Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting Aircraft type on BA8749 LCY-MAH tomorrow 21 June

Interesting Aircraft type on BA8749 LCY-MAH tomorrow 21 June

Old Jun 20, 19, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question Interesting Aircraft type on BA8749 LCY-MAH tomorrow 21 June

I am on this flight on Monday (24th) and noticed that the first flight of the season , tomorrow at 07.00 is shown as being flown by aircraft type "EMJ" which Expertflyer decodes as an Embraer E145 jet. As far as I am aware BA Cityflyer does not fly this aircraft type. Is it a sub'd in aircraft from another airline?. Any insight as to what this may be or is it just an error on Expertflyer & Flightradar24?
Old Jun 20, 19, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
what does it say in the BA app and then match the seat map to those on the ba website or the BA source

if your flight has been subbed by another operator it will say something like 'BA8749 operated by ABC airline'
Old Jun 20, 19, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
what does it say in the BA app and then match the seat map to those on the ba website or the BA source

if your flight has been subbed by another operator it will say something like 'BA8749 operated by ABC airline'
I am not on tomorrow's flight so cannot see what a . Am on same flight on Monday. Want to take proactive action if they are using sub'd aircraft such as free switch to LGW flight BA2566. BA app says Embraer 190SR for my flight but tomorrow's flight said that yestrday.

Just looked again on Flightradar and it said operated by G-LCAA . Maybe something funny as this is a new BA Cityflyer aircraft.
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
you could so a dummy booking for your flight on Monday and see what it says, As I said above if another airline is operating the flight then it will show that.
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
The E-145 isnít certified for London City, so it wonít be that. It might be the Stobart operated E190s with the Virgin australia cabin? These are Ďnormalí BACF services and you wonít be able to change for free, I donít think.

The E135 is certified, but I these are few and far between. I donít think anyone Iím Europe operates them - Luxair and bmi Regional used to. A little Irish start-up called jetMagic used them from Cork to LCY, but I canít think of anyone else.
imkevinmc likes this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:08 pm

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by BrianDromey View Post
The E-145 isnít certified for London City, so it wonít be that. It might be the Stobart operated E190s with the Virgin australia cabin? These are Ďnormalí BACF services and you wonít be able to change for free, I donít think.

The E135 is certified, but I these are few and far between. I donít think anyone Iím Europe operates them - Luxair and bmi Regional used to. A little Irish start-up called jetMagic used them from Cork to LCY, but I canít think of anyone else.
Loganair use the 135.
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, KLM FB, Aegean MB
The seatmap shows an Embraer E-190..

Seatmap fetched from ExpertFlyer
Old Jun 20, 19, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by col747uk View Post
...looked again on Flightradar and it said operated by G-LCAA . Maybe something funny as this is a new BA Cityflyer aircraft.
Nothing odd. Just a new aircraft.
Old Jun 20, 19, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richardwft View Post

Nothing odd. Just a new aircraft.
If it was always going to be an E190 then why show EMJ only to switch back to E190. ?
Old Jun 20, 19, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If it was always going to be an E190 then why show EMJ only to switch back to E190. ?
The Stobart Aircraft have a proper business class seat (ex Virgin Australia). BA would need to create a new subfleet code to properly manage inventory and seating. It's likely that ExpertFlyer had this code listed as something else, for a different operator.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 21, 19, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I was on this flight today and it was indeed an E-190. Don't often fly from City but new breakfast option that I haven't seen before. English muffin, bacon, cheese and ketchup. Still have full English option too.
Old Jun 21, 19, 9:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
aircraft type "EMJ" which Expertflyer decodes as an Embraer E145
FWIW, other sites (see this example) decode EMJ to “Embraer 170/190”, which would then be consistent with “we haven’t decided which, yet”.

See also this FT thread.

The E145 may be a red EF herring.
Old Jun 21, 19, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
FWIW, other sites (see this example) decode EMJ to ďEmbraer 170/190Ē, which would then be consistent with ďwe havenít decided which, yetĒ.

See also this FT thread.

The E145 may be a red EF herring.
Just so long as it stays an E190 for Monday I will be happy as we are in 2CD with the massive legroom.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: