MCO Orlando arrival time?

Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
MCO Orlando arrival time?

Apologies for this not being in the correct place if it isn't.

My flight tonight back to LGW is at 7:50pm. It's currently just before midday. I'm in Orlando. I want to drive down to Clearwater to see the gulf of Mexico beaches for an hour. It's a 2 hour drive. So I'd get there around 2pm. Leave around 3pm and be back at MCO for around 5pm. I may get delayed by traffic. I don't know the area.

Is there enough time for me to do this? Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I would not recommend this at all, Tampa traffic can be iffy especially around the times you will be travelling. However I do recommend Clearwater and am there again in August

If it had been at 8am I would have said for sure - get there after 10 and leave by 2/3
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

I assume that going to Tampa should be fine? An hour away and hour back.

Any recommendations of places to check out for an hour or so. I just want to avoid theme parks for the afternoon.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
In all seriousness, what has this to do with BA (bar that you are flying back on BA?).

I hope you don't miss your flight, but it is this sort of thing that does lead to missed flights and then people complaining about BA’s lack of flexibility.
tynmar likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:57 am

I wouldn't do it and I spend a lot of time in Orlando and central Florida. The traffic is so unpredictable. I would suggest going to Winter Park - it's a world away from the theme parks. You'll like it and it's much closer!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If you want to see a beach, head East to Cocoa area. Much easier for MCO
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:26 am

I wouldn’t risk it tbh.
its not just the traffic, but security at MCO and CBP are incredibly packed and can take more than an hour to get through
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:53 pm

Daytona or Cocoa beach areas are pretty nice.

if you had a bit more time Saint Petersburg is great, but in reality I would stay local, I tend to allow more time in MCO than any other airport, it takes me ages to navigate and security is never quick or easy.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Security at MCO can take forever to get through. Would not recommend!!!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Having done the Orlando>Clearwater round trip back in April, I'd say it's way too risky. It took me close to 3hrs on the way there and 1h30 on the way back at 10pm..
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Just as an update - I left my hotel in Orlando at 12.15 and arrived in Clearwater at 2.20pm.

I spent around 30 mins in Clearwater of which I spent about 10 minutes taking some photos on the beach after parking in a bus stop (and not getting a ticket).

I left Clearwater at 2.50pm and arrived at MCO at 5.15pm.

I did keep an eye on Google Maps and did chose faster routes going - including through Largo which was great as that was a very pretty route - better than the way coming back.

Obviously I didn’t have time to really see the place - but the beaches looked amazing and I think if I was to go to Florida again I would stay there or in Tampa.

I take on board how poor MCO airport is - how they have two lounges in the Terminal B - how its so small in the lounge they have two toilets in the men’s in total. How the Starbucks is so small you have to queue outside and how the air conditioning is very poor and the terminal is humid and warm. Not to mention the random mess of immigration and security which looks like it was dropped in the only space available...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by AlanA
I wouldn’t risk it tbh.
its not just the traffic, but security at MCO and CBP are incredibly packed and can take more than an hour to get through
What has CBP to do with a departure from MCO?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Often1
What has CBP to do with a departure from MCO?
Nothing, but the poster is not wrong when he says that security and CBP are usually incredibly packed.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Wow, 4 hours driving for 30 minutes at Clearwater. You must have been keen!! Next time, I'd recommend Pass-A-Grille beach. It's a bit further south (south end of St. Pete beach) but much easier to get into and out of from a traffic perspective. It's also much easier to park.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:24 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I do find it strange that somebody asks a question totally unrelated to BA, gets 100% answers saying "don't risk it", but then does it anyway...
HIDDY likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.