Defence discount services changes

Old Jun 22, 19, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Defence discount services changes

I was looking on the DDS website at BA military services fares, seems there have been some changes over the past few weeks .
however, being BA, one Osage says one thing,mtge T&Cs say something else.
the new changes on the front page (and seems accurate when you go to the web site) is that only economy standard and Business are now available, plus no discount on BA flight and hotel or flight and car, so no buy now, pay later, only pay at tine of booking.
also, only BA fares, no BA franchisee or one world alliance partners travel

pity, it used to be a good discount
Old Jun 22, 19, 1:34 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Presumably the MOD pays for your travel, or do you have to go to some special website, book yourself and get reimbursed? Can you use it for personal travel too?
Old Jun 22, 19, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Its a discount, not covered by official defence travel (an entirely separate issue). Never used it as prices never seemed that good, but I think a few airlines offer it.

worth looking around to see how prices compare elsewhere.
Old Jun 22, 19, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Takiteasy View Post
Presumably the MOD pays for your travel, or do you have to go to some special website, book yourself and get reimbursed? Can you use it for personal travel too?
all serving or ex servicemen and women can get a discount card for £5, which entitles them to various discounts negotiated by the MOD, rather like the discounts negotiated for NHS staff and the Blue light discount card for emergency services.
there is a login for a page on BAs website where you can book. Itís not MOD paid, but paid for by the individual. Itís the same with Virgin Atlantic which gas a special real number and gives a 12% discount, (NHS staff for example, donít get VA discount, but do get Virgin Holidays Discount that armed forces donít fry..)

my post was to give ive a heads up to those on thus site that use the discount that tge Ts and Cs had changed
Old Jun 22, 19, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AlanA View Post

the new changes on the front page (and seems accurate when you go to the web site) is that only economy standard and Business are now available, plus no discount on BA flight and hotel or flight and car, so no buy now, pay later, only pay at tine of booking.
also, only BA fares, no BA franchisee or one world alliance partners travel
None of the above is a change, all that was in place from day 1. The main absence is that Basic fares didn't get discounted - again that was the case from day 1. Ditto things like the Hold bookings.

BA Cityflyer flights are eligible for the discount, but Sun and Comair are not, again not new. BA Holidays get a discount where you start with the flight and then add the hotel in.

Previously on Flyertalk (and see post 41 and 73):
BA military discount and first airline to sign AFC
Old Jun 23, 19, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Well, that’s strange, as in the past I have been able to either book flight only and add car, or Fly drive, both giving me access to deposit only.

now the car added doesn’t, it adds the car price separately and payment is wanted immediately, and fly/drive or Fly/hotel options no longer show, only flight only.
Old Jul 15, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Is it me or has BA pulled the pin regarding Defence discounts as there no longer appears to be any offers from BA via the Defence Discount Service website.

OF
Old Jul 15, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. ihg Spire Elite. Hilton Honors Diamond. Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by OldFruity View Post
Is it me or has BA pulled the pin regarding Defence discounts as there no longer appears to be any offers from BA via the Defence Discount Service website.

OF
A temporary pause apparently.

More info at the end of this thread:

BA military discount and first airline to sign AFC