Large CE Cabins

Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:21 am

Just to put this into context, I was on an ATR42 flight from ATH-JNX (Naxos) with Olympic air. 12 rows with 1 cabin crew member on a 20minute flight. She poured drinks and snacks for all members in that time and did it with a smile. Some people like to moan and complain about conditions, find problems instead of solutions and some people just get things done.
I flew to ATH on A321 in CE also that week and the service was excellent, as were the crew. I find that the negative experiences are the exception rather than the norm.
SK, Dover2Golf, Dicksbits and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
FAO-LGW 10 days ago was also 9 rows in CE, the largest I have seen on this route and the 2 crew members were woefully overstretched
Just to clarify : is your point that 9 rows of CE on FAO-LGW represents an unreasonably high workload for a crew of 2 ? Or that appearing “woefully overstretched” resulted from them not performing efficiently ?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just to clarify : is your point that 9 rows of CE on FAO-LGW represents an unreasonably high workload for a crew of 2 ? Or that appearing “woefully overstretched” resulted from them not performing efficiently ?
When in row 1 I only get asked what I would like to drink after 45 minutes then something is wrong. The crew seemed efficient and were certainly friendly but as I said, were still clearing up trays as we turned final at LGW. Perhaps the 9 rows were filled with very demanding CE passengers but then the crew could easily have started their service 25 minutes earlier too. I had to ask for refills too. I also only ever got served by a single crew member.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by dougzz
But if you haven't got a drink 45 mins into a 2 hour flight what's the point of CE? I understand the explanations offered here and the wealth of knowledge of BA is staggering, but I just don't get why they couldn't get a drink. How much setting up can 3 people do in that space? I agree others would have asked for a drink, but isn't that because it's a reasonable expectation that far into a flight?

I agree in your context that it's a reasonable expectation to have been served a drink after 45mins. The point I was making is if the crew made the exception for one passenger it would open a floodgate of drink requests from everyone else who would also be keenly waiting for a drinks pass and knock the service out of kilter.
From what I can gather, there is somewhat of a log jam in logistics now on board the now desnified A321's and the new neo's. Galley space is virtually non existent especially at the rear and BoB stuff is often stored at the front. This means the BoB trolley needs to be prepped and cleared of the galley before the crew commence thr Club service. I've witnessed this several times with 4 crew literally fighting for space at the front galley. Not sure what the capacity of the oven(s) are but it's entirely possible for a large Club cabin that the hot food needs heating in 2 waves. With all this in mind I'm not surprised it takes 45mins to commence the Club service under certain circumstances. Does this make it justified? Absolutely not. Does it mean 3 crew are lazy, full of attitude and hanging about watching the oven timer just because they can't be bothered to conduct a Club service to the customers expectations instead of that laid down in the service delivery for that particular flight and load? No it doesn't
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mtikky
I was quite surprised to see 8 rows of CE on Sunday morning's LHR - MAN sector... I understand that quite a few will be connecting but that seems large for that short a sector at 8am.
That’s not unusual at all, sometimes there are several more rows of CE. What is impressive about MAN flights is that the crew are on their feet within a minute or so of takeoff and the service begins within 5 minutes! I have yet to see a crew not complete a service.
Sealink, PrimaVista and mtikky like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
When in row 1 I only get asked what I would like to drink after 45 minutes then something is wrong. The crew seemed efficient and were certainly friendly but as I said, were still clearing up trays as we turned final at LGW. Perhaps the 9 rows were filled with very demanding CE passengers but then the crew could easily have started their service 25 minutes earlier too. I had to ask for refills too. I also only ever got served by a single crew member.
I was in row 1 on my AGP flight and I couldn’t understand 40 mins in why nothing was happening - there were 3 crew members leaning on the trolleys chatting (and loudly complaining about 52 people in Club being too many)
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:17 pm

If there are more than 5 rows on LBA they can't get the obligatory 4 drinks runs in on the 35 minute flight.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Top class duo in CE on the Belfast flight yesterday evening. Knocked out 8 rows of Club with drinks top ups and considerable aplomb in what is basically 25-30 mins. Several demanding passengers as well. Tobias is perceptive - these guys were on their feet almost as soon as we were in the air. Much respect. When BA is like this it’s great!
shefgab and Sealink like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerP
Top class duo in CE on the Belfast flight yesterday evening. Knocked out 8 rows of Club with drinks top ups and considerable aplomb in what is basically 25-30 mins. Several demanding passengers as well. Tobias is perceptive - these guys were on their feet almost as soon as we were in the air. Much respect. When BA is like this it’s great!
I’ve had similar on a few NCL flights sitting in a row 1 I think the record came close to be asked what I would like to drink just after we flew over Windsor - on the AGP flight I referenced at the start of the post the crew remained seated through the entire (smooth) climb until the main seat belts signs were off about 15 mins after take off. Does BA policy allow crew to jump straight up to begin service prep immediately after wheels up on a short flight and conversely require them to sit through the entire climb on longer flights (also happened on my Rome and Faro flights) - I imagine unpredictable turbulence during climb will impact any decision here but just curious on what’s actually within the crew discretion.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Chris9642

I’ve had similar on a few NCL flights sitting in a row 1 I think the record came close to be asked what I would like to drink just after we flew over Windsor - on the AGP flight I referenced at the start of the post the crew remained seated through the entire (smooth) climb until the main seat belts signs were off about 15 mins after take off. Does BA policy allow crew to jump straight up to begin service prep immediately after wheels up on a short flight and conversely require them to sit through the entire climb on longer flights (also happened on my Rome and Faro flights) - I imagine unpredictable turbulence during climb will impact any decision here but just curious on what’s actually within the crew discretion.
I knew it would be good when I could hear the CSM plan and discuss the service with his colleague while in queue for take off. A bit of initiative and planning goes a long way in most jobs as opposed to not even thinking about it until the seatbelt sign goes off and then it’s a surprise that they are rushed!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerP
My personal best in Belfast CE is 3 G&Ts when in row 1, contingent upon the third being served in a plastic glass to settle the nerves during a nasty crosswind landing and smooth the bumps down Belfast Lough.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by Chris9642

Cabin crew have no discretion as to when to get up - the flight crew will cycle the fasten seatbelt sign off and on resulting in a double chime, which is the signal to release the cabin crew.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by mtikky
I was quite surprised to see 8 rows of CE on Sunday morning's LHR - MAN sector... I understand that quite a few will be connecting but that seems large for that short a sector at 8am

Since the first train from Euston to Manchester on a Sunday doesn't leave until after 8am, arriving not much before 11am, an 8am flight seems a good option for anyone from the south wanting to be in Manchester before Sunday lunchtime. On a weekday the trains start much earlier.

A stronger reason for the heavy CE load may be passengers connecting from premium cabins on the long haul flights that arrive at LHR from about 6am onwards. From observation of the luggage carousel there always seem to be a large proportion of connecting passengers on LHR-MAN flights.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bd95
My personal best in Belfast CE is 3 G&Ts when in row 1, contingent upon the third being served in a plastic glass to settle the nerves during a nasty crosswind landing and smooth the bumps down Belfast Lough.
Hold my pint

Five G&Ts and some miniatures to take away on my last flight to Belfast... hehe
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RGS5526
Since the first train from Euston to Manchester on a Sunday doesn't leave until after 8am, arriving not much before 11am, an 8am flight seems a good option for anyone from the south wanting to be in Manchester before Sunday lunchtime. On a weekday the trains start much earlier.

A stronger reason for the heavy CE load may be passengers connecting from premium cabins on the long haul flights that arrive at LHR from about 6am onwards. From observation of the luggage carousel there always seem to be a large proportion of connecting passengers on LHR-MAN flights.
Yeah. It’s craziest on those increasingly common weekends when Euston is closed for HS2 work. I’ve seen CE go to row 12 and one way tickets from LHR to MAN selling for north of £500...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.