Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable Experience with British Airways in WTP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unacceptable Experience with British Airways in WTP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by lighting
Shanghai is a route that we will be using frequently for the company from now on so i'm going to be busy looking for a good, well priced business class and rewards programme that makes sense.....
I understand and agree where the OP is coming from/going with this.
While one terrible BA flight experience is not necessarily indicative of the same type of service on all flights, sometimes, it is just one flight experience which garners or loses future customers e.g. I have only flown one 2 hour leg on Hainan airlines on internal flight in China in economy and I was so impressed with the flight and service, that I would definitely fly them again.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
I certainly sympathise with the OP j also had the experience of BA9 but I was expecting it my biggest gripe is the lack of useful power options I did take along a power bank which saved me the ife was awful I only use it for the maps and the screen was jittery

I thought the service was poor no drink runs throughout the flight having been used to QR service it was a shock

I would certainly avoid traveling on the ba 772 and would opt to travel to BKK via HKG if I had to use BA for status requirements ( 4 BA flights )
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:53 am

Is it getting to the point where the Heathrow 777-200s are so old and out of date they should be completely avoided? How many years do they have left?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I dont ever touch any food served in the riffraff class, put on my F pyjamas even in WTP and recline and sleep as much as i can ignoring everything and everyone. - best way to survive WTP ordeals.
God forbid you'd ever have to fly economy...
AS Flyer, HMPS, aliceb and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Crofton138
Checking aircraft types is just as important as the timing/route/price for me. I wouldn't dream of booking any flights without knowing what type of aircraft I'll be on and it doesn't take long to add that into the flight search process.
Same here, and I do avoid the 777, other than to HKG where the 300 is used. But the problem is that the vast majority of people (even reasonably frequent flyers) don't understand/anticipate that there will be significant differences between aircraft type, nor would they know which ones are good and which ones are bad, so may end up very disappointed. The OP clearly perceived the product and service to be poor. Had any one of the catering/IFE/Seat and tray table been of better quality, then he may have been happier overall. But for all three of those things to have been sub-standard is poor form. Even if many of us on here shrug our shoulders and say "old news"/ "should ave flown via HKG" or whatever, the reality is that having such a dated product is clearly going to damage BA in the long term.

By way of further example, a friend of mine from Oz (QF frequent flyer) has just travelled on BA in Europe and said she was shocked at the fact that BA is now BoB. I was initially amused at hearing this, because it is such old news for me (and everyone on here) that it does not even register as worthy of discussion, but there are still plenty of people who are discovering that today's BA is a little bit worse than they had imagined.
mradey, HMPS, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:53 am
Suspended

....Being based in the North of England, BA is usally not the most convieninet airline anyway, so i'm going to start using other airlines and seeing how i get on. KLM, Virgin, Cathay and Emirates from now on !
Add in Singapore airlines from Manchester.
Try Cathay from MAN as well, they are using A350 aircraft to HKG, much better than B777s.
HMPS, lighting, ppp909 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. An insufficiently provisioned BA flight!
A dirty, broken down cabin!
Why, pray tell, am I not in the least surprised?
Scrudgy likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Shanghai is a route that we will be using frequently for the company from now on so i'm going to be busy looking for a good, well priced business class and rewards programme that makes sense.

I'm told the KLM business class is pretty good, but not sure about pricing, but have been warned about long waits in Amsterdam.
Now that VS are codesharing on KL routes, there can be some cracking deals available if you can plan far enough in advance.
lighting likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by richardwft

Try Cathay from MAN as well, they are using A350 aircraft to HKG, much better than B777s.
Or try SAS via CPH - I know the Intra-European product is pretty poor, but the long-haul business class features one of the best seats in the sky and the premium economy is newly refurbished. Should make the trip shorter too.
lighting likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
The worse WTP was London - Bangalore... it is because of the plane they use for the route, not yet refurbished.
Actually next times I have been upgraded or paid the upgrade on this route. I won't do this route in WTP again...
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by richardwft

I am taking cathay on A350-1000 tomorrow (BCN-HKG) and am genuinely looking forward, unlike the BA WTP experiences, all my CX flights have been outstanding and find CX A350 very comfy in J and W *havent tried Y yet*
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I used a 241 voucher, 78,000 Avios and roughly £1k in taxes to book the flights from Leeds, through Heathrow to Shanghai.
Why are using miles and instruments for a business trip?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
By way of further example, a friend of mine from Oz (QF frequent flyer) has just travelled on BA in Europe and said she was shocked at the fact that BA is now BoB. I was initially amused at hearing this, because it is such old news for me (and everyone on here) that it does not even register as worthy of discussion, but there are still plenty of people who are discovering that today's BA is a little bit worse than they had imagined.
The QF onboard offerings on domestic (which is equivalent to most intra Europe) ain't really worth the name though... It's purely gesture based and it will be gone as soon as they or VA blink.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
What a miserable experience. If that I arrived to find my seat in that state, I'd ask to be moved and if that was not possible. I'd get off. I am quite serious. I would not spend all those hours in the level of filth that you describe. It is only when people start doing that, that anything will change. It is not good enough and I would not tolerate it if I were you. Had they served me half cooked anything, it would have been sent back.

Did you see or talk to the CSD/CSM who would have been in the CW cabin?

I'd never fly them again if they did that to me - but then I pay for my own tickets. Lots of people are paid for by their organisations and have no say in which airline is used. I feel sorry for them.
NoY, mrow, mradey and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by Prospero
i do sympathise. The 2010 WTP seat is substantially more comfortable than the 2000 version and I too would feel slightly miffed to discover the aircraft had switched from a 777-300 at the time of booking to a 777-200 on the day of travel, especially given the length of your flight.
Originally Posted by Crofton138
Checking aircraft types is just as important as the timing/route/price for me. I wouldn't dream of booking any flights without knowing what type of aircraft I'll be on and it doesn't take long to add that into the flight search process.
This is all well and good, but having specifically selected MIA-LHR for a family trip in WTP to be on the 380, I recently had it changed to a 747.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
747s are a more complex case..... the best idea is to select future WTP seats based on aircraft type.
I'm still fuming about the change and as I am in row 13 assume its an ancient 747 due for retirement.

Last edited by TheJayHatch; Jun 20, 2019 at 10:37 am Reason: spelling :)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.