Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has anyone flown Air Canada A333 in J? How does it compare to CW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Afternoon all.

I'm looking to fly to Montreal around November/December time, and with Air Canada being the only other carrier offering direct flights from LHR, I'm pondering the idea of trying it out. However, it seems they fly the A330-300 on that route, which is configured with an aging 1-1-1 Herringbone layout, which I don't like as much as BA's seat when travelling with a partner.

I've scouted out some reviews online and food/drink/service seem standard fare for business class - nothing especially better or worse than I've had on BA. They have slightly better times than BA outbound though. Cost wise they're much of a muchness ~£1700 return.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced J on AC's A333?

Cheers.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Not me but my wife, she is a regular on that run (5-6 times a year) and prefers BA for the seat, thinks catering BA better but not hugely , BA lounge at LHR much better, much worse at YUL.
(We discuss this a bit from time to time, sometimes she is forced by company policy to go AC and grumbles but not much so really not much in it).
osirisSFN likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:12 am

I flew it a few years ago YVR-LHR. I found the seat to be a bit narrow, think VS. Food and lounge ex YVR were both very good but I found the flight attendants a bit surly.

Remember, some of the AC A330s have recently come in from SQ so they have their old angled business seats and the refit isn’t due to start until Q4 2019. Personally I’d go BA but the timing of their flight into YUL isn’t great
osirisSFN likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
I've flown AC in J to YYZ back when they flew the 333 on that route (think it's been 777s and 787s for a while now). I prefer the AC seat in J slightly, but can see how it might be slightly awkward for two travelers. Catering is probably a push, not great on either. I prefer the AC lounge at LHR, but I find Galleries to be dire. If you have GF access that's probably better than the AC lounge in T2. The lounge that BA uses at YUL has to be one of the worst in their system, to the point that I would genuinely recommend to eat or drink elsewhere in the airport. AC lounge at YUL is good but can get crowded.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Remember, some of the AC A330s have recently come in from SQ so they have their old angled business seats and the refit isn’t due to start until Q4 2019. Personally I’d go BA but the timing of their flight into YUL isn’t great
Just FYI, those ex SQ are being sold as Premium Economy and Economy. Not Business so if booking a J fare you won’t have them. (They are not on the London routes anyway.) Same with the AC MAX. Sold as Premium Economy and Economy. Not Business. On international flights that is.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:04 am

I prefer the CW seat over the AC 333 J seat. It's more comfortable, for sure and more private in my opinion. No question if traveling with a companion since on the 333 it's hard to converse with a companion.

I feel like on the AC 333 you're always looking at the side of someone's head unless you're on the A side, then you're looking at a partition the whole time. It's very difficult to look out of the window.

AC has espresso machines onboard and the cabin crew from YUL are generally pleasant. Never tried the lounge BA uses in YUL but I can say that the AC MLL is pretty good but busy.
osirisSFN likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Whilst the timing of the BA outbound flight isn't ideal, I think overall everything else is just in their favour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.