Wiki Posts
Search

P Selling Class TP?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
P Selling Class TP?

I booked WT - BA upgraded me at online check In to WTP. I then paid for a CW upgrade.

But my account information is showing it as P class and TP from WTP (I landed an hour ago)

What’s going on here? Will I get my full CW TP?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
How much did you pay for your upgrade? This could indicate if they have charged a WTP/CW price or WT/CW. If the latter then I would expect you can claim the 140TPs. If the former then I think you may have more of a battle on your hands and they may say you are only entitled to the original WT TPs. Was the original ticket a cash fare or a reward booking?

However, never assume that what MMB states is correct and wait a few days to see what actually posts.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
From what you write, I gather that BA opup'ed you from WT to WT+, ie you did not pay for WT+. In this case, giving you the TPs for WT+ is entirely correct. And no, of course, if I read this correctly you are not entitled to CW TPs as you were opup'ed by one class and being opup'ed does not entitle to the TPs or avios of the travel class in which BA complementarily upgrades you.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The OP seems to have been opup'ed to WT+ and then done an AUP to CW.

The OP is entitled to TPs and avios for the originally booked WT cabin assuming it was a cash booking and not a reward booking.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
It is obviously a confusing one, given the opup.

If at some stage you pay for an upgrade of a revenue fare, the standard expectation is to receive the TPs of the new cabin.

If the OP has only had to pay the standard WT+ to CW upgrade fee, then he’s obviously played the system somewhat (not in a bad way) and I have no idea how BA’s IT will manage the situation.

Having paid for an upgrade I would say the WT+ TPs are the minimum expectation and given that he paid to move to CW, the expectation to receive CW points is not OTT
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
In all my years on FT and flying with BA, this is a new one on me.

I can see a justification for the following TPs:
WT - the original booked class. If the OP had upgraded with Avios and then paid for a CW upgrade, they would have received the WT TPs.

WT+ - The OP has paid for one level of upgrade from the paid ticket purchased which would make this arguable

CW - The OP paid to be in CW and hadn't performed an Avios upgrade

I assume that BA does have a policy for this situation and that they're following it, but that's quite an assumption!! I'm actually surprised that an Op-Uped ticket can be further upgraded so that's news to me

My worry would be that if the OP pushes for more, they may get less.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
You can only ask.

Generally id say you were awarded fairly, as an op-up would only get you TPs from your original cabin, so the fact you got WT+ award is a bonus.

But on the basis you can pay cash to upgrade WT right to CW, and then you'd get the CW TPs, then they might oblige.

However look at at this way: you paid for a one class upgrade, and you got a one class upgrade reward too. Presumably it made CW in reach which wouldn't have been the case without the opup
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
My logic would be that you should get your WT TPs plus 50 TPs, because you were op-upped to WT+ and paid to go from there to CW, so should only get the difference between those two on top of your original ticket. Of course my logic and BA's are very likely to vary but that would appear to be fair.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

My logic is that I paid for CW. Not WTP so I should get the TP for it.

It does right now show me with the WTP TP but it did that as soon as BA upgraded me. Either way I assume worse case scenario is I would only ever get the WTP TP if I asked them?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Spinstorm

It does right now show me with the WTP TP but it did that as soon as BA upgraded me. Either way I assume worse case scenario is I would only ever get the WTP TP if I asked them?
Operational upgrades do not give higher tier points or Avios. So if you bought with cash an World Traveler ticket, they operation upgraded you to World Traveler Plus, you would still only get World Traveler tier points and Avios. Even if you now paid cash to Club World, the normal expectation would be you still only get World Traveler, unless the price you paid was for World Travel to Club World and not just World Traveler Plus to Club World.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

However one of your upgrades was an involuntary upgrade - you only paid for one class of cabin upgrade ; involuntary upgrades should only earn based on original class of service ( though sometimes can get luccky )
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:32 am

Either way I assume worse case scenario is I would only ever get the WTP TP if I asked them?
i am afraid not. See my post above. You are entitled to get the WT points only, and any request for more is not going to be successful.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

BA credited the full 140TP to my account despite the flight info showing the WTP TP as I said before. No need therefore to chase this. I got the outcome I wanted and did nothing.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:51 pm

BA credited the full 140TP to my account despite the flight info showing the WTP TP as I said before. No need therefore to chase this. I got the outcome I wanted and did nothing.
always nice to get a bank error in your favour
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I had exactly this situation a couple of years ago, and even wrote in, I only got the WT tier points.

However, the op up obviously totally confused them at check in when I asked about the AUP, because they only charged me Ł185 to go from WTP to CW!! (LGW-LAS) which is the usual WT-WTP aup price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.