Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Smoking facilities for BA travellers at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver

Travelling LBA - LHR - ARN this summer and one of my party is a smoker.
Searching the web, I see that there are only smoking areas landside and outside at T5, is that correct?
If our smoker goes landside to smoke, should they be sure to return airside within a specific time before the flight to ARN? I’m concerned about them / their bags being off-loaded by “the system”.
Thanks for any advice on this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Yes. If they go landside they will have to make the usual security conformance of 35 minutes - that’s pretty hard and fast so if their boarding card isn’t scanned into the security channel by that point they will not be allowed to proceed. On the plus side, you won’t have someone stinking of stale smoke next to you!
RJD1983, DaveS and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Scots_AI, this is what I need to know.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I'm sure T8191 will be along shortly as he has quite a bit of experience with this, but I believe he uses the bus shelter at the south end of T5 and as noted by ScotsAl that will want to allow plenty of time in order to meet conformance.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hardly worth the hassle and I speak as someone who smokes cigarettes, a pipe as well as cohibas....not all at the same time of course. I have survived many hours without a puff at T5 although I admit that's more down to my non smoking wife giving me orders more than the restrictions in place. The complimentary booze and food in the lounges does help keep my mind off it. 😀
RJD1983, 81romeo, aidy and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:24 am

Stick a few nicotine patches on them and they should be good to go. Nothing worse than sitting next to someone on a long journey who smells of stale smoke; be that train, plane or bus. Fortunately with LHR smoking restrictions it's not often someone does smell too strong. Some airports that have smoking lounges by the gate can make a miserable flight home!
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In the LBA to ARN direction it's fairly straightforward since though you have to go landside, and there is an unnecessary extra security scan, these days HAL really seems to have got rid of delays there, particularly for customers starting their trip at LHR, which your fellow passenger would effectively be doing. There is an official smokers' shelter at the South end popular with ground and cabin crew but that's at the wrong end of the building. So if it's for a quick puff I would go out at the North end, where is a fair bit of unofficial smoking going on just past the Sofitel and bus stops. Then up the lifts to North departures.

No-one's baggage gets loaded at T5 until they pass Ready to Fly. In your case this would be when your boarding pass is scanned just before you go up to the main departure level in T5, in the case of the smoker it would be at the gates to security T5. So long as s/he did that by T-35, both the passenger and the bags will make the flight. If you have an extra 10 minutes or so, then it's pretty safe (relatively speaking) to do this.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Not that I'm a smoker myself, but there is a whole area of FT devoted to Smoking Lounges!
onobond likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I'm sure T8191 will be along shortly as he has quite a bit of experience with this, but I believe he uses the bus shelter at the south end of T5 and as noted by ScotsAl that will want to allow plenty of time in order to meet conformance.
Confirmed

Not a bus shelter as such, but a dedicated smoking shelter. Populated by a lot of CC having a last puff before boarding themselves!
jerry a. laska and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the information, all very helpful, I appreciate it.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Hardly worth the hassle and I speak as someone who smokes cigarettes, a pipe as well as cohibas....not all at the same time of course....
You disappoint me!

(Emphasis mine.)

rb211.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Confirmed

Not a bus shelter as such, but a dedicated smoking shelter. Populated by a lot of CC having a last puff before boarding themselves!
any pictorial of where such a shelter is located? (I'm not a heavy smoker but I'd like one after a few LPGs if it's allowed) Thanks!

Edit never mind I guess this is on land side!

Last edited by W213Sal; Jun 24, 2019 at 1:30 am
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Yes, sadly landside. One shelter at each end of the drop-off zone outside T5, as far from the rest of humanity as possible. There are other permissive zones along kerbside, obviously well away from the doors into the Terminal.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:43 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I’m glad I don’t have to go through that palaver any more #5months

S
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74
I’m glad I don’t have to go through that palaver any more #5months

S
Congrats!

rb211.
RJD1983 and Saltire74 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.