Community
Wiki Posts
Search

School dinner desserts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

Damn! Your swift editing robbed me of a witty remark!

Doc Copper
I won’t be precious about that response 😉
wrp96 and DoctorCopper like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mixbury
AA cater for infantile palettes: ice cream sundaes; cookies and glasses of milk.
There is nothing infantile about ice cream - serving items that may have limited appeal ( such as stodgy items ) vs ice cream - serving the latter makes sense to me

I would rather have a sundae on offer than a dessert that I wouldn't touch
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by AJLondon
May be a minority opinion here, but I personally *love* BA desserts. Usually the favorite part of my meal on BA.
Indeed!

Once of my favourite desserts on any flight was in F in 2012 when BA had some "Olympic themed dishes". Simon Hulstone's Chilled chocolate fondant with roasted hazelnuts, sugar tuile and salted caramel center (I did have to look it up). I had one with lunch and another with afternoon tea.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Come and live in Argentina and a BA dessert soon becomes a highly desirable item. I always give dessert a miss here for a fag and coffee instead.

Have to say my wife loved the T5 lounge puddings last time we were there....and she's a fussy bugger.

Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by T8191
Being something of a chocophile, some BA desserts appeal to me. But frankly I’m generally happy with the cheese plate ... provided it has some decent biscuits, and an extra fix of butter, please.
Cheese, good biscuits ( M &S Puffs ?) AND butter ? I need to take the flights you take ! ^
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I make Dame Blanche with melted Lindt Chocolate 70%.
Ooh, please share that recipe, PUCCI! A Dame Blanche - or, as I first came across it, a ‘Coupe Dänemark’ - might be simple but when done well, it’s unbeatable!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Surprised it has not come up but what kind of custard? Proper custard is a delight but the yellowish gloop which fans of the Archers will recall contributed to the near death experience of Rob Titchener is awful.

My tip for those people making proper custard is to put in a teaspoon of Vanilla Paste, much easier than using a pod.

I doubt that BA could do a good custard, but thinking about it a Custard Slice? Now that's an idea.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Mixbury
AA cater for infantile palettes: ice cream sundaes; cookies and glasses of milk.
Dear OP. You must realise that this is BRITISH Airways and not Air France and that desserts like a lot of the food are still at Infant School level.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Ice cream is not a dessert. It’s a children’s food which applies doubly to the awful sundae nonsense on US airlines. 😉
If they actually used decent chocolate I would not mind. I make Dame Blanche with melted Lindt Chocolate 70%.
So aren’t we actually having a discussion here about which is more childish — ice cream or a traditional British pudding?

And it sounds like PUCCI makes only childish desserts — Wikipedia notes that the Dame Blanche is “similar to the American sundae.”
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: QF WP
@salut0 are you TRYING to get pucci’s hairbrush?!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Flew Qatar from Penang late last year and they had apple crumble on the menu.... It wasn't really like anything you'd consider to be apple crumble in the UK but my god it was a delicious cross between a warm muffin, bread and butter pudding and crumble. Absolutely stunning!

Hoping spotted dick is back on my menu for my flight to Miami in August!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crumbles are an excellent dessert. Sadly much of the other stuff - spotted duck, neon yellow custard - is a hangover from the landfill mass catering of mid 20th Century UK. Not really a culinary era to be nostalgic for.
Dave Noble, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BA GfL
Whenever people say to me the British are not known for their cuisine, I say that there are two things we do better than anywhere else in the world.

1. Chocolate biscuits - Cookies are nice (if they aren't dry) but they are not chocolate biscuits. We have the best biscuits in the world.
2. Hot desserts - I love a rhubarb crumble or treacle sponge and custard. I oft argue with Americans that apple pie is infinitely better with custard than ice cream and that crumble is better than cobbler. The hot dessert is invariably the best dessert on the menu in First or CW menu and the cold desserts are often too chocolate heavy or cold and still frozen solid. As pointed out the soggy cheesecake is awful, not like a proper baked New York cheesecake at all and they love trying to make slices of chocolate or fruit sound fancier than they are by calling them a delice or parfait.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by MrALIG
Whenever people say to me the British are not known for their cuisine, I say that there are two things we do better than anywhere else in the world.
Yes all my (Muslim) Turkish in-laws do rather like coming coming for Christmas due to the puddings I make and even my normally tee-total mother in law will drink some of my trifle (not that that is a hot pudding)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BA GfL
As trifle has custard and is lovely I will include it in the list of great British desserts
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by salut0

So aren’t we actually having a discussion here about which is more childish — ice cream or a traditional British pudding?

And it sounds like PUCCI makes only childish desserts — Wikipedia notes that the Dame Blanche is “similar to the American sundae.”
Not childish, I would say - more School Canteen Level. Actually, I make Dame Blanche as I cannot be bothered with boiled desserts. Let us say that the difference between my deserts and the American Sundae is that I use real chocolate and real chocolate is very expensive in the USA. Moreover a Coupe Danmark is exactly the same as a Dame Blanche except for the addition of Aaquavit - so that is hardly Nursery Food.

I am surprised that not one airline serves Iles Flotantes as they are easily assembled on an aircraft. The other which really works is a Very Chocolatey Mousse. Indeed I think that the time has come for a revival of Black Forest Cake - again it would work perfectly. Unfortunately so many were dreadful, bugt a really well made one with proper cherries and decent chololate is fine - the only thing is that cream sours quickly.

Now I do apologise in turning a thread on School Dinner Desserts into a cookery lesson but if I, Pucci, can do this - BA should and could. Still, there's a thread on AA about an F menu where one of the choices is clearly a gastronomic constellation in their culinary crown is actually a Chicken Leg in some jus or other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.