FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Awkward Incident on BA 164 (TLV-LHR) Today (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1975235-awkward-incident-ba-164-tlv-lhr-today.html)

Innocent Abroad Jun 23, 2019 11:31 am

Awkward Incident on BA 164 (TLV-LHR) Today

According to media reports a group of 18 British youngsters were removed from the flight today after one of them threatened to blow up the aircraft :confused: Too much alcohol I guess :o

The flight was delayed for almost three hours.

Here is a report in English from the Jerusalem Post.

UKtravelbear Jun 23, 2019 12:04 pm

from the report you link to

1. the ages aren't mentioned in the article.

2. Nor is there any mention of drink being involved.

3. A 2 hr 10 minute delay is not 'almost three hours'

Innocent Abroad Jun 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31231619)
from the report you link to

1. the ages aren't mentioned in the article.

2. Nor is there any mention of drink being involved.

3. A 2 hr 10 minute delay is not 'almost three hours'

1. They are mentioned in various Hebrew reports; I provided the one English link I could find.

2. See above.

3. Well.....

Finkface Jun 23, 2019 12:11 pm

Various articles mention that they were “youths” and “young men”.
A quick google turns up several, including this one. British youth threatens to blow up plane at Ben Gurion Airport - Israel National News

18 British youths were taken off a British Airways flight from Israel to London after the captain refused to fly them when one of them threatened to blow up the aircraft.

The participants participated in a private event in Israel. After boarding the plane, one of them announced that he would blow up the plane.

The captain updated the management of the British airline and was instructed to take the youths off the plane.

A security team was dispatched to the area, which carried out inspections of passengers and aircraft.

The baggage of the passengers was removed from the plane, which took off for London a few minutes later. The young men remained in the terminal

T8191 Jun 23, 2019 1:40 pm

Sadly, stupid has not yet been removed from the human gene.

Tiger_lily Jun 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Probably one of the worst places ever to pull a stunt like this

Often1 Jun 23, 2019 1:54 pm

"Awkward"? How is this "awkward"? It's criminal and I hope that they are prosecuted to the full extent permitted under Israeli law.

Deltus Jun 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 31231637)

Although given they've illustrated the story with a 737 that was retired in 2013, their reporting might not be 100% reliable...

jday Jun 23, 2019 2:09 pm

My wife was on this flight yesterday. Luckily she missed these pranksters. I think only Dubai would have been a worse place to do this.

Deltus Jun 23, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jday (Post 31231943)
I think only Dubai would have been a worse place to do this.

North Korea?

Innocent Abroad Jun 23, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus (Post 31231930)
Although given they've illustrated the story with a 737 that was retired in 2013, their reporting might not be 100% reliable...

Ha'aretz (arguably the most relatable Israeli newspaper) is a bit more updated and features G-ZBJA, a 787. At least the caption discloses that the photo was taken three weeks ago in Pakistan ;)

LTN Phobia Jun 23, 2019 2:21 pm

It sounds more like a grossly inappropriate behaviour incident than an "awkward" one. I wonder what's been done to the chap who committed such extreme stupidity?

orbitmic Jun 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jday (Post 31231943)
I think only Dubai would have been a worse place to do this.

Actually, I think that doing this in the US would be much worse than doing it in Israel. In Israel, they'd likely really evaluate the risk of the person doing this and if that risk is low they won't care much and likely dismiss those as cretinous kids which actually sounds like a pretty accurate assessment.

In the US, there is a far more formal consideration for "saying" it. In fact, it is quite possible that even saying this in the UK would lead you to a lot more problem than saying it in Israel.

Innocent Abroad Jun 23, 2019 2:44 pm

As far as I can tell from the media the entire group was released after the incident; not sure they'll be welcomed on BA162 tomorrow though....

Misco60 Jun 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus (Post 31231930)

It's just a stock photo of a plane to illustrate an aviation-related story. The vast majority of people, myself included, won't even know what type of aircraft it is, never mind that it is no longer in service.