British Airways safety

Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
And what is the risk of putting a cabin crew member on the flight deck - what about if the CC member (standing behind a seated pilot) was suicidal? There are no quick fixes to these issues.

Do we have a problem with solo train drivers, bus drivers or taxi drivers?
nancypants and george77300 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
In the case of the German wings crash, one of the key issues at the time was that German data privacy laws prevented the pilots' medical history from being disclosed to their employer (the airline). I would like to see a worldwide change here whereby an exception is made for mental health issues given that the lives of so many people are in pilots' hands. Of course pilots can still have mental health issues and not seek medical help but some kind of regular mandatory disclosure would at least reduce the odds of such a catastrophe happening again.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Saint4805
In the case of the German wings crash, one of the key issues at the time was that German data privacy laws prevented the pilots' medical history from being disclosed to their employer (the airline). I would like to see a worldwide change here whereby an exception is made for mental health issues given that the lives of so many people are in pilots' hands. Of course pilots can still have mental health issues and not seek medical help but some kind of regular mandatory disclosure would at least reduce the odds of such a catastrophe happening again.
and knowing your medical health was going to be disclosed the result would be you would be even less likely to go to the doctor to start with.

the answer to the problem is to ensure that the culture of the airline is one of acceptance and help so the pilot who may have a mental health problem or an alcohol problem can feel that they can disclose it to the airline, that the airline will provide help, and the pilot does not have to worry about being sacked.
IAMORGAN, trooper, BA6501 and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Saint4805
Great idea. You have just guaranteed no pilots will seek help for mental issues, achieving exactly the opposite of what you set out to do.
nancypants and george77300 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
and knowing your medical health was going to be disclosed the result would be you would be even less likely to go to the doctor to start with.
Well not necessarily in all cases. The pilot may have had a history of mental health issues prior to becoming a pilot but I do agree with your second point about culture.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:05 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by Jairz
I apologize if this sounds inane/stupid. I learned that British Airways (I'm flying with them soon) apparently does not maintain a policy of requiring two people in the flight deck at all times. With Egyptair 990, the Silkair crash, the Germanwings crash, the LAM Mozambique crash, and possibly MH370, pilot suicide has happened 4-5 times in the last twenty years on commercial aircraft which seems like a lot. That's an average of one every 4-5 years. It has been 4-5 years since Germanwings so I'm worried that next such crash is coming. Does lacking a two person cockpit at all times policy make BA less safe than other airlines? I know BA's past record makes them one of the safest airlines but, still. Thanks in advance.
Are you sure you want to be flying. If it worries you that much find an airline with a two in the cabin policy
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:33 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Two in the cabin is just another act of Security Theater.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Unless the second person was a trained pilot, qualified on type and sat in the seat then two people on the flight deck does not reduce the risk of death by pilot suicide one iota.. The policies on mental health welfare are far more relevant. With all due respect the two person rule was a knee jerk reaction made by non pilots who completely failed to grasp the reality of the situation.
The second person can open the cockpit door. Had that happened on the Germanwings flight it may well have ended very differently.
choosethedrew and Boten like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I'm not an expert on mental health, but I think the purpose of the second person in the cockpit is simply for the presence of another human - they don't need to be a trained pilot, or need to be able to fight off a physical attack. As noted above, we don't know exactly what happened in the cockpit of most of these flights (apart from Germanwings), but it's easy to see that it requires a different mental state to turn around and attack your colleague than it does to calmly change an auto-pilot setting. Just having someone there to say "Think about the consequences of what you're doing" could be enough to change the intention of a suicidal depressive.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by flygod
TCM, I would agree with you except:

This is assuming the "second person" is capable of restraining, single handedly, the "deranged pilot". If you know any police officers, they will tell you how difficult it is for a trained person to do this single-handed!
FedEx Flight 705 is an example of the fight for life on the flight deck. Just as well there was 3 on 1 on that occasion.
The two on the cockpit is, as had been said by others, theatre.
Sam Bee and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC
I totally agree we tend to overreact when things like this happen. Let's chillax and enjoy life.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC
I totally agree we tend to overreact when things like this happen. Let's chillax and enjoy life. I remember that one said. If we give in to fear of terrorism they won. I understand that this was suicide. People need to go through psychological test and they should be asked if they've got any issues at home or financially and then be helped with advice etc.

I agree with BAs stance here and would use them again in the future if I had to.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I'm more concerned about the Club almonds. They are unsalted these days. Taste horrible. Much higher on my list of things BA need to address.
george77300 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
German airlines (including Germanwings) actually dropped the two-people-in-the-cockpit rule in 2017 because "the two-person rule had no safety benefits - and could actually be more dangerous": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39749803
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
2 in a cockpit has zero safety benefits.

Does this thread, as it has developed, have any relationship with BA at all?
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.