergency exits. Even < 12 yo are welcome in row 1.