Large CE Cabins

Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by zappomatic

Cabin crew have no discretion as to when to get up - the flight crew will cycle the fasten seatbelt sign off and on resulting in a double chime, which is the signal to release the cabin crew.
This is only standard procedure if the Captain has deemed it necessary, due to the high probability of turbulence on departure. The Captain would then advise the Senior crew member of his intentions, and would signal the release of cabin crew through a double chime.

Outside of this exception, (at BA mainline) cabin crew can leave their seats as soon as the aircraft is clear of low level turbulence, and they judge it is safe to do so.

On very short flights where the weather on departure and enroute is poor, it can mean the crew may not be able to offer any service at all - although this is rare.

There’s nothing like 20 minutes of useful service time in a high CE load environment to motivate crew to get organised, and get the service rolled out rapidly !
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Although pax numbers and length of sector clearly do impact on the experience I've had excellent service in a 12 row CE and poor service in a 4 row CE cabin. I do quite a few AMS hops and although most are in ET, when I've been in CE I've always been impressed at the speed and efficiency of the crew. I guess they cannot hang about on that sector and simply must get on with it.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by Bar Operator

This is only standard procedure if the Captain has deemed it necessary, due to the high probability of turbulence on departure. The Captain would then advise the Senior crew member of his intentions, and would signal the release of cabin crew through a double chime.

Outside of this exception, (at BA mainline) cabin crew can leave their seats as soon as the aircraft is clear of low level turbulence, and they judge it is safe to do so.

On very short flights where the weather on departure and enroute is poor, it can mean the crew may not be able to offer any service at all - although this is rare.

Theres nothing like 20 minutes of useful service time in a high CE load environment to motivate crew to get organised, and get the service rolled out rapidly !
Thanks for the insight - interesting then that the AGP crew decided to sit for 20 minutes complaining about a big CE cabin but made no effort to get up and start the service - there was absolutely no turbulence on the climb and no chime to release crew other than when the seatbelt sign went off after around 15/20 mins.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by Chris9642

Thanks for the insight - interesting then that the AGP crew decided to sit for 20 minutes complaining about a big CE cabin but made no effort to get up and start the service - there was absolutely no turbulence on the climb and no chime to release crew other than when the seatbelt sign went off after around 15/20 mins.
That does sound very poor.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by Bar Operator

Theres nothing like 20 minutes of useful service time in a high CE load environment to motivate crew to get organised, and get the service rolled out rapidly !
Ah I didnt realise things were different at mainline, Im speaking from a CityFlyer perspective. Nothing like only having two crew on board to look after 38 Club passengers as well as doing a cold meal service and bar run for the remaining 60 Euro Traveller passengers to motivate the crew to get organised 😉
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
LGW - LCA today and waited 2 hours for a drink in row 1.

I requested a drink after one and a half hours but was told drinks would be served after a tea/coffee round.

I explained this was not normal and was shouted down by a plainly useless sccm.
george77300 and dubistokay like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Lioneye
LGW - LCA today and waited 2 hours for a drink in row 1.

I requested a drink after one and a half hours but was told drinks would be served after a tea/coffee round.

I explained this was not normal and was shouted down by a plainly useless sccm.
Sounds like the service was on the slow side. With flights departing before 10am, i believe it is the norm that the bar service follows breakfast / tea / coffee
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Have a LHR-NCL CE coming up with 12 rows .... dreading it!!! After recent experiences Im genuinely not sure what to expect.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Have a LHR-NCL CE coming up with 12 rows .... dreading it!!! After recent experiences Im genuinely not sure what to expect.
which row are you sitting in? The closer to the front the sooner you will be served.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Seems like LCA-LGW fared better than LGW-LCA.

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
LCA-LGW had Jacquart Brut Mosaique today, which I quite like but I know some people hate.
Doc Copper

Last edited by DoctorCopper; Jul 17, 2019 at 5:05 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Ive had a run of excellent BA flights recently and have generally been enjoying my experiences but returning from AGP this weekend in a 12 row CE cabin was dreadful - I have experienced a few of these larger CE cabins recently (I think there was another thread about this recently) and cant understand the inconsistency - sometimes delivered seamlessly but on this occasion it felt like the Purser had already accepted defeat before we set off - absolutely miserable on boarding , not hot towels , no pre dinner drinks - over an hour to get food and heard him loudly complaining in the galley about the large CE cabins and how impossible it is to deliver any kind of service. Also never seen this happen before but a passenger was removed from 1D to make space for an extra crew member and displaced back to row 8 away from their partner - a member of the crew then took the seat for take off - assuming not a new recruit as it was Eurofleet.

The tone and attitude of the senior crew members always sets the tone for the entire flight - certainly not a rant rant but just sharing the observations - this route is surely long enough to allow a fairly steady , organised service delivery - Ive seen it done so on much shorter sectors. My days of flying in 3 row CE cabins seems like a distant memory - sweet spot feels like 4-8 rows.
13 rows of CE on my last MAN to LHR sector, 33 minutes in the air, unusually no holding into LHR. Crew never stood a chance, they did try to be fair, almost to the point of throwing the offering at PX, last row hadn't been served as '15 mi s to landing' was announced from the flight deck.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
CE to row 12 - service suffers?

Just booked myself a Club Europe ticket on the BA632 to Athens next Saturday and I see that CE goes back to row 12. I know from past threads here that this isn't particularly unusual in itself, but I wondered what experiences people had of service levels on these front heavy short haul flights. Given the frequent comments about crewing levels it would be useful to know if I should be prepared for a quick pass by from the crew and little else.

I am in 1A so should be served pretty quick - but if the hope of a second round of drinks is more than an hour away after that I shall have to psychologically prepare myself! Do the crew feel overwhelmed on these flights?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
As usual it will depend on the crew on the day, I think most "issues" come when you have a short (approx. 60 mins) flight time

on a "band 4" you should have a drinks run, then the meal with another drink if you want one.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:13 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Ive been on several 12 row CE flights over the past year and in my experience, service only potentially suffers aft of row 3. Row 57 might be last to be served as they might use 2 service carts- one that starts at row 1 and moves backwards and one that starts at row 12 and moves forwards. I have experienced this set up when in row 5 and it wasnt good.

I think youll be absolutely fine in row 1.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by Jed; Aug 11, 2019 at 11:34 am
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If in doubt, ask if you can have two drinks in order to save them time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.