Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA or BA for Business?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for info everybody. Much appreciated. Looks like AA outbound and BA inbound then....

T
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Worth pointing out to the OP that this is a very frequent question on FT and that there are therefore a lot of existing threads on that so I'd recommend also searching for those for a lot more details on the advantages of both airlines.
Teamscoop likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Worth pointing out to the OP that this is a very frequent question on FT and that there are therefore a lot of existing threads on that so I'd recommend also searching for those for a lot more details on the advantages of both airlines.
Thanks, will do. Bit of a newbie with this...!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Teamscoop
Here’s a great / useful / interesting / etc thread to get you started...

Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)
orbitmic and Teamscoop like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Ahah, don't worry: not much magic to it - I know there are more sophisticated ways, but to be honest, when I do searches for old thread, I just use Google myself! Here are a few examples (just from the first page of answers but there are many more):

Comparison of AA and BA business class long haul (merged)
British Airways or American Airlines business class to Vegas?
Is AA or BA better now for TATL Business Class?
BA or AA to MIA/DFW in J?
BA 788 vs AA 788 business class seats
dcmike and Teamscoop like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Ahah, don't worry: not much magic to it - I know there are more sophisticated ways, but to be honest, when I do searches for old thread, I just use Google myself! Here are a few examples (just from the first page of answers but there are many more):

Wonderful. Thanks. Other half's retirement trip so don't want to drop the ball with this!!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oopsz
In business or club world, I would take AA on any widebody except the 767 over BA. I would take BA over an AA 757 or 767.

Depends on what you want to do on board. If you want to work, AA is better even on the 767. If you want to sleep, I’d vote for BA. BA > AA 757 though.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Prospero
Your routing opens up quite a few options, with a variety of aircraft types, cabin arrangements, and seat types.

If you are travelling between now and the end of October, these are the flights to choose from

LHR-ORD
AA47 Boeing 789
AA99 Boeing 788
BA295 Boeing 744 (86J)
BA297 Airbus A380

MIA-LHR
AA38 Boeing 77W
BA206 Boeing 744 (56J)
BA208 Boeing 744 (56J)
BA210 Boeing 744 (56J)

Personally, I’d go for the BA295 on the outbound. The 747 upper deck offers an experience unmatched by other aircraft. The quality of natural light you get on day flights is fantastic.

Inbound, I’d probably settle for the flight that best suits my schedule, aware that with BA’s 56J aircraft there’s a chance of an unrefurbished cabin. Not such a big deal on an overnight flight though.

But overall there are no bad choices here.
Spot on!! I am fully aligned with the above.
I normally fly to ORD on BA and when flew from Mia I did it with a layover at MAD, IB business cabin is pretty nice.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
doing AA and BA quite regularly in longhaul biz i'd prefer the AA 789 and 77W flights above any BA flight.

that said if it were me i'd choose:

to ORD: AA789, BA A380

from MIA: AA 77W, BA 747

the seats on AA are just vastly more comfy and the IFE on par with the newer BA systems. food is better...but the service can be a mixed bag on AA. usually to ORD it is fine because the crew are nice, its usually the JFK and LAX routes that stock surly AA attendants BA, well while i generally have great service, i'll say one of the worst flights was a LHR-MIA on BA in J with a mixed fleet crew. overall though, i lean more towards BA because of timings and a generally more consistent service overall than i find on AA--despite the seat being inferior to the 789 and 77W on AA.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by eugegall
As a fairly regular BA Club flyer we are flying to PHX from LHR next week on AA Business and we're both really looking forward to it. Looks far superior to BA product at the moment.

We were scheduled to be flying home from JFK on the UD 747 but I fell victim to the aircraft changes and am now flying back on 777. Thankfully its a short overnight hop so won't matter too much!
also AA has 4 flights a day to ORD - 3 of those are on 789 and the very first flight of the day is on 788.
I would say AA hard product in J is comparable to BA F. All seats are private and all aisle access. Also 788 and 789 cabins are small and feels more private.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
I would say AA hard product in J is comparable to BA F.
As much of an AA fanboy as I am, even for me this is stretching things slightly. Yes, the AA J product is very good, it does not have the space that BA F does, particularly when it comes to openness for where your legs go. Of course, I am excepting BA 747 F seats 1A/K from the comparison, since they are dire F seats.
VSLover and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by rossmacd
As much of an AA fanboy as I am, even for me this is stretching things slightly. Yes, the AA J product is very good, it does not have the space that BA F does, particularly when it comes to openness for where your legs go. Of course, I am excepting BA 747 F seats 1A/K from the comparison, since they are dire F seats.
I agree. "Pound for Pound" AA J is superior to BA F but on a straight comparison there is still a gap between them although it isn't that great.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Prospero
Your routing opens up quite a few options, with a variety of aircraft types, cabin arrangements, and seat types.

If you are travelling between now and the end of October, these are the flights to choose from

LHR-ORD
AA47 Boeing 789
AA99 Boeing 788
BA295 Boeing 744 (86J)
BA297 Airbus A380

MIA-LHR
AA38 Boeing 77W
BA206 Boeing 744 (56J)
BA208 Boeing 744 (56J)
BA210 Boeing 744 (56J)

Personally, I’d go for the BA295 on the outbound. The 747 upper deck offers an experience unmatched by other aircraft. The quality of natural light you get on day flights is fantastic.

Inbound, I’d probably settle for the flight that best suits my schedule, aware that with BA’s 56J aircraft there’s a chance of an unrefurbished cabin. Not such a big deal on an overnight flight though.

But overall there are no bad choices here.
Thank you. Being in the ORD area, I was set to disagree about the A380 from here as have not seen any press or TV mentions. Googled and found out it starts in Sept. Pays to ascertain facts before speaking !^

Hope other airlines follow.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:12 am
Original Poster

OK, I've hit a snag here. AA don't release their flights until 11 months ahead. BA release at 355 days so for our trip means I can a both ways BA trip on Monday 24th June [our travel dates are o/b 22 May i/b 12 Jun] or if I want to mix AA and BA as has been suggested then I will have to wait until Friday 12th July when AA comes on line. I want use Avios to upgrade so wanted to strike early and unless I decide to do AA both ways I maybe have to settle for BA both ways. Dilemma!!! Looks like AA both ways to me.....
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
OK, I've hit a snag here. AA don't release their flights until 11 months ahead. BA release at 355 days so for our trip means I can a both ways BA trip on Monday 24th June [our travel dates are o/b 22 May i/b 12 Jun] or if I want to mix AA and BA as has been suggested then I will have to wait until Friday 12th July when AA comes on line. I want use Avios to upgrade so wanted to strike early and unless I decide to do AA both ways I maybe have to settle for BA both ways. Dilemma!!! Looks like AA both ways to me.....
Ummm... if you are assuming that AA will absolutely, guaranteed open J cabin award availability at 11 months out, on the dot, you are likely to be in for a very rude and disappointing awakening. That is the earliest award availability can be made, but it in no way, shape, or form guarantees that AA will in fact make those awards available at that time, just means 11 months is the earliest it could theoretically happen. There are several threads in the AA forum documenting the utter lack of premium cabin award availability (or it's tie to married segments). Here are two:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion
More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Your original post simply asked which was better, AA or BA, you didn't add in the need for award inventory availability. I had assumed you were buying cash tickets.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but just know that needing AA to release inventory complicates the recommendation. At the end of the day, if you are dependent on award tickets, this whole discussion may be moot, as you'll be constrained by what is available.

Regards
eponymous_coward and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.