Awkward Incident on BA 164 (TLV-LHR) Today

Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I would imagine that security screening at TLV might be interesting on the return
Auto Enthusiast and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Probably one of the worst places ever to pull a stunt like this
Exactly what I was thinking.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Interestingly end not that Im defending any action like this, one if the group is quoted as saying no threats were made and a misunderstanding and their main concern now was to get home as the police have concluded no offence has been committed.

Clearly two sides to every story and at the mere whiff of any joke the airline aren’t going to dismiss it.
oldone likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Completely OT, but when approach, go through and are in security in Nadi airport in Fiji it is covered in signs ordering people not to joke about carrying bombs. They're almost the only "notification" signs in the entire airport. Clearly someone thought they were being amusing at some stage...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:45 pm

It does look like stupid behavior and nothing more. The group was released by IAA security officers shortly after being taken back to the land side. They were well screened before the flight and poised no real threat. And yet I can totally understand the captains decision to offload a group behaving obnoxiously.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I would be extremely unhappy with the member of the group who said it if I was also a member of the group. I would be even more unhappy with BA for punishing me for it?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I would be extremely unhappy with the member of the group who said it if I was also a member of the group. I would be even more unhappy with BA for punishing me for it?
It might have been that only one made the inappropriate comment but the whole group may have been inebriated?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Interestingly end not that Im defending any action like this, one if the group is quoted as saying no threats were made and a misunderstanding and their main concern now was to get home as the police have concluded no offence has been committed.

Clearly two sides to every story and at the mere whiff of any joke the airline arent going to dismiss it.
i think it merely confirms my point a few posts above that actually Israel is far from the worst location if one is to make such a dumb statement. It was checked, dismissed as silly and empty, and the case was closed. Despite what many think, approaches to safety can be very pragmatic in countries exposed to permanent high risk.
wrp96 and :D! like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Typical behaviour of 'kids'. Always will be like this unfortunately.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Speaking of awkward, I was on 165 on Saturday and witnessed a shouting much with much toing and froing at the baggage carousel. An English woman was foaming about an older Israeli man hitting her with his case and pulling down her sock to show a mark then started on his wife as he wasn't apologising.
I felt for the poor young airport woman trying to keep the peace and prevent some fusticuffs
​​​​​​
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I was on the the this flight last night (should have been yesterday afternoon, but turned into last night...), albeit in First while the incident occurred down the back.

There was a series of events that caused the delay. It started with two families boarding the plane with infants not fit to travel with one of them having Chicken Pox, and while their offloading was taking place, the incident with these youngest began.
I was getting reports from the one of the FA's but didn't realise they were joking about having a bomb on board until the captain mentioned something about having a wife and two kids at home and had no intention of taking any chances, although he didn't specifically mention the threats (that I read in the media before we even took off).

In any case, at least a couple of these guys seemed drunk to me even at the check in area, and were singing loudly as they approached the gate, and being a little obnoxious.

One of the guys was wearing a Fur robe (I have a photo in fact...) and while anyone is free to dress as they like, who wears that when it's 35 degrees outside???
wrp96 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by clubman
One of the guys was wearing a Fur robe (I have a photo in fact...)
You tease! I'm sure an experienced poster like you knows where to find the "attach photo" button...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Deltus
You tease! I'm sure an experienced poster like you knows where to find the "attach photo" button...
He had a recording as well but its already been sold to the Guardian.
SK, DYKWIA, LondonAndy and 12 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
I'm confused- the article has a photo of G-EUPH (A319) and not a 737. It's captioned with:
The G-EUPH British Airways Airbus A319-131 makes its final approach for landing at Toulouse-Blagnac airport, France. (photo credit: REUTERS)

Maybe the file photo was updated after a bunch of people complained?

And I can't think of any airport, country or airline where it'd be anything other than a terrible idea to threaten to blow up a plane...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
The Israel National News article linked somewhere above has a picture of G-DOCU.
pythonisman likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.